Where to get woodworking plans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASETECH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some projects I want to tackle, one is making dressers for my kids. Any suggestions on where to get good plans?

woodworkers' rules of thumb

Published by the 'Woodworkers Journal" the book is by Ken Horner.

This is a great little 50 page book that gives you the basics on everything - how high chair sets should be (and other furniture proportions), different joinery applications, load capacity of shelves, moisture content, etc.

Clearly written and good pictures.

If you are looking for specific plans, this is not the book for you. If you are looking to do your own designs and need a good reference, this is it.

I bought it a Rockler.

Hope that's helpful.

Mike

See if Norm Abrams from This Old House and Old Yankee Workshop has a web site. He does a lot of great looking projects. They are too complicated for me. Here's a sample of my meager work.

bittorrent

Seriously though, the big woodworking magazines almost all have plans/ideas for sale on their websites. Fine Woodworking (my favorite) especially has some great stuff; they've published books as well over the years, and they also offer a DVD with EVERY issue in PDF format from the first one in 1975 (I think) up until 2008. There are tons of ideas in there, not to mention other invaluable information such as readers' ideas and submissions. Woodsmith and Shopnotes sell plans from back issues as well, I believe. Their plans are often the most detailed out of the major magazines, though the projects are not always as refined or complicated.

Thanks for the input guys. I figured you would have some useful tips. I kept getting the same hits on the web.

Latest posts

Back