Where to talk about Axe's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys since this forum is looked at most where do I go to find out information on falling axes or axes in general.

Jamie it is neat to actually to talk to a celebrity I live down in SC and we have one little event every October sort of like the Timbersport series but alot smaller and mainly local guys and gals, I want to compete in some type of chopping event mainly whatever it is called where you stand over it or the side chop or whatever it is called and i dont want to buy a racing ax yet until I like it and can afford one of those expensive devils. I know nothing about the spring board so I am staying off them things. I have been looking at axes mainly the felling type what is your choice if you were referring someone to buy one I have seen the ones from Sweden cant think of there name and the other one from Germany and then this neat one called the Helko Vario 2000 but you know alot more than I so I want some input, thanks

StihlBoy440 said:
Jamie it is neat to actually to talk to a celebrity I live down in SC and we have one little event every October sort of like the Timbersport series but alot smaller and mainly local guys and gals, I want to compete in some type of chopping event mainly whatever it is called where you stand over it or the side chop or whatever it is called and i dont want to buy a racing ax yet until I like it and can afford one of those expensive devils. I know nothing about the spring board so I am staying off them things. I have been looking at axes mainly the felling type what is your choice if you were referring someone to buy one I have seen the ones from Sweden cant think of there name and the other one from Germany and then this neat one called the Helko Vario 2000 but you know alot more than I so I want some input, thanks

Sthilboy440,
Thanks so much for your kind words. I don't know about "celebrity" or anything like that. I'm just a guy who chops and saws wood who's lucky enough to get on TV every once and a while.

There's two great places to get the types of axes you're talking about. The first is www.baileysonline.com and look for the collegiate or smaller tougher thicker tuatahi. The second is www.racingaxes.com and look for the forestor axe - it has a five to six inch cutting face and can take a lot of abuse. I train with a forestor during the winter and a beat up hytest during the summer. I don't use a good axe for training until about two weeks before a big event.

If you want to learn more about chopping and sawing, go to the forums on www.axemensnews.com It's a gratius and unsponsored site my misses and I host. The whole point of the site is to encourage interest in lumberjack sports that's driven toward competitors and people who are interested in competing and learning more about equipment and techniques.

All the best,
jamie

Hey There Stihlboy440!

It sounds like I'm just the guy you want to talk to. I'm helping out with a little organization here in the SE called the South Atlantic Woodsmen's Association, and we are promoting and running professional lumberjack sports contests based in NC but also with contests in VA and SC and with competitors from NC, SC, VA, TN and GA. We have underhand chopping (the one where you stand on the block and cut between your feet) standing chop, 1 man and 2 man cross cut, axe throw and open hot saw as our events and we run 8-10 contests each year. Our annual meeting is actually this saturday in Salisbury NC if you are interested. After the meeting a numbe rof the members will be gathering at my place for a little training camp to start getting ready for the season. One of the great things about the SAWA is that I loan out axes and hand saws for any members that don't have their own gear so that they can get their feet wet without going bankrupt. The only thing is you have to have come to at least one training before I'll lend you equipment at a contest (safety reasons).

Let me know if you are interested!
Mike

Hey Jamie,
Off topic, but I saw your name and thought I should say hi. I was in West Virginia a few years back with my sawing partner Cecil Starr, we meet up with you and Jonesy and chopped some hard a$$ Tulip. As I recall we bent two axes:bang: but had a lot of fun. They called me Karm then but my name is Darren Kearns, I have not been competing for a few years now but with two boys and running my tree business there is not a lot of time for that. Anyway take care and good to see your name here.

green leaf said:
Hey Jamie,
Off topic, but I saw your name and thought I should say hi. I was in West Virginia a few years back with my sawing partner Cecil Starr, we meet up with you and Jonesy and chopped some hard a$$ Tulip. As I recall we bent two axes:bang: but had a lot of fun. They called me Karm then but my name is Darren Kearns, I have not been competing for a few years now but with two boys and running my tree business there is not a lot of time for that. Anyway take care and good to see your name here.

Darren I remember you. It's great to hear from you again. That was a good time we had freezing our butts off in the snow wasn't it? Good lord, that's been almost six or seven years ago, hasn't it? Great to have you aboard. Hopefully you can get yourself back into the game someday. Cecil's doing really well.

all the best,
Jamie

Latest posts

Back