Felling wedges used with axes, sledges... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take it you've not ever hit a wedge that bounced your axe right back at you?
Thats when more weight makes a tremendous difference. It's a very noticeable feeling when you hit one square & that energy transfers.
Yes, but only when the wedge has bottomed out. On the 6' oak that I took down in the back yard last year, I had no problems driving the wedges. Then again, I wasn't trying to drive it against its natural lean either.

I recently listened to some jawboning about horsepower and torque.. Made me think of this thread,, I did not participate in it.. But some of it was eerily similar.
Yep, horsepower and torque are totally different units.
Horsepower = energy/time = work/time = force x distance / time.
Torque is just a force.

Yep, horsepower and torque are totally different units.
Horsepower = energy/time = work/time = force x distance / time.
Torque is the moving force, the (grunt so to speak) horsepower is how fast it moves.

I like to equate it to baseball/softball and swinging a heavier bat vs a lighter [faster] bat...But one also has to factor in the weight of the person swinging it [as "anchor"], the weight of arms/extension, etc. Or like watching George Foreman highlights, especially in his older years where it does not look like he has fast hands, but they are sledgehammers and layin' some guys out! Or your "framing hammer" vs a finish or tap hammer that hits the 16 p nail...You can only provide so much Velocity with a lack of Mass to get your Momentum IE nail [wedge] movement...

Yep, I stand corrected, you are all right regarding the necessity of the axe.
The axe is also great when you see a weepy, oozy, wound spot on the tree, Best to carefully chip away at it to inspect for metal such as an eye bolt or railroad spike, before cutting with the chainsaw.

.As a side note, Buckin Billy Ray has a 2 year old youtube video called "Tree Felling-Wedging, And The Importance Of Holding Wood". If you go to the 12:00 to 12:17 you get a real good look at his leather harness/tool belt. I wonder where he aquired that harness? All the ones I see offered like at Bailey's are the very expensive kevlar/nylon/cloth units.
Where'd he buy that leather set up?

From what I researched since asking about this, Weaver does not make an "all leather" set up, but Occidental Leather does.
Or maybe Buckin is using an older Weaver set up, that was manufactured some years ago when they used all leather.

Yep, those weaver products are good and the axe pouch was just on sale at Am. for $40 something and well made...As many have said, Axe's are the way to go for multiple reasons vs sledge especially when you bury your wedge into the backcut to where it is flush with the cambium/bark and you need a narrow profile axe to finish vs a sledge that keeps hitting the tree and cannot further the wedge. 28" straight handle works for me.
1682457902220.jpeg

And we know that anything BBR has or does is the coolest! lol [and he will lyk too]! I gotta say that he is knowledgable on falling and bucking, etc. but it kills me to see how inefficient he is by the amount of times he has to handle that wood before it sees his fireplace! Toss some firewood pallet/bins in the old truck/stack them and have an old forklift/ss, etc to unload and slam them into his woodshed and be done with it!

Latest posts

Back