which chipper for a few landowners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwiley

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My parents and my brother and I all live next door to each other on a total of about 40 acres of woodland in the middle of nowhere. We are talking about getting a "real" chipper to deal with brush disposal and to make mulch.

What would you guys recommend as a decent used unit? We would be keeping it on the property and not using it for commercial work so we can afford to deal with something a little older. I will do the maintenance (I already work on our tractors).

I'd like to keep the budget as tight as possible since I don't expect to make money with it.

if you're just wanting to chip brush and not large wood then a drum chipper can be had for about $2500, a decent disc style self feeding unit would probably be twice that..

Check for municipal auctions and/or companies like asplundh have auctions often with some higher hour units, but typically in good shape. I have experience with Morbark and Vermeer both of which would serve you justice. :givebeer:

Getcha a little six or nine inch Vermeer..easy to work on and pretty safe to operate...that feed wheel sure makes a difference..

we've got a brush bandit 60xl and love it. Anything bigger then 6" is firewood to me. If you have a place to keep it out of the weather i think it would be a great machine to own for your use. It doesn't love leaves but will take them if fed with branches. It will take all the cedar and pine you can send its way. Loves hardwoods too. simple simple easy machine to own and operate. Take it easy with the big stuff and the mchine just keeps working. I would pay for reverse and for self feed. HD will sell you thier used chippers for discounted dollars but I don't remember what brand they use.

Latest posts

Back