Which gauge chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I have two saws that run 3/8 chain, .058 gauge and just purchased another one(a Jonsered 49sp) that is running .325 chain. It is a smaller saw and the only chain I have is 3/4 worn. Should I switch bars and move this saw up to 3/8 .058 so I am running all the same size chain? Will I lose a lot of power going to the larger size? Will the cost outweigh the convenience of having everything the same size? I got this saw to let me relax when not cutting the bigger stuff. The big saw gets heavy after a couple hours.

I like having everything the same gauge and pitch. I like being able to swap all of my bars and chain from saw to saw and not have to worry about it. I don't think loss of power would be an issue either. I'm sure someone will get on here and explain that it's just the opposite, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Jeff

I've got one that has had 3/8" 0.58 on an 18" bar its whole life. It cuts fine in softwood, but I think it would slow down quite a bit in hardwood. If you've got bigger saws to pull a full bar for bucking, and only intend to use the 49 for limbing and smaller bucking cuts, it should work fine, and as you say, you don't have to worry about multiple chain pitches this way. Funny thing is, my 066 with a 24" bar on it is only about 4 pounds heavier than the 49SP with the 18" on it (both full of fuel and oil, ready to go, on the same scale). The power head on the 49's weighs about as much at 49cc's as a newer saw does at 60cc's.

I understand your point about the weight. It is a little heavy, but compared to my 920, I hope this one will feel a little better when I go to limbing and bucking the smaller stuff. I don't know what it is, but I just love the old red saws! I think I will do the switch before I buy some chains in .325 pitch. All it will cost me is a new bar.

Don't forget your drive sprocket, if you've got a rim setup on there, you'll need a 3/8" rim, if not, you'll have to switch out the .325 drum for a rim setup, or a 3/8" spur.

.325 is lighter and cuts faster. What the heck do you want to switch parts from one saw to another for anyway? A loop of .325 is what, 10 bucks?
Your plan to switch to bigger chain sounds like if you bought a camaro and switched the wheels and tires to the same ones you have on your pick-up truck, so you could switch them back and forth if you need to. :dizzy:

Mike Maas said:
Your plan to switch to bigger chain sounds like if you bought a camaro and switched the wheels and tires to the same ones you have on your pick-up truck, so you could switch them back and forth if you need to. :dizzy:

There is some validity to that statement. I think a camero with my pickup tires would look really impressive! :laugh:

I would have to get a few rims in 3/8, but they are pretty cheap.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I like having everything the same gauge and pitch. I like being able to swap all of my bars and chain from saw to saw and not have to worry about it. I don't think loss of power would be an issue either. I'm sure someone will get on here and explain that it's just the opposite, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Jeff

I agree with you! Its convenient, saves time and makes your equipment more versatile. The old KISS philosophy (keep it simple stupid). I run 3/8 pitch .050 gauge in all but one of my saws which has .404 chain. :cool:

Latest posts

Back