Which is better Stihl or Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvaught

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want everyones opinions on who makes the better saw. Price should not be a factor in this discussion.

I like the ones I am using now.

BTW, I also like Coke better than Pepsi, Ford more than Chevy or Dodge, and I really do believe my dad is smarter than your dad.

Joe

I dont think this is a ford/chevy debate. Its more of a BMW/Chevrolet discussion. The huskys I see in Lowes look cheap and unfinished. But I respect the opinions of lots of the guys on this forum and many of you seem to like huskys. Is the quality of husky suffering lately or has it always been lacking when compared to Stihl.

the Huskies at the Borg are the consumer line. I don't look at them so I can't compare them to the pro line.

I've had good luck with Huskies and prefer them just a little more than Stihl. Finding a nearby shop that takes care of pro users is the key for me.

McCulloch or Homelite?Harley or Indian ?Ford Or Chevy?The story is ageless,only the players have changed. :)

Its not about who makes the saw for me, its about dealer support. IMO, Stihl and Husky are about equal, with the exception of the climbing saws, where Stihl is the KING.

From what i have seen lately I would say that Stihl has a edge in certain clases of saws. I think husky has major problems with their climbing says and the 372, 385 have had a problem with bearing failures.

Ha!
When I tried them all I will tell you, till then I run the old bears, and on occasion the Jonny red!
HVA is in my heart aswell.

Personnally I think it comes down to dealer knowledge/backup/support.

Because of this I presently only consider 2 brands, Stihl and Jonsered.

I really like that Jonny Red 2171.

Last edited:
bvaught said:
I dont think this is a ford/chevy debate....

It sure is! Just like someone who has good luck with Chevy Fords and has a good dealer is not likely to change. Why do I use Stihl? Because they have served me very well for 20 years and I have a great dealer.

Are they better than Husky? Don't know, never owned a Husky. But if my dealer switched from Stihl to Husky, I would probably try one without hesitation.

Joe

As for Stihl I can't say anything about their quality, I'm sure it's good but I don't have enough experience.
Like others have said, it's probably more a question of local service, and personal preferences. I have to admit that after started reading this site I like Stihl more every day :) And Efco...looks like great saws as well, had never heard of them before.

Since Jonsered and Husqvarna (the pro saws) are virtually the same saws, I'd say Jonsered is the best of them. Why? Because it simply looks and feels better :D Jonsered's design/looks isn't as far ahead of the competition as say, some 25 years ago, but it's still the best of the bunch :)
+ I live on the swedish west coast, which seems totally dominated by Jonsered. I grew up like 10 miles from Jonsered chainsaw factory. I know I'm biased :) (Jonsered no longer makes chainsaws there, they make some...hydraulic stuff, don't know)

Do the new Stihls give the same rpms as the Huskys? The high chain speed is nice. Buy the one that you won't leave at the stump when the felling goes wrong.

Last edited:
I am going to go with Stihl. Overall. This isnt a discussion of which 70cc saw is better between the two manufacturers. Its a discussion of which saw company is better overall. I think customer service is equal. Groundsaws...goes to Stihl....BARELY. I like to really dig my saws in and use the torque Stihl offers. I love the Husky air inject feature. I believe Stihl has the BEST cockpit out of any saw! You dont have to take your hand off the handle to pull the choke just flip a switch. Stihls just flick on with one thumb move. Huskies have a lot better RPM's though. Saw availability goes to Husky...you cany buy Stihls on the internet OR at a major store. Clutch brake setups..I like Stihls better. I dont like that the Husky ones are part of the cover. Chain tensioning is also Stihl I like it on the side better. i also like the sideplate screws on Stihl better...bigger=Better.
Climbing saws............do you have to ask? Handsdown Stihl!!!!!!! MS200T is best climbing saw ever made!!

The Stihl MS200 is one of the ONLY saws I EVER see around here, besides Echos.
I see Stihl as having some good, and some bad features, same for husky. no one brand is perfect. With Stihl, my biggest complaint is that while cutting sometimes I hit the master control lever and accidentally shut the saw down while working, but I like the power, and inboard clutch design, plus the twist lock air filter covers. on Husky, I like the air injection, the high revving engine, and the orange color, but I dont like the style of air filter covers on the newer huskies.

Well, I guess everything cant be perfect.

well the truth is.. stihl is.. no husky is. no oleomac is wait ,i change my mind jonsonred is definit.. wait a minute stihl is but but.
theys a lot of good saws out there.. my preference for yrs was the 028. now its between my 372 ,my 026 and last but not least my oleomak962.. who knows what ill like best next wk.. but one thing i know.. the saws i mentioned are good saws.

Latest posts

Back