Which is better Stihl or Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are like women, can't live with em, can't f... without em. They both make good and bad saws.

I own both Stihls and Huskys and have had very good service from both. Service in my area is not good, so I have done almost all the service work myself, what little was required. I cut mostly firewood for myself and family, but I always like to buy good quality equipment. I like the saying, "buy cheap, buy twice". In reality the good stuff really only costs a little more, and I like the idea that if a major repair is required, it's worth fixing!!

I will dive in here because i have an opinion. In the big saws the 088 is better than the 3120 because of the lame rev limiter on the Husky. The next size down is 066 aganist 394/395 and the Stihl is boss again because of the odd feeling you get on the distance between handle bars on the Husky. It just isn't comfortable but the new 395 is a powerful saw. The 066 is just bulletproof (the old Husky 2100 was great but obsolete now). Next size down is 044/046 and the 385/373. Now I will say that these are four good saws. No complaints on them. The early 373 lost a lot of cranks but that seems to be fixed. Because I don't work on too many small saws I will not venture opinion much more. I will add that the 346 and 359 are good saws and the 036, 026 are also worth the money paid for them. I am in California so the extreme cold and problems that some have had with cracking boots or other cold problems have not been seen by me. Huskys are generally a little easier to dismantle and work on. Mike

I just bought a 066 and the first week the saw wouldnt start,I took it back to Royal edger and mower in saint petersburg florida ,and the guy said there was a piece of plastic blocking a carb circuit.O k cool NOT.It happens again .Turns out the saw floods out all the time,Then i go to royal again ,and the guy tells me to let the 066 warm up for at least 3 minutes because stihl is telling everybody that the piston in the 066 expands too quickly ,and they have been getting brand new saws blowwing up.I dont know i think im going to buy a husky ,and try it out.Havent had enough experience with husky to say which is better ,but overall ive always been a stihl fan

What saw?

bvaught said:
I want everyones opinions on who makes the better saw. Price should not be a factor in this discussion.
First question is: What are you going to be doing with the saw? What kind and size wood do you work most often? Do you have a dealer near you? I started out many years ago with Macs and Poulans. I now run Dolmars and Huskys. Are your saws going to be ported for more power? How long are you going to hang on to the saw before it's replaced? You're going to have to tell us what the saw is going to be used for. Is it going to ride to work in a Ford,Chevy or Dodge or the Beemer?

STIHL

In all seriousness you buy a saw that fits your needs I like and prefer Stihl would a buy a Husky NO but thats my preference.

You should try rent a Husky or Stihl in the size you want and see which one fits you.

I just had a saw dealer tell me that Oregon makes all saw chain...all of it. Do you think I should buy his brand of saw?

I used to like Fords. The local dealer cured me of that, and I haven't had any problems from the other manufacturers products since the switch.

That dealer is blowing sunshine. I wonder how much he knows about saws.
Oregon is the largest manufacturer of chain but certainly not the only one. Stihl makes chain, only saw manufacturer to do so, but does not sell it to other OEM's. Carlton, Sandvik, and others are also on the market.

canguy21 said:
That dealer is blowing sunshine. I wonder how much he knows about saws.
Oregon is the largest manufacturer of chain but certainly not the only one. Stihl makes chain, only saw manufacturer to do so, but does not sell it to other OEM's. Carlton, Sandvik, and others are also on the market.

Yeah, that was my point. I'll take a good dealer over a single brand name any day. Saw, chain, car,...You name it.

WRW said:
I just had a saw dealer tell me that Oregon makes all saw chain...all of it. Do you think I should buy his brand of saw?

I used to like Fords. The local dealer cured me of that, and I haven't had any problems from the other manufacturers products since the switch.
He is not entirely wrong i think.
Oregon has bought up most of the independent makers. It is corporate thing, the brands still exist. Like elux, kind of.

Being a platinum wild thing dealer, I have to be careful what I have to say.
The platinum wild thing school is kinda fun, makes the stihl school look like crap

Fish said:
The platinum wild thing school is kinda fun, makes the stihl school look like crap

Well...Fish...Wild thing wasn't one of the choices...but if it had a been, I'd be tapping my foot while you sing it's praise. Might even join in for a chorus.

Fish said:

Can I get a correspondence curs on this?:blob5:

056 kid said:
hustivarnahl thats my saw of choice!!!

I really think the kid needs additional lessons :cry:

I have not used enough saw brands to make a very good comparison, but in Belgium, Stihl definately dominates the market. Why ? : good availability through an extensive professional dealer network. And Stihl equipment lasts for ever. Besides 2 pro saws, I also have a HS 75 hedge trimmer and a FS 88 bush cutter from Stihl for many years now. Never had a problem. Easy to maintain, solid parts. Germans know how to make professional tools, I think.

"Which is better Stihl or Husky?"

Better for what?

To be particular, with unlimited choice due to plenty of availability of both brands, I use 200T's, 346's, 372's, and an 066.

But if I lived in the boonies with only a Husqvarna dealership for 150 miles, then I'd run all Husqvarnas (346, 372) with the exception of the climbing saw. I would still run the 200T.

If the only dealer for 150 miles was Stihl, I would run 200T, 026, 440, and 066.

Anyway, either is good. Just keep them sharp and run the darned things.

Being a homeowner with 20A of land to keep cleaned up. PRICE does come in to play. My 11 year old poulan 2000 has had no problems and my poulan 3750 only had top end problems after 5 years when I started screwing with the carb and leaned it out to much when I took off the limiter caps. But with the help of the good folks here it runs twice as strong as it once did. I dont go out and buy the biggest and highest priced saws because I really dont see where it is going to cut the wood up into pieces any different. Thats why they make different saws for each persons needs. What ever makes you feel good and gets your work done is what one should use. Plus I like the extra $500 bucks still in my pocket to spend on my 65 and 69 chevys. lol at bmw's.

bvaught said:
I want everyones opinions on who makes the better saw. Price should not be a factor in this discussion.

Well that depends, which bar, chain, pitch, gauge, length, etc. are we talking about? :angel:

Latest posts

Back