Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberdonkey_059

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at 3 options and here are my thoughts:

leaning towards the Zillon based on what I’ve heard and my experience with petzl.

I know several people love the ART positioner but have heard it’s not great at releasing under pressure.

The steel core micro grab is a great deal at less than half the cost but I’ve heard bad things about the durability…

curious, what would you go with including the consideration of price?

365E56C5-B769-4693-A0E1-E25F23282E4C.jpegF1F14070-A5F0-4239-A30E-AD193EB3CA83.jpeg59C89D50-6920-4EB0-B0AB-ABB25BB7554E.jpeg

I dont run a mech adjuster

but I do run a custom 40ft samson velocity long lanyard with a hitchclimber setup (short climbing system) and its the cats ass, im no expert but I think you would like this setup better than one of these for one huge reason: you can hook it to itself and use it in a V rig
crappy picture attached
1628464033216.png

I dont run a mech adjuster

but I do run a custom 40ft samson velocity long lanyard with a hitchclimber setup (short climbing system) and its the cats ass, im no expert but I think you would like this setup better than one of these for one huge reason: you can hook it to itself and use it in a V rig
crappy picture attached
View attachment 923139
Basic but effective. I have 2 main flip lines one steel cored, both use prusiks and nothing mechanical. I like simple.

Haha one of these in in the works as I already got your parts list from you in another thread! But also looking at one of these mechanical adjustables to mess with!
oh dang, thats cool

I have wanted to try the zigzag on my lanyard, I think it would work good, since it works as a Ddrt system too
I have a buddy with two of them, maybe he will sell one

cut my lanyard down to 15ft, 40 was too long to be messing with and tangling in rigging, atleast for me, might be buying a pinto to replace the hitchclimber, and a spliced hitch cord is a definite ( getting 9.3mm epicord, will probably use it on my climb line and swap the armorprus ive been using onto the lanyard, 8mm for the 11mm rope and 9.3 for the 11.5, depends what works smoothly)

I hate my Zillon. It’s way to easy to let out slack, I stopped using it after a twig poked it just right and suddenly had about 3 feet of slack introduced.
The Zillon does seem to work great as a mechanical hitch in an MRS system. Has 2 links less than a ZigZag, but doesn’t seem to affect performance at all.
I hear the ART Positioner is excellent, haven’t tried it yet.
I’m back to using a Trango Cinch, and sometimes a distel hitch with micro pulley. Also a separate “ pine lanyard” with the good old rope grab (Gibbs, BuckGrab, Petzl microcender,etc) for sappy, pitchy stuff.

I'm a creature of habit. Wire core lanyards and a Gibbs or Petzl slack tender have been what I have used for 15 years; prefer the fatter lanyards, because they slip less and last longer, but also heavier. I replace the quick release pin (scary) with a bolt and lock nut. Only problem is that the wire that tensions the arm in the slack tender eventually breaks; I have a collection of 3 or 4 of those devises that cost $80 - $100 ea. Used to be able to get replacement parts but no more; liability?

I know that a lot of climbers love various gadgets and custom, low weight set ups in the tree. Just never went there -- at least I stopped trying to climb with two, 14 or 16 ft. wire core lanyards -- learned that advancing your rope with a pole saw head with a hook (unsharpened) on the back side (on 2, 8 ft. sticks) meant that you just needed one, and I would have the pole saw anyway to work with. Steel biner on the end of the rope; you just drape 2 ft. of rope over the hook, drop it over a crotch, and grab the biner with the hook. Saves at least 5 lbs. Plus less likely to have the snap on the end of the lanyard come back and land on your head when you miss a throw -- that also taught me to start using a helmet (that was a long time ago!).

I've been using positioned for over 10 years...never had problems releasing under load. It really is a great tool. One I'd replace ASAP if I were starting over.

However, I'll also used a friction hitch and pulley every now and then... that is not a bad setup at all.

Latest posts

Back