Which oil alternatives do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eat a peach

eat a peach

ArboristSite Operative
tacifier for canola oil?

I was following this thread and someone mentioned mixing your own . Does anyone know how much or if it would be feasable to mix STP oil treatment with canola? I may be way out in left field but wouldn't it make canola a good bit sticker? Price may be an inhibitor too . My brain has not gotten that far,figuring the overall cost I mean.

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I was following this thread and someone mentioned mixing your own . Does anyone know how much or if it would be feasable to mix STP oil treatment with canola? I may be way out in left field but wouldn't it make canola a good bit sticker? Price may be an inhibitor too . My brain has not gotten that far,figuring the overall cost I mean.

Very good question. I think the main thing that seperates conola from purpose produced bar oil is its lack of tackifying agent. I would give such a product a try. Mix some up, theres only one way to find out. :chainsawguy:

crystallattice

crystallattice

ArboristSite Lurker
So you're looking for 'unbranded' Stihl bar oil? From the source to bypass the dealer?

Now we are talking. The oils I've looked at are slideway oils, not just any common oil. Bar oil is supposed to stick to the bar for the round trip, not just the top section, motor oil will not do that, slideway oil will. Now Shell tonna s2 68M or Castrol magna BD68 specs seems OK, but thought anyone else has tried it, seems not.

My feeling is that bar oil is just rebranded slideway oil in smaller containers and higher prices. Pretty much the same as ENO, just some bicarb in a tablet form....

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
Now we are talking. The oils I've looked at are slideway oils, not just any common oil. Bar oil is supposed to stick to the bar for the round trip, not just the top section, motor oil will not do that, slideway oil will. Now Shell tonna s2 68M or Castrol magna BD68 specs seems OK, but thought anyone else has tried it, seems not.

My feeling is that bar oil is just rebranded slideway oil in smaller containers and higher prices. Pretty much the same as ENO, just some bicarb in a tablet form....

I have used 'slideway oil' (we call it 'way oil') in a couple larger power forging hammers and a surface grinder. It cost more than 'bar oil' does here at the local saw shops. Bar oil and way oil are very similar and I now use bar oil in the power hammers because it is cheaper.

If you want to skip the Stihl dealer and get a better price on oil, just shop around. I buy a no name bar oil from our local hardware store and Poulan oil at the local farm store, both about half price of Stihl.