Which one? Shindaiwa 488 or Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big4runr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have herd nothing but good things about both saws. The 488 apeals to me because of the weight but the 346 seems like a saw you can't go wrong with. Is the 488 tourqy? THanks

The 488 can't compare with the 346 in performance (speed, power). But NOTHING can compare to the 488 in dependability(longevity, no problems).

Well, I own a stock brand new 346, plus a 488 and 346 both Greffardized. The 346 is only a little faster than the 488, but is about 50% faster than the new 346. I think the 488 is a great saw, and the 1/2 lb weight difference is noticable. As well, I'm guessing it has more torque in stock form, considering the motor is a bit larger. It also turns a bit less rpm, is built very well. Most that have them report long life...it also has 2 rings versus the 346's one, perhaps that may equate to a bit longer life.

The stock 346 will remain unused till I have it built.

big,
i just happened to have a used 488 for sale. i heard lots of good things about them too. it is the saw that will out cut the stihl 026. i put it to the tests and i must be honest with you, i am a bit dis-appointed. i paid $200.00 for it and i will sell it for that plus shipping. i will not be surprised if i hold this saw for a while. maybe for a home owner it will be a dandy saw. to be fair, maybe i just have one under par. as always, i take any and all suggustions. marty

PP346

Rick
If you ever get in my area,stop in and you can play with some 346s.
Later
Dan

Solo 651PRO eats both of those saws. Don't settle for less.

how about a stihl 260

Another question, 488 or 260. I've got a good connection on a new 260. I can get the saw for 364.00 out the door. I've just heard some bad stuff on the 260. thanks

Latest posts

Back