Which saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dl5205

dl5205

@daddy ...As you can tell there is a obvious tendency to negate your requirements and recomend...whatever.....

With due respect, 7, he wants a saw that is stronger and more durable than his Ms170, but he wants it in the 7# range. That's a tall order (impossible) to fill, and the very question lends itself to recommendations that will fall outside his "requirements".

You will notice I did recommend a Dolmar, just not a current one.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
With due respect, 7, he wants a saw that is stronger and more durable than his Ms170, but he wants it in the 7# range. That's a tall order (impossible) to fill, and the very question lends itself to recommendations that will fall outside his "requirements".

You will notice I did recommend a Dolmar, just not a current one.
No offense meant and yes the weight requirement is unfullfilable.

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
ash man- If you look back, I run an ms-290 (18" and 20" bars), that probably runs 14.lbs plus with the 20"
Have cut 8-12 cord a year for last 11 yrs mostly with it.

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
No offense meant and yes the weight requirement is unfullfilable.

Thanks for "getting it" with regard to my question.

I'm not afraid to spend money if it will be quality. I can't afford to buy cheap stuff.

Very interested in Stihl MS-150 TCE, and Jonsered CS-2139 T

These both meet the weight, and are said to be pro saws. Similarly priced.

Once again, the 170 with 12" polesaw bar did what I wanted it to do, just didn't last. What I'm trying to figure out, is whether one of these saws will cut as good as the 170, and be reliable for years.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
You are talking about tophandle saws. If you want something like that then I wouldn't go that small. I also have a 25cc tophandle saw and like it a lot. But it is definately not enough saw to be a companion to the 290 as far as I see it. If you want to see a comparison between a 25 and 35 cc saw have a look here.

I your situation if you really want a tophandle I would give brad/blsnelling a call and ask him for one of his modified Stihl 201. Or a Echo 355 tophandle for ~250$ less in a very similar powerrange!

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
I am looking at the 201 and echo355 as well. It's not that I want a top handle, as much as they seem to fit the bill. There are times when limbing, that having a free hand would be nice.

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Looked at a 201-T this morning, and bought it on the spot. Got the 14" bar, but it looks like the 12" bars that I have will cross over to it. I didn't try them yet. With all the hoopla over how dangerous top handle saws are, I started out with the green safety chain till I get used to it. I did get a loop of the good stuff though. 63 something? Have three full tanks of gas through it at moderate revs, as per the book, and then let it rip on the 4th fill. So far I love it. Technique is different than a rear handle, but seems real natural. I find my left hand on the side of the wrap handle so I can control the torque with my left wrist, but otherwise easy-peasy. One thing I never thought of, is with the balance for one hand so nice, I can easily move logs with my left hand when not cutting, without setting the saw down. With a rear handle, the bar would drop toward your leg if you did that. So, thanks to everyone for the advice and input, and happy cutting to all.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just be careful when you believe that you know what you are doing, I have a glove and thankfully not my hand, that proves otherwise! I have it nailed on the wall in my tool area as a reminder!

daddy

daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Just be careful when you believe that you know what you are doing, I have a glove and thankfully not my hand, that proves otherwise! I have it nailed on the wall in my tool area as a reminder!

As I re-read my post, I sound like I have less respect for it than I really do. I guess I expected it to be harder to control or something. The way this saw is talked about, I expected it to be bigger as well.:laugh: 10-4 on the "safety first"!