Which saws to keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK Rich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now before you lot chirp in and say 'Keep them all...' I have to let some go, as I need the money for other tree slaying fukery.

The saws in the list are all Stihls; 2 x ms260's, 1 x ms361 (which is new to me, unrun) 1 x ported ms660, 1 x muffler modded ms460, then a smashed ms460 and another 660 in bits. I have a couple 0f 200t's but theyre staying.

Whats the ms361 like compared to the 260's? Is it worth the extra weight? One of my 26's is pretty strong, but I could sell both and keep the 361? I think i'll fix the smashed 460 and sell, along with the 660 in bits. Your views?

I know trying the 361 would be best, but it needs an AV rubber first and I dont have any helpful bars/chains yet. Do the springs on this make it much smoother?

Hmmmn, decisions... How about porting? Haha

I have had 2 26s and liked them a lot. Also have a 361 and love the better av on it compared to the 26s. I would buy another 26 without hesitation if it was a good clean saw.

I have had 2 26s and liked them a lot. Also have a 361 and love the better av on it compared to the 26s. I would buy another 26 without hesitation if it was a good clean saw.

Better filteration and AV do make me want to give the 361 the nod, however does it overcome the weight disadvantage? I've never had a 60cc saw (maybe there's the clue, I've never needed one?).

Would you have one 260 or one 361?

I had both at once but sold the 26 to get a 441cm. If the shipping wouldn't kill me I'd buy one of the 26s from you. Gotta love cad:hmm3grin2orange:

I have no use for a 660 class saw so they would go. I rarely use a 361 class saw so it would be next. The 260/460 combo is very hard to beat.

Sell them all except for the 361 and the 460 and get a Dolmar 421 for your small saw.

Stihls are too valuable to keep for using! (as a rule)

Mike

I have no use for a 660 class saw so they would go. I rarely use a 361 class saw so it would be next. The 260/460 combo is very hard to beat.

I know what you mean. I have two 660's, one of them will go, one my first ground saw so that'll stay - for now. I forgot I also have an 880 (obviously dont use it that much then...)

How close will the 361 be to the 460?

361 to 460 no comparison

A good port job on a 260 will run with a stock 361

the 361 class saw is for the firewood cutter who doesnt need a larger saw but can handle bigger than the 50cc class

Sell them all except for the 361 and the 460 and get a Dolmar 421 for your small saw.

Stihls are too valuable to keep for using! (as a rule)

Mike

Hmmn, yeah but when the big jobs come in, the bigger saws come out.

Stihls too valuable for using? Dude they want to be used. They love it.

Trust me and keep the 361 it won't disappoint you. Or ship it to me. Hmmm that might be steep shipping.

361 to 460 no comparison

A good port job on a 260 will run with a stock 361

the 361 class saw is for the firewood cutter who doesnt need a larger saw but can handle bigger than the 50cc class

To be honest fella, I do really like my 260. It has a cheeky MM and the 'beer can gasket'. It blows 204psi and isnt shy. Just a shame about the air filter and w@nk AV's. I only run it with a 15" .325, which seems to handle well. Much more nimble than my old 346 - Where's Saw Troll?!

To be honest fella, I do really like my 260. It has a cheeky MM and the 'beer can gasket'. It blows 204psi and isnt shy. Just a shame about the air filter and w@nk AV's. I only run it with a 15" .325, which seems to handle well. Much more nimble than my old 346 - Where's Saw Troll?!

Sawtroll will tell you to keep them all. As he loves all the stihl models!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hmmn, yeah but when the big jobs come in, the bigger saws come out.

Stihls too valuable for using? Dude they want to be used. They love it.

Yeah, but the fact remains that in most instances you can sell a Stihl and buy two (or more) of the "other" equivalent saws, or sell one Stihl and buy an equivalent (or better) saw to use and have a fat wad of $$$$ left in your pocket.
The "other" saws want to be used too!!!

Mike

I did a tiny amount of cutting with the 361 today. Never knew cutting could be so smooth!

Back