Which Stihl could it be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi I know this is a concrete saw, but I can't help thinking it is adapted from one of the older model chainsaws. Anyone know which model it could be, something like an 051 maybe?

Dan

its either a TS510, or TS760. to know for sure, measure the bore, and tell us what the bore diameter is.

No, you've missed my point. I know what it is, I'm just wondering what chainsaw it might be based on.

The saw its based on is the 051 or 075/076. The ts 510 and 760 use the same engine. The crankcases of the concrete saws have been simplified on more modern saws. The saw you have pictured may actually be a chainsaw that was modified to use on concrete. The ts 50 was a 051 that stihl sold with a concrete saw arm that fit over the clutch. Nice little combo saw.
Travis

Thanks Travis,

I have seen an 08S with a conversion arm before. I'd agree with you on this one, the arm doesn't suggest is started life as a stone saw, that's why I asked.

Lawn Masters said:
its either a TS510, or TS760. to know for sure, measure the bore, and tell us what the bore diameter is.

Considering that the saw is not tore down, measuring the bore will be a pain in the neck. The easier way to know is that the 89cc barrel uses 4 allen screws for the base, while the 111cc has 4 studs the height of the barrel.

Also, way back Stihl made the TS50, which is just like the TS510, based off the 050/051 powerhead.

tkemble said:
The saw its based on is the 051 or 075/076. The ts 510 and 760 use the same engine. The crankcases of the concrete saws have been simplified on more modern saws. The saw you have pictured may actually be a chainsaw that was modified to use on concrete. The ts 50 was a 051 that stihl sold with a concrete saw arm that fit over the clutch. Nice little combo saw.
Travis

My friend's TS50 has a clutch and had a new chainsaw sprocket (which I stole and replaced with a wore out one. :rolleyes: ) Over the clutch/drum is another drum with a bearing that provides support for the outboard end of the crank. I don't recall if it has a oil pump or not.

Chris B.

Chris the ts 50 does have an oil pump. I turned mine into a 051. I still have the saw arm and air filter assemble just in case I need a cut off saw. Finding that brand new spur spoket under the saw arm was a nice suprise.

That was good information to relay on the telling the saws apart my the screws or bolts. The other real easy way is to look at the compression release location on that back handle. if its the center hole, its a 51. If its the outside right hole, its a 075.

Travis

Travis,

I hesitated mentioning anything about the comp. release only because those lower rear handles get replaced. They seem to take alot of abuse. In fact, I'd like to have a good one handy just in case for my 075.

Chris B.

Back