Which to buy Stihl MS 311 or MS 391?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naaaaaaaaaaaa he was asking about a Stihl, he probably has no desire for a Husky, I know alot of folks like that,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

That is his/your problem! :biggrinbounce2:

I like to look for the best option in each class of saws, regardless of brand! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is his/your problem! :biggrinbounce2:

I like to look for the best option in each class of saws, regardless of brand! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No thats your problem, all you do is look. Try firing up the saws and running them and then you will really know what your talking about, can't do that looking at paper can ya,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: I must give you credit though, you are pre #### ta ble,LOLOL

Hell, just by the 391, for what your going to do it will last forever. I've 310 and 390's that have had the pizz run out of them for along time, beat to death and they are still cutting just fine. Hell of alot better saw than the big box store Husky's. My dealer swears people are having nothing but a good expierence with the 311 and 391's. If you decide your going to use a saw more the 362 is the way to go, but unless your going to use it enough to justify the pro saw theres really no point. Don't get hung up on the weight issue, at the end of the day prolly not going to notice much of a difference.
The 391 should handle a 24" bar just fine. Personally I would buy a 18" bar and a 25" bar and cover all the bases.

Decisions, decisions on $500.00 budget

Thank you all for your input on the saw pros and cons. It is without a doubt every model up from the 311 to the 391 to the 361/362 and 440/441 will result in less weight for the latter units along with more power. The problem is the price creeping up as well. I had considered a quality used saw to keep the cost down but when your spending around $500.00 for a saw how can one be comfortable with a used saw purchase short of compression tests or actually "looking under the hood" more? Outward appearance would be a gauge to some extent but not always, due to the operators past care.

I certainly would entertain a used low hour unit 361/362 or as was highly touted the 440/441 but the old adage "buyer beware" seems to be highly applicable especially to used chainsaws.

Your thoughts?

Is there a video of the Stihl ms 311 or ms 391 comparison?
It will cost about the same as a MS362, mid to high 600's.

Everyone who has bought a 311, 391 or 362 so far has bee pleased. The benefits outweigh (literally) any issues of the saws being a little porky. Their smooth, powerful, torquey and have excellent antivibration, fuel economy, and their priced reasonable too.
Is there a video of the Stihl ms 311 or ms 391 comparison?

I'm guessing that you revived this old discussion because you're considering a similar purchase.
Been there... Done that... and wouldn't recommend this path to another.
I don't know where you are in Canada, which might impact your choices.
There are great deals to be had on used pro grade saws and tried and true classic saws out there.
A compression gauge and some tools will help you to select a good used saw.

I'm guessing that you revived this old discussion because you're considering a similar purchase.
Been there... Done that... and wouldn't recommend this path to another.
I don't know where you are in Canada, which might impact your choices.
There are great deals to be had on used pro grade saws and tried and true classic saws out there.
A compression gauge and some tools will help you to select a good used saw.
Thank you for your answer.

Latest posts

Back