Which top-handle saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was helping a buddy drop a big maple this past weekend and got a chance to use a beat-up old Stihl 009 on the limbs and realized how nice it would be to have a top-handle saw myself. I'm not an arborist and can't justify buying a Stihl 200T but I'd still like to have a fairly decent one. I've looked at these four and thought I'd get the boards input.

Dolmar PS-3410 TH
Husqvarna 334T
Redmax G3100T
Stihl MS192T

I have Stihl, Husqvarna and Redmax dealers pretty close. Nearest Dolmar dealer is an hour away at least.

Thanks for the input.

jim

Well before the "You shouldn't use a tophandle on the ground" nazis jump on ya... I'll give it a shot.

If you're lookin' for a "newer" type of saw...I personaly would get a 192T... but that is me being biased.

However... if it's just for trimmin up branches and light limbing of small stuff... I would check ebay and craigslist for any small tophandle that runs good.

A little Poulan 25a would be a good little saw. Plus it will be dirt cheap. I have a McCulloch Power Mac 6... made in 1968... great little tophandle zinger. For the few times I cut with it it's great.

Gary

Last edited:
We have an Echo 3000 here and that thing will not die. Been trashed with 7 or 8 different people using it on the farm for everything form fence post cutting to bamboo root severing. And sometimes even for tree limbing. The girlfriend ripped the starter cord off draggng a tree over it last week. Fixing that I relized that the sprocket was toast. I got a new one from Bailey's. You can get them down to about $200 new on sale. Baileys has major parts for them. I am not thrilled with the Intenz bar, but it works. It runs better than the 210 and is the backup saw for that here. Yah, should not use a top handle saw on the ground, I know. I have the 250 running again though, and the 210 may be put up for adoption or parted out on Ebay.

No, but I was wondering about the Bailey's saw of the season club thing. Husky, then Dolmar, then back to Husky, and now Solo...

Han Solo... TH Millenium Falcon...

Ok, i gotta ask, why are homeowners so fascinated with top-handle saws?

Can the 09 really be considered a true top-handle? That rear handle hangs off the back quite a bit farther than most top-handles.

The 192 qould be my pick from that list.

Im buying a new 3410TH and after 10 tanks will give an opinion ......

That would be my pick from that list, as well - but I have never used any of them, and don't really want to.......:greenchainsaw:

..... but how about Rocky J's old favourite, the Echo something????

Last edited:
I ran the 3410. Thats why I ask about the solo 40cc TH. If the poulan 2000 had AV to ease the vibrations like the 3410, they cut the same power wise etc. The 3410 seemed underpowered for a pro, but would work for us homeowners.

But buying the little poulans for $99 new back in the day and getting them for $20-$50 like new now. I have no use for a 3410 under powered imo.

Anybody run the solo 40cc TH? Power?

Has anybody tried the top handle Solo 637 yet? 8.1 lbs 40.2cc's for $299.

The Solo 637 IMO is way overrated. I have them out in use and am not impressed I had to buy one back after a month it self destructed. In a side by side test against a 192T and the lil Dolmar PS3410 the 3410 walked both the Solo and the Stihl 192T. The Dolmar was much smoother and lighter than the other 2 saws as well. If I had my wish I would be able to order the Euro Muffler for the PS3410 it breathes much nicer and that is what the lil Dolmar really needs. Also the starter is very nice when up in a tree... less jerking of the saw. Almost every time I go to start a 637 I flood the he!! out of it cause the controls just arn't right. Give the lil Dolmar some break in time maybe mod the muffler a tad and it becomes a very nice mannered climbing saw.

Scott

Last edited:
The Solo 637 IMO is way overrated. I have them out in use and am not impressed I had to buy one back after a month it self destructed. In a side by side test against a 192T and the lil Dolmar PS3410 the 3410 walked both the Solo and the Stihl 192T. The Dolmar was much smoother and lighter than the other 2 saws as well. If I had my wish I would be able to order the Euro Muffler for the PS3410 it breathes much nicer and that is what the lil Dolmar really needs. Also the starter is very nice when up in a tree... less jerking of the saw. Almost every time I go to start a 637 I flood the he!! out of it cause the controls just arn't right. Give the lil Dolmar some break in time maybe mod the muffler a tad and it becomes a very nice mannered climbing saw.

Scott

Thank you for the comparisons! Thats what I was wanting to know. So I know not to go that way someday as far as the solo. I trust your word and the experience behind it. Thanks again. Hmmmm woods ported 3410 maybe :cheers: .

Just terminate this, and get a rear-handle insted, like the MS200 or Husky 336 or 339xp, a top handle is really dangerous for ground work......:blob2: :blob2:

Just terminate this, and get a rear-handle insted, like the MS200 or Husky 336 or 339xp, a top handle is really dangerous for ground work......:blob2: :blob2:

Woodsrover seems to have the small rear handle saws covered already ST.
Look at his stable.

Stihl 460 Magnum
Stihl MS361 - Not big enough for firewood
Stihl MS290 - The most hated saw on AS!
Jonsered 525
Jonsered 2150
Stihl MS180-C
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 41
Salsco 824 chipper
Kubota L295DT

I've got the Echo CS 300, also. While it's not a 440 by any means, it starts easily, cuts well for its displacemnt, and has parts availability. And purchased for less than $200 bucks. I would recommend a rear handled saw for better control, though.

Scott

The 3410 is sounding better and better, Scott. But, don't the specs show the 192T being lighter by 1/2 pound or so?

Latest posts

Back