Which trees to keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got about 12 acres of wooded land on my farm in Ohio. It's predominantly white oak that i was told is of little value to sell as timber. I've been starting to cut firewood for my own use, just dead falls so far. I would like to cut down less valuable trees when I take firewood as I need it over the next few decades. My question is what would be best to leave for money trees? I've got a decent selection of species, I'm just having a hard time finding info on timber values. Is there a place I can a list like that?

Thanks.

I'd suggest contacting a forester. You can get a free visit from a Service Forester - though some are pretty busy and you may have to wait:
Contact information: www.dnr.state.oh.us/Forestry/tabid/5280/Default.aspx

If you want a timber appraisal, consider hiring a consulting forester. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a consultant out a little sooner. A list of consulting foresters: www.osafdirectory.com/

In general, keep the straight trees (especially white oak), cut the crooked trees because they aren't going to grow worthwhile logs even if they are walnut or white oak. I'd also consider cutting ash (its gonna die anyhow) if you want an "easy" place to start.

Finally, keep in mind that if you are just cutting firewood for yourslef, you will never be able to keep up with the amount of wood that grows in 12 acres. In most circumstances, you are looking at growing an easy 2-3 cords per acre per year.

I'd suggest contacting a forester. You can get a free visit from a Service Forester - though some are pretty busy and you may have to wait:
Contact information: www.dnr.state.oh.us/Forestry/tabid/5280/Default.aspx

If you want a timber appraisal, consider hiring a consulting forester. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a consultant out a little sooner. A list of consulting foresters: www.osafdirectory.com/

In general, keep the straight trees (especially white oak), cut the crooked trees because they aren't going to grow worthwhile logs even if they are walnut or white oak. I'd also consider cutting ash (its gonna die anyhow) if you want an "easy" place to start.

Finally, keep in mind that if you are just cutting firewood for yourslef, you will never be able to keep up with the amount of wood that grows in 12 acres. In most circumstances, you are looking at growing an easy 2-3 cords per acre per year.

:agree2:

I've got about 12 acres of wooded land on my farm in Ohio. It's predominantly white oak that i was told is of little value to sell as timber. I've been starting to cut firewood for my own use, just dead falls so far. I would like to cut down less valuable trees when I take firewood as I need it over the next few decades. My question is what would be best to leave for money trees? I've got a decent selection of species, I'm just having a hard time finding info on timber values. Is there a place I can a list like that?

Thanks.

Don't know what part of Ohio your in, but we used a consulting forester out of Findlay. He does cover a wide area though. We sold about 74 trees as I recall, mostly white oak species. We made $18,000 plus on that. But, that was in fall of 2004. He came out last spring and we walked the woods, he was mainly concerned with looking for signs of EAB, in the ash trees. At that time we seemed free, but as he said, its almost inevitable it will get here. And, we should think about selling what ash we could if it (when) gets here.
He is listed in that forester listing someone posted. Steve Siam is his name.
Very nice guy to deal with.

Gregg,

Back