Which trees to plant in rural yard on west coast canada?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vancouverbc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 25 acres but am concerned about area around house. To the east is a large canyon/river with a 45 degree slope and about 100-250 ft distance to river along slope. My entire property is currently covered in 40 yr old western cedars and douglas firs. I want to max view of river without causing landslide. The slope is mostly granite bedrock that is rotting away. Its covered in cedars and douglas fir. To west of my house is a freeway. I may plant
cedars along the border to hide from freeway. To the south I have about 10 100 yr old douglas firs which I need for shade in the summer. Very hot in the summer. to the north of house I have no trees in vicinity of house. I also have two creeks on either side of my house.
I'd like the creeks to be attractive and accessible to humans but want to control erosion . if i planted too many cedars in creek banks/ravines I might make it harder for humans to access creeks. any ideas? thanks.

Your post is confusing, could you be more specific.

well, douglas fir seems not to blocks views as much as cedar. maybe cut view lines that are
diagonal to slope to limit erosion vs perpendicular. my view are all down river anyway. maybe there is alternative to growing cedar/douglas fir in area that blocks view. plant lines of trees around perimeters of property vs having trees all through yard. maybe i can have the whole thing logged if the bc rules allow.

Latest posts

Back