Which trimmer Brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both good brands.

Shindaiwa has a much better USA distributrition system. Parts and service thru dealers are much better.

The new T2500 four cycle that uses two cycle mix, yes two stroke mix in a four stroke engine (somewhat confusing) is a nice unit, but not as good as the two cycle T230 thru T270 series.
They need a four cycle to "bank 'pollution points".
Ran their prototype two years ago, and production units in November.

Maryauma has a new two cycle CE series engine design that is very clean, and meets some upcoming standards.

But like many quality things, if the local dealer is good, and he has good back up, iand pricing is close,...it's your call.

Hey guys...I know there is nowhere on this site (Arboristsite) for trimmer talk, but this really isn't the place either. I am not trying to step on anyones toes here, as I am a dealer for trimmers as well. There are other forums for this talk.

Yeah I know what you are thinking...."this coming from him, mr off topic himself..??" lol... But seriously, people look here for chainsaw information.

So this thread is not being selectively policed but it is somehow more off topic than "Where`s Gypo?" or "Where did the AS braintrust go?". Maybe our being boring for the "brain trust" is due to our limited intellect and we won`t recognize bias when it`s heaped on us?
Russ

Russ...I guess you got me...I hadn't read either thread until you brought them up, and hadn't even seen the "braintrust" thread.
For the last couple weeks I have only popped in briefly scanning over thread titles and this happened to catch my eye. I just went back a few pages and see that I have missed several others as well. Maybe if I move some of them over to OT it will make that forum a bit more readable for some of us.

I guess I have been here so long that threads regarding our members don't seem off topic, my apologies.

But in saying that I still don't think that we need to start threads about other types of power equipment. Possibly we can start a new forum here on AS for other types of power equipment...from trimmers to the 4 strokes on chippers...etc...I will discuss it with Darin.

The first thread should have been titled, "Which trimmer does
Lambert prefer?".
He would respond about the various chainsaw attachments
that were available to go with that trimmer.
And there would be peace in the valley....

I never veer off topic myself, but always strive to bring the
guys back together. You guys complete me.......

Fish, will you help me fix my FS36/Ryobi?
I've never had a piece of equipment that required so many full
fledged wailings against a concrete garage floor to make it run.
All out violence is all this machine ever understood, it is without
a doubt, the pathological trimmer, it doesn't run unless you hate
it like a E-Type Jaguar. The old 10 to 1 ratio, 10 fixes, one ride.

From a dealer viewpoint, trimmers and saws are very closely associated in that many saw dealers carry trimmers, and they are, until of late, related as 2 cycle powered.

I don't care much for off topic either, but in the way this one was titled, it gave the reader a clear choice of not reading a post that he may not have been interested in.

I think we are getting a little too picky here.

Thanks Dennis

I`m glad you clarified your position the way you did. I want to reiterate from the previous threads that suggested your moderating was biased, that I did not feel you were guilty then, and after clarification, I don`t feel that you are guilty now. It`s obvious that I felt differently last night when I posted but now I am sorry I responded the way I did without giving you the benefit of the doubt.

As far as having another forum is concerned, I don`t personally think it is worth the effort. We already have the Large Equipment forum for discussion of engine related issues, and you are right, there are other forums available that are entirely lawn equipment related. The "trimmer" that I asked about is essentially a medium sized clearing saw so I felt it was close enough to a chainsaw to fly under the radar. Everyone here no doubt visits other forums but through knowing one another to the extent that we can via this medium, I suspect that the opinions expresed here have more weight for the regular posters than the opinions of those whom we aren`t as familiar with. The opinions gathered here are more useful to me for the most part. I think we have a very good group of people here, from the pros and hard core semi-pros, to the casual users who have a sincere interest in knowing more. I agree that good moderation will keep this forum focused and thus a valuable resource, which incidentally serves the real reason for it`s existence, to be a viable enterprise for Darin, but a little off topic never hurt anyone either. My vote would be to keep the moderation of this forum the way it has been allowing a small bit of off topic banter to exist.

BTW Dennis, I think the popularity of this forum should be strong enough testament that your moderation has beeen successful.

Russ

I also wish to say what a great guy Dennis is. I view the
moderator position as more of a bouncer, not an elected
official in some sort of democratic forum, but a man who needs
to keep the peace, and not let this forum degrade into what
countless other forums that are nothing but mindless, child-like,
banter and name calling.
Since my posts are chock full of scientific data{fact}, and
I never stray off topic at all, I rarely have run ins with the big
guy{Dennis}.
The off topic forum, is like AS purgatory, I never even cruise
there.
I have had a few threads sent to there, and I am truly
repentant of my straying off topic, and will never do so again,
really.
Did I mention what a great guy Dennis is?

Starting another forum will do little, all of the action is here.

Dennis sure is a great guy..........

But you all know that already.

Russ, Tony, you guys probably are right. Clearing saws should clear the radar, and being that we don't have anywhere else to put them.

We should allow clearing saw stuff....but why don't we avoid the 99 dollar special trimmer talk. And yes I am very biased when it comes to them. I hate them and hate working on them....lol..

That sound fair?

PS Fish....you aren't getting a raise, I told you that already.

Well you are still number 1 in my book, chief! I don't care what
the others may say.
Can I have Derby day off? I would like to go to Louisville and
drink a little alcohol for a change of pace, and bet on some ponies
and judge a few t-shirt contests. AS should have a booth there
with all of the clout that Darin now has. Lambert will likely be there too.

I guess if you own a Stihl HT 70 you have to go out to the truck first and look to see which attachment you have on it at the time, saw, hedge, tree, blade or line before you can talk about it here.

I would trust the advice from people here on the chainsaw forum at AS before I would the guys over at ladder&lawn site. Or at least I did until the censor police laid down the law.

I guess you have to be in the little group to talk about all the OFF THE TOPIC bull crap that fills the chainsaw forum and not get your hand slapped. If a person sells apples and a customer asks for oranges I guess they would be thrown out of the store. "I'll be ????ed if I will give my customers (members) what they want. They will buy what I want them to or they can go to T*ee B*zz and get what they want."

Oh yeah, chainsaw. :rolleyes:

I sure this is what people are looking for on the chainsaw forum: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2524

Last edited:
Again with the "little group". This thread hasn't been moved...it hasn't been deleted...and it hasn't been censored.
How agout changing the name of this forum to "Small Equipment" to complement the "Large Equipment" forum and allow for trimmers and other ancillary tools? Or "Small Equipment and Chainsaws"?
Or just leave things as they are and try to be civil.

I vote to change the name to "chainsaws and other hand-held power equipment". String trimmer talk has it's place.... Why can't it be here?

I personally think it's important to keep this a chainsaw-only forum. You dilute the knowledge when other topics are brought in.

However, I don't think it would be all that bad of an idea for AS to create another forum for turf stuff. I am a member of brand-L, but I have only posted a few times. Brand-G gets all my mower/trimmer traffic, but it's oriented to homeowners (of which I am one--just have more detailed interests). Who knows, maybe the world could use a friendly lawn forum.

Tim...??????? .. That thread was started well over a year ago...when there were alot less of us...and yep...it should have been moved...I agree. At that point I didn't know the OT forum existed on this site.....Talk to the moderator at the time :D

I agree that this should be a chainsaw only forum...with of course our typical off topic banter.

-censor police.

Back