Which used diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with 046...... a mid 90's Dodge 3/4ton ext. cab w/ cummins and a five speed. One buddy has a mid 97 Dodge 3500 four door 4x4 and loves it. He was getting around 18mpg before dumping a ton of money into it for Hp stuff..... Now it gets 11 mpg but is crazy powerful and fast. Another buddy has a newer Ford F350 4x4 with a stock 6.0 ltr and auto trans, std cab. His eng. is stock and gets 13mpg on a good day. I was surprized to see the Ford's mpg so low, that's epa for ya! They both pick on me with the 360 in my 2500,then I tell them what I paid for it.......that shuts 'em up ...:greenchainsaw:

stay away from 98.5 to 2002 cummins diesel trucks. these had electronic fuel injection pumps (VP44) supported by a lift pump. problems happens when lift pump goes out. VP44 draws enough fuel to keep running without lift pump, but quickly kills VP44. avg costs to fix is $2,300.

1998.5 to 2001 cummins also had block cracking issues on engines blocks marked #53. some never crack, but others (#53 blocks) crack at 100k-200k miles.

that's why if your going to get a cummins truck. go for a 12v pre-1998 truck or 2003 onwards.

cummins are 1/2 million mile motors, but rest of truck is not. still if one does regular maintenance, would not be afraid of a cummins truck with 200k miles on it. this is referring to 12v version of course.

Last edited:
juca insert

I read your post on the juca insert I am very interested in it but it seems like it would burn tons of wood like a regular fireplace???. Also are the fans loud? Do you love it and did you ever have an airtight? Thanks ted

Latest posts

Back