Which would you keep, Stihl 021 or MS180C??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a nice little Stihl MS180C at the garage sale and can't decide whether to keep it and sell my Stihl 021 or vice versa. I don't need them both.

Both of them are in great shape. For a small trimming saw which would you keep??

I don't care that much about capability because I also have their bigger brothers for when the going gets tough. (026, 046 and 066)

TIA

I would keep the ms 180 I had one and it worked great I wish I hadn't sold it but The guy I sold it to still uses it at least twice a week sometimes more. If I had to choose it would be the 180. Sorry about that it would be the ms180.

Last edited:
DanManofStihl said:
I would keep the ms 180 I had one and it worked great I wish I hadn't sold it but The guy I sold it to still uses it at least twice a week sometimes more. If I had to choose it would be the 021.
Uhhh, Dan are you a politician?

davefr said:
...I don't care that much about capability because I also have their bigger brothers for when the going gets tough. (026, 046 and 066)
TIA
That question, and the fact that there is some weight difference involved, really answers your own question, doesn't it? ;)

The 021/210 and 023/230 has never made much sense in my book as they weight about the same as the 025/250, and close to the 026/260.

Thanks, I decided to keep the MS180. It's about 1 lb lighter then the 021 and the same power output according to Stihl. Since it drives narrow chain it should cut faster.

I also like the bar adjusting mechanism.

I just put my little MS180 to work this past weekend. (had to fell, limb, and buck about 15 Doug Firs that were about 35' high).

This little guy is a very impressive saw. It just refuses to bog down even when totally burried in wood. I ended up using it more then my 026 and didn't even need the 046. It's only limitation was the 14" bar.

It's also much less fatiguing then using the bigger saws.

Picco micro chain and high rpm's really makes this a workhorse.

davefr said:
I picked up a nice little Stihl MS180C at the garage sale and can't decide whether to keep it and sell my Stihl 021 or vice versa. I don't need them both.

Both of them are in great shape. For a small trimming saw which would you keep??

I don't care that much about capability because I also have their bigger brothers for when the going gets tough. (026, 046 and 066)

TIA

That is blasphemy! There are never enough saws. Keep both.

Harry K

Keep the 180... The 021 is a bit of a dog for its size, and just a dumbed down 25. If you like that form factor, get an 025. At least it will have a side tension adjuster!

Latest posts

Back