whips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefeVTtreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, i have a field full of little stumps that over the years the past owners have cut and new little whips grown like wild fire out of every year, i think they are baby maple trees but does anyone know of a tool to totally get rid of these stumps other than a huge stump grinder?

Ok, i have a field full of little stumps that over the years the past owners have cut and new little whips grown like wild fire out of every year, i think they are baby maple trees but does anyone know of a tool to totally get rid of these stumps other than a huge stump grinder?

Yeah, it's called a chainsaw !

Or those little whips can be cut down with a brush cutter.
Depending on how tall they are.
If they are over 2 feet, whack um back to the base.
This time of year, spray with brush B gone. An Ortho product.
If you cut them to ground level, You can drill 3/8 " holes in the stump.
And pour undilluted brush B gone into each hole.
Or I sometimes use a windex type spray bottle to spray brush B gone
onto a fresh cut stump.
Hope this helps.
Keep us updated. O.K. ??

rent an excavator or a bobcat, this way you could pull or rip out the stumps and regrade the land for future use

this method is less work on the back :hmm3grin2orange:

rent, borrow, hire a stump grinder at the cost of grinding them
its a no brainer! I charge one dollar per dia. inch if you check around
you should find someone near this price! If they are small stumps you
will be ahead by hiring done and will be done with it!!! Chemical spraying
is expensive and if not careful can drift and kill plants not meant to kill !
Tahoe, or remedy is good for killing brush and can be purchased at
some farm supply outlets and I haven't done a cost compare on methods
however with grinding its done and you don't have to look at dead
stumps and reapply chemical .
t

Could check out your local co-op or ag supply store for a product called crossbow it works decent and will normally only kill woody plants. Also there is a pelletized product called Spike that you can sprinkle around stumps and whips and it will take them out as well as sterilize the soil for a short time. If your going to choose to use chemicals please dont go to hardware and ask the sales person. Go to a ag dealer or ag extension office where you will find someone who knows themselves or can easily look up the information for you in refferance books which they will have on hand. Not to mention buying from co-ops and other ag supply store will get normally get you more active ingredient for less money.

Last edited:
Could check out your local co-op or ag supply store for a product called crossbow it works decent and will normally only kill woody plants. Also there is a pelletized product called Spike that you can sprinkle around stumps and whips and it will take them out as well as sterilize the soil for a short time. If your going to choose to use chemicals please dont go to hardware and ask the sales person. Go to a ag dealer or ag extension office where you will find someone who knows themselves or can easily look up the information for you in refferance books which they will have on hand. Not to mention buying from co-ops and other ag supply store will get normally get you more active ingredient for less money.
Don't think an average person can get spike anymore and would not recommend using it for this application as kills ground for a long time! It should be applied very lightly and only in places where no growth is desired. I have used the product on power line maintenance and is slow acting will travel ground and kill non targets do not use this product unless you have been trained. Application rates must be followed there have been too many cases of people thinking because targets were not dead first year applying more pellets and killing a large area. Tordon 101 was similar and a lot of these
products you can't purchase at ag dealers because average person is not
trained to their biohazard effects.

You are correct spike wouldnt be something you would broadcast over a large area but for individual stumps or severe problem areas its a really good choice. We dont sell alot of spike these days but it is still available and isnt a restricted use herbicide. You will actually find very few herbicides are restricted use. Acetochlor concentrates and products containing Atrazine are the biggies cause they stick around in the water supply for ever. Government regulations have taken out alot of the herbicides that could provide control over extended periods of time( residual). Primary reason I believe is misuse by the end user.

I myself dislike using herbicides with too much residual control. If I had the above problem and it was over a large area, I would probably use a combination of 2,4-d and a dicamba like sterling or banvel. Could use either alone but mixing them makes quick work of most any broadleaf plant woody or otherwise.And next year if you decide you like the whips well then let them grow. Both have almost no residual effects and are very cheap compared to alot of formulations. They both have lactating animal restrictions on pasture and hay ground but its very reasonable.

Like I said there are alot of chemicals out there for use should a person choose to go that route. But always pay attention to your labels.

Tordon RTU(ready to use) works good for killing the stumps and the root suckers. However you have to apply it to each stump as you cut them so its time consuming but will get the job done.

Latest posts

Back