white pines.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was driving by the LARGE horse farm today to check out my trailer. As I drove past on a side road I noticed that most of their white pines are dying. I believe the trees were planted about 2 years ago. They are supposed to be a wind break after a good thousand plus feet of open fields. The growth looks to be good on some, but not so good on others. They are about 20 feet off from the side of the road. They are all mulched in and guyed in place. I was thinking possibly wind shear from all that exposed area. The needles are browning from the outside in it looks like, sporadically on the trees... I believe starting lower on them. Any thoughts?

The salts could be to blame as well as inproper planting.

They may all be planted too deep,some people plant trees to the top of the root ball without realizing that they may need to uncover the trunk flare.

P strobus very susceptible to poor drainage; roots rot in clay soil down here. Kind of a similar problem to deep lanting; roots asphyxiate both ways.

If you slipped the tree owner a New Tree Planting brochure, you'd be a helpful local authority for the cost of $.20.

Are they turning brown all the way around or just on one side? If just one side then wind scorch could be the problem. But I'm more inclined to agree with Guy that poor planting practices may be the problem.

Back