Who, anybody wear the gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a lot and I hate ear muffs. A few years ago the cool guys started showing up with custom fit ear plugs. They were very expensive at first but you can get them done at cabelas or a gun show for under 100 bucks. One of my best investments to date. They are so comfortable you don't feel them.They don't get all hot and sweaty like muffs, they dont catch on things like muffs. Less bulk so you can wear a hat in winter with no issues. Safety glasses don't get mashed against your head either.

I believe you can order a DIY kit on Amazon for around 20 if you want to try them. Radians is the brand I have tried. I use them all the time when cutting the grass, line trimming, using the saw. Love them.

Funny, I wear plugs when shooting but muffs when sawing. Guess with gloves and the dirty dusty scenario lifting amuff to hear someone talk is easier than messing w/ plugs. I recently bough a set of Sure Fire plugs. They are supposed to fit great, and accept a air tube for a 2-way radio so if you used them you would be able to hear the radio at the same time. They have a bypass plug to allow two levels of reduction as well. Have yet to try them out other than just a few minutes in the house, they seem comfy enough.

surefire.jpg

dw

I agree. But how do you take the chaps in the heat? I wear it all most of the time, but I get overheated pretty quick with chaps on in 90º+ weather with high humidity and little wind. I don't like taking them off but I can't take it after about 30 minutes or so. I have cut in shorts with my chaps on and that seems to help quite a bit. Do you have a lightweight pair of chaps you use and can recommend?
It gets hot and humid here in Alabama. Not quite as hot as OK, but pretty hot. Take time to drink fluids when you refuel saw. Usually wear a wet rag around neck. Keep the rag wet. Cutting with a chainsaw is not going to be comfortable in the Summer. That's why I cut mainly in early Fall or Spring. Except for a couple of weeks a year Winter cutting is comfortable. Learning to continue to function when hot and miserable is just something you get used to. Like humping a 120 lb. ruck, with body armor. Something you just do. It helps to ***** a lot. When the ******** stops, its time to watch out. Whatever you do, don't sacrifice your safety for a few minutes of feeling comfortable. I put on chaps when cutting cookies at a GTG. Somebody is always watching.

Funny, I wear plugs when shooting but muffs when sawing. Guess with gloves and the dirty dusty scenario lifting amuff to hear someone talk is easier than messing w/ plugs. I recently bough a set of Sure Fire plugs. They are supposed to fit great, and accept a air tube for a 2-way radio so if you used them you would be able to hear the radio at the same time. They have a bypass plug to allow two levels of reduction as well. Have yet to try them out other than just a few minutes in the house, they seem comfy enough.

surefire.jpg

dw

I have a pair of those! Wore a pair out before them. They do dry out and stop working after a year or two. But for ten or fifteen bucks, who cares?

I use chainsaws in three applications and areas of work. They all require different PPE that I can't always use saw PPE with. I'll outline all three. I can also say that if I'm running a piece of heavy equipment and just hop out to cut a log out of the way, I probably will not go out of my way to put on a set of chaps.

Working on my commercial roadbuilding Crew: Glasses/mesh goggles, Danner Quarry boots, long pants, Hexarmor 2028 gloves, hard hat, chaps, ear plugs.

Wildland fire: Glasses/screen goggles, hard hat, plugs when safe to use whatever gloves I have that meet NFPA 1977, my Whites boots, wildland pants/top, chaps.

Structural firefighting: Bunker pants/boots, gloves appropriate for task, helmet (borks down), either safety glasses or my air mask, and bunker coat if required for the situation. Hearing protection is usually a bad idea because it severely interferes with communication an already unsafe situation.

And for the guys complaining about wearing chaps in the heat, I say come play with us on a ventilation crew on a big structure fire. 200 degrees in bunkers will cure you of that in no time. Or maybe working a line in August heat right up on the fire.

Peltor forestry helmet with muffs and mesh visor, Oregon/husqvarna type A pants, husqvarna technical boots, gloves, ballistic rated prescription glasses and Petzl leather rigging gloves, every time I use a saw.

I have a second Peltor helmet with the 3M/Peltor muff with FM radio and two mic's that allow you dial in surrounding sounds while still limiting damaging levels. That's what I wear when processing firewood but not when felling in the woods.

Chainsaw PPE to me is just like having the right gear riding a sports bike. I'd prefer an old well used saw and good PPE than a new pro saw and possible life long injuries and disabilities that could have been avoided with some protective gear.

Common sense beats stupidity.

Peltor forestry helmet with muffs and mesh visor, Oregon/husqvarna type A pants, husqvarna technical boots, gloves, ballistic rated prescription glasses and Petzl leather rigging gloves, every time I use a saw.

I have a second Peltor helmet with the 3M/Peltor muff with FM radio and two mic's that allow you dial in surrounding sounds while still limiting damaging levels. That's what I wear when processing firewood but not when felling in the woods.

Chainsaw PPE to me is just like having the right gear riding a sports bike. I'd prefer an old well used saw and good PPE than a new pro saw and possible life long injuries and disabilities that could have been avoided with some protective gear.

Common sense beats stupidity.

Same stuff as your, except for the gloves, I can't wear them when I use my saws, even in the middle of the winter.

What kind of pants did you use? I used many different brands (SIP, Stihl, Pfanner, Francital), and recently I tried the Oragon Fjordland. Best bang for the bucks I think. Light, comfortable, solid...and only 130€ (The Stihl one is 230€ here)

I have the Oregon Waipoua bib type (Incredible value here for €89/$82) and whatever this years Husqvarna technical bib is (about €180/$165). They seem to change design every couple of years. I have a pair of Interforst deep forest trousers on order and will be interested to see how they are for comfort in hotter weather here. It's 30c today here so it was murder wearing full bib trousers but I simply won't take chances so far from help. We're about 120km/70 miles from an ER and my wife wigs out when she sees blood. Light headed, fainting, the works. No use when I hurt myself!

I've training and experience as a Wilderness-EMT so my trauma pack is always close by but I'm not so sure it would be of any use to me if my leg or foot is hacked up and I'm holding a bleed bandage in place while she's passed out under a tree. Easier to not cut myself and in case I do, have the PPE to minimise or help dodge an injury.

I'm amazed how many experienced guys here aren't even wearing hearing protection!

I wear the whole complement--hardhat with screen and muffs, also use the foam earplugs (nothing is 100%--besides, with the foam plugs I can actually hear people talking above drone noise better), safety glasses, chaps--ALMOST all the time. And recently bought some boots with Kevlar on the instep. Still breaking them in. I don't cut for a living, and I don't want to be crippled from a hobby. Hearing--man, I really want to keep mine--seen too many deaf old people. I like doing it as volunteer work, and if I get hurt, I'm not helping anybody--at that point I'm part of the problem, not the solution.

Kask helmet if i'm climbing or anything is being done over head, eye protection (usually sunglasses), ear plugs, Mechanix gloves, and Danner Quarry non steel toe boots.
I can't work wearing a suit of armor and IMO ppe gives some a false sense of safety.

Kask helmet if i'm climbing or anything is being done over head, eye protection (usually sunglasses), ear plugs, Mechanix gloves, and Danner Quarry non steel toe boots.
I can't work wearing a suit of armor and IMO ppe gives some a false sense of safety.

Non-toe? Is that due to electrical hazards? Or are they just easier for climbing? I have to agree with the false sense of security. There is no substitute for good work.

And does anyone else find a mesh screen interferes with their vision and actually glares? I don't feel safe at all when I can't see, and I'd rather just deal with the occasional sawchip to the face.

And as a paramedic, I can say I can treat those around me but I'm unless if I can't get to my kit bag.

No doubt about it. Like anything else in life where anyone can give it a go. Have you seen that TV show "All the gear, No idea"?

PPE can't compensate for crap technique, under-ability or over-confidence. An idiot might think it does, but it doesn't. If you're not an idiot and use some common sense, surely it won't hurt!

Likewise, good technique, experience proven ability and well earned confidence won't protect against some of the accidental injuries that DO occur and for which PPE can provide an extra safety margin.

It's extra. A supplement, not a substitute. I'll take it for what it is and trust that while some get lucky others will get unlucky and that any one of us could be either of those on any given day. I'd rather take a calculated and controlled risk and put on the gear than make excuses to myself for not bothering. 8 hours cutting today wearing all the gear, hit 90F, no breeze and a fog of mosquitos.... I wish I was stupid enough to take my chances and run a little cooler and lighter, but not for me. As they say, YMMV ;)

I don't wear as much as I should.. I only cut a bit of firewood... If I'm going to run the saw for more than a couple minutes I have ear muffs or plugs, felling I'll wear a hard hat, but want one with a screen and muffs on it (to get).. I can't work with gloves.. unless it's darned cold I'm not going to be found wearing them. Steel toed boots are on if I'm anywhere in the bush. Want to get some chaps.. but I always have a hard time finding stuff that fits me.. I wear 30-32 jeans.. most stuff that's tall enough won't stay up!

I rode a Honda CBR1000 for a few years, I commuted with it to work and also had a blast on the weekends.. when I was putzing around I didn't gear up other than helmet, gloves, and boots, but if I knew I was going to be having some fun, the full leathers went on...

I do agree with KenJax that for many people PPE gives a false sense of security, possibly replacing common sense. I'm never in a hurry when I cut, so I take good time to survey my surroundings, limb anything that could get in my way, and stomp out good footholds.. Also, make sure you always have an 'out' should a tree not want to do what you're expecting it to.

Most importantly, have someone know where to look for you! sh!t can always happen

Learned something last week, Southern Baptist Disaster Chainsaw training requires locking the chain brake if you move over 2 steps. Don't do it and you will be put pulling limbs. This was at tornado site near Durant, Oklahoma. We were to clean up mud but the lake rose a second time, good thing the saws were on the relief trailer.

Want to get some chaps.. but I always have a hard time finding stuff that fits me.. I wear 30-32 jeans.. most stuff that's tall enough won't stay up!
I'm 5'10" with the same size waist and a 33" inseam, and I got the Elvex JE-9136 chaps which fit perfectly. They also have 39" and 41" Pro-Chaps in case you're really tall and need them longer.

I'm 5'10" with the same size waist and a 33" inseam, and I got the Elvex JE-9136 chaps which fit perfectly. They also have 39" and 41" Pro-Chaps in case you're really tall and need them longer.
OK, I'm a 6' gangly type feller.. I'll look into them before I do any more serious saw work, thanks

Latest posts

Back