Who cuts firewood, but doesnt actually burn it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far? None of it for me... :laugh: No wood stove here. but I am clearing land for the new house, and that will have wood burning heat.. Dis be the oak we have pulled out do far....

Hey ya know what I noticed? I'm a gnat's a$$ away from getting that first row of novas filled up. Anyone got some rep? I need like 2 hits to make it. :D

attachment.php

That is pretty:rock:
I have two stove and this will be my 3rd year as a full time winter burner. My first year harvesting my own wood though.

One-Third

I only burn one-third of the wood that I cut, split, or stack. The rest is either sold or given to a close friend who owns the log splitter that I use. He lost his right leg several years ago and cannot safely operate either a chain saw or his splitter. I still can.

He sends 11 cords a year up the chimney.

I have cut for 4 years and I too am saving for a stove. I got started helping cut wood with my father in law, who burns it and sells it too. I have found it hard to save money for a stove when i Keep buying saws...lol....

Interesting. Do you sell all of it or just work to cut wood for pay?

I sell everything I cut. I amtrying to get away from cutting. It's a time and money thing. I think I can buy wood cheaper then cutting. I am wanting to build a processor like Drmiller did. I have to be able to produce wood even if I don't want to.

Scott

Firewood Expenses

I sell everything I cut. I am trying to get away from cutting. It's a time and money thing. I think I can buy wood cheaper than cutting. I am wanting to build a processor like Drmiller did. have to be able to produce wood even if I don't want to.

Scott
Scott, you may be right. The initial equipment cost may have made this a reality. I have often added it up. Consider this:

Used truck - $2,000
Two good used chain saws - $500
Used log splitter - $500
One year of fuel and oil - $500
Repairs and maintenance - $500
Miscellaneous expenses - $500

Total First Year Cost - $4,500

That's what it costs the first year before you find a "free" wood supply. If you are lucky, the equipment will last several years, but the rest of the expenses keep going on and on. Nobody gets rich in this business. A few of us stay warm.

Scott, you may be right. The initial equipment cost may have made this a reality. I have often added it up. Consider this:

Used truck - $2,000
Used log splitter - $500

That's what it costs the first year before you find a "free" wood supply. If you are lucky, the equipment will last several years, but the rest of the expenses keep going on and on. Nobody gets rich in this business. A few of us stay warm.

My brother in law has access to a dually diesel truck and a trailer heavy duty enough to haul a bobcat and my dad has a diesel Dodge 2500...no problems there. I have the saws, and I'm working on my soon to be brother in law's parents who have some acreage to let me cut there and it's less than 10 miles from where I live.

When my wife and I set the thermostats no higher than 62 last winter for a month and the electric bill for the baseboard heat was still over $400, I don't mind the time/work/misc expenses to cut firewood.

My brother in law has access to a dually diesel truck and a trailer heavy duty enough to haul a bobcat and my dad has a diesel Dodge 2500...no problems there. I have the saws, and I'm working on my soon to be brother in law's parents who have some acreage to let me cut there and it's less than 10 miles from where I live.

When my wife and I set the thermostats no higher than 62 last winter for a month and the electric bill for the baseboard heat was still over $400, I don't mind the time/work/misc expenses to cut firewood.

I can't fathom an electric bill that high, ever. I always try to see how low I can keep it. In the winter I average about $50 give or take $10. Love my woodstove.

I can't fathom an electric bill that high, ever. I always try to see how low I can keep it. In the winter I average about $50 give or take $10. Love my woodstove.

We had near record lows, extremely high winds, several feet of snow across a couple systems within a week or two., very unusual for the region. Electric price caps lifted on 1/1/2010 as well and I was heating with electric baseboard.

In the last week, I replaced the A/C only with a heat pump and got a new woodstove. Hopefully, between the two, I won't use electricity for much heat at all.

Used truck - $2,000
Used log splitter - $500

Right now I can buy 2 cords cut and split in my trailer for $210. I do have to drive 60 miles round trip. So to save $230 I have to go to the woods and cut and split 2 cords. Factor saws truck fuel splitter and time it's cheaper to buy.

Scott

Right now I can buy 2 cords cut and split in my trailer for $210. I do have to drive 60 miles round trip. So to save $230 I have to go to the woods and cut and split 2 cords. Factor saws truck fuel splitter and time it's cheaper to buy.

Scott
+1. I have to agree. That's an excellent price if it is a full 2 cords. My price is $100 a pickup truckload, user picks up, loads, and uses own truck. I help load. Two pickup truckloads w/o sideboards mounded high is about 1.5 cords. Most buyers would need to drive about 60 miles round trip to obtain it, just like your situation.

BTW, that's a heckuva trailer you have if it can haul a full two cords of good dry hardwood. Love to see a Pic when full. :rock:

Here is a pic of the trailer a little full. It only has 1 2/3 of a cord on it. When I stack it it hauls a little over 2 cords. This is my small dump trailer. The other dump trailers are 14x7. The will haul 2 cords loose and 7.5 stacks that are 4'x8'x16" stacked. That is a good load for the trailer. It will still dump it. The truck in the pic has a cord on it. I have replaced that truck with a little bigger one. The New to me truck is a F-550 with a 12ft flatbed.

Scott

I just moved back to Milton PA after spending 5 years in Florida, my home doesn`t have a fireplace but i`m still cutting like crazy.

Back