Who do you work for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Small one-crew outfits, I've worked for several. Between my personality traits and depth of experience, I usually end up running the crew in short order. This involves supervising the crew, maintaining equipment, fixing equipment, arrainging chip dump spots and making dump runs (most people cannot back a truck, never mind a truck with chipper), interacting with customers, etc. etc. etc. in addition to doing all the climbing. I've never made more than $150 per day performing all these functions.

I'm back to freelancing now. I'm making $25-$30+ per hour, supply my own gear, saws, ropes and pretty much whatever I might need in the tree. Business is picking up and I am no longer expected to supervise a crew in addition to climbing. AND the money is better! Made over $500 in 3 days this week, longest day was 6 hours.

How did the partner thing work?? I have been apprehensive about picking one up. I could use the help. Someone that shares a bit of the risks. Then I would have to share the rewards though. Micromanagement philosophy speaking I suppose.

Good money being a timber pimp. Uh, I mean procurement forester. A friend of mine is making some serious cash in E. Texas.

$100-$150 per day is actually quite cheap considering the climber is (or should) supplying his own gear and saw. A climber on the payroll should make at least $15 per hour and taxes, ins, etc. will increase that to a cost of about $25+ per hour to employ someone. On top of that, you need to furnish this employee with all safety gear, equipment, saws, etc. So a freelance climber should be able to charge that much and still be cheaper for the company than an employee.

i sold my business last sept. this past summer about 75% of my time went to one small company. if i was on the ground i got 175 a day if i was climbing 300 a day. i worked for 1 other tree svc climbing 1 day a week for 400. then i worked for 2 other companies climbing maybe 1 day every other week at 300 a day. my ground days consisted of running ropes or a saw, not dragging brush.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
So a freelance climber should be able to charge that much and still be cheaper for the company than an employee.

Guess what happens when my insurance company does its annual audit and finds out that this freelance climber does not have his own Worker's Comp or Liability coverage?

That $200 a day suddenly turns into $300 a day!

I'd be happy to pay a freelancer $200 or more a day, IF he has his own insurance. I haven't seen any yet. Most of the freelancers are worthless drunks who are too irresponsible to show up for work every day at a real job. So they work a couple days a week for cash whenever they run out of beer money. Just MHO.

Originally posted by Down To Earth
Unfortunately, the guy that bought me out doesnt seem to get along with my old partner!

Oh yeah procument forester, seems like it will be my dream job.

Dan
Or with us apparently!

What is a procurement forester?

I'd say around here a top climber would probably get about $20-30/hr. , as a freelance I don't know , haven't heard of any.

WC and the rep of the subcontractor, the 2 biggest hurddles in getting a foot in the door.

How about the mature climber who wants to continue the work. The only other directions are moving up the ladder and running a crew, or starting a competing company.

Some states allow the subcontractors to be excluded from WC, wish this was one.

If you can factor that 300-500 into the job, it could still be worth it to be able to schedule a very good climber in a few times a month.

You've worked with Brian, if brining him in on a job means finnishing in one day vs. 1.5.....

You've worked with Brian, if brining him in on a job means finnishing in one day vs. 1.5.....

john paul, thats the point exactly. a little while back i was contacted by a tree svc i new nothing about. he asked me about 2 oak removals. i looked at the job before i agreed to it. before i started i asked him how long would it take his climber to do the job. he said about 4 hours for each tree. i ended up roping one out of the other and had them both down in 2 1/2 hours. he was so happy he even gave me 100.00 on top of my day rate.

Sounds like a cool job, cruising around the woods, I could get into that.
A timber broker doesn't work for any one sawmill? Just brokers the deal by providing the info then taking bids?

tree co

In the Brooklyn and N.Y. area consists mostly of small outfits,All of these companies have at least 1 climber a lot of these guys are limited to what they can do, so it promotes freelancing.There are a couple of guys that work for different 3-4 different outfits and the price will vary according to the job.Its good for the co. and its good for the climbers. Kenny

Latest posts

Back