Who does the best mods to a ms 260 pro and what are they? Who does then close to IN

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrk585

mrk585

ArboristSite Member
I think Im going to get one of these saws but i want to mod it out is there any thing I can do at home? Is there any thing I can have any one else do

also lookin for mods to do on a 036 pro

Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
This is a little bit of a sensitive topic here right now. There are a number of people here with modified 260s that might PM you. The 260 can be modded for improvements but it does have a very restrictive air cleaner and choke. The carb bore is quite small also. It has quite high timing numbers from the factory and some people have screwed them up by simply increasing timing duration. I think Jokers has owned 260 's from 4 different builders and could tell you what to expect and what the different methods are of handling their small transfers.

West Texas

West Texas

ArboristSite Guru
At the expense of sounding like a wise ass; Is the Pope a Catholic? There are several AS sponsors who do saw mods, as well as several members who mod their saws. There are many opinions on this site concerning all of the above. Hopefully, you will receive some private messages (PM) that give you some insight on personal experiences to follow or avoid. Treat them respectfully and with confidentiality and you will soon become a respected member of this forum.

Having said that, yes you can do the obvious muffler mods, do a 'Search' of that subject and you will get enough reading and pictures to last you for a while. It's a no brainer, if you have a torque wrench and a hand held drill. The 026/260 series and the 036/360 series Stihl chainsaws all respond well to a simple muffler modification.

Modifications 'beyond' the simple muffler mods, require knowledge of 2 cycle engines, tools, expertise and common sense -- not all of which are possessed by the average chainsaw owner, so seek a pro to do it right. Cost for a 'woods' saw mod will be about $200 and includes return postage of the saw. That will be a mod that enhances its performance as a work saw.

Further mods to make them into a competition and race saw can be very expensive and requires even more care in the selection of the 'expert' to do the mods. And get a grip on your billfold, because this may not be cheap.

Hope this helps.

Tom

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK, you say you want a powerful light weight saw with adjustable oiler.

You can get the MS260 pro for about $500 and it produces 3.2 HP stock. You can probably get another 20-25% out of it with professional mods but now you're up to $700.

An alternative is the Dolmar PS5100 which produces 4.0 HP stock, has an adjustable oiler, and will set you back about $400.

I have 026's and a Dolmar. The Stihl 026/MS260's are great saws but the Dolmar is better. However it'll cost you about 1/2 lb in extra weight.

If you want to stick with Stihl I suggest you try one out. The MS260 is not exacly a "slacker" and they respond well to muffler mods.

IMHO professional porting/tuning is great for those who a need lightweight saw but have a specific need for it to cut similar to the next model up.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
mrk585 said:
All I want is a powerfull light weight work saw mid size with adj oiler

Get the 026-Pro or MS260 PRO. Use it for a while... If you want more, mod the muffler (10 minutes, more if you do a nice job with a spark arrester) and adjust the carb and you'll be back to 3.5hp. Anything else, get bigger saw.... Like a 361

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
I agree...

if you've already got a 36 pro, the 026 pro is perfect for you. It's the same combination I used for years. Put a 16 or 18 bar on it and you'll be really happy.

Latest posts