Who has a written safety plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Blye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a small owner operated fish in a big sea of regulations in a hazzardous profession. That aknowledged, where can I find a "safety plan" which Osha will like and acctually works. Online? Do I have to make one myself? What are we in the industry doing? Yes I have propper PPE and copies of Z133.1 but no plan yet. I need one. I don't know what would happed If I was the one who was hurt. What would my guys do? We need to discuss this with a plan! Please help advise.

I am not in the logging industry but I am in the safety and health field. OSHA has many tools to help small busineses including a logging etool: Logging eTool. At first look this may not look very useful but there is a model safety and health plan that you can use as a template: Logging eTool - Sample Safety and Health Programs For the Logging Industry . You will have to develop this written plan yourself unless you want to pay out the cash to have a consulting firm write it for you.

Safety plans are great if they are followed, and enforced for people at all levels. I asked the Manager of the branch why he and the office staff were in the warehouse working on occasion without safety footwear on as per company directive from Miami head office, and was told to mind my own business. As warehouse manager I figured it was. Note I no longer work there!

First thing is, you will never satisfy OSHA. Second thing is, hire a consultant as mentioned, it costs some money, but the more dangerous your profession is, the more you need somebody to write it that knows what to do.
More so, they know what OSHA wants to see in the plan. What might seem stupid and trivial to you will be the most important thing to OSHA.

Back