Who Heats with Wood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hanko

I don't have a Charmaster yet. I am going to up grade to a better furnace in the spring. I kinda like the Charmaster due to them being made 2 1/2 hours away from here. Just wanted to see how you liked it. If I end up getting one, would you be willing to share all your secrets?

1a over the last 2 years 100% of my heat was derived from a Jotul Castine however, I do have an electric baseboard and also a propane system backup.

I really want to convert my propane tank into a storage tank for over the road use.

I don't have a Charmaster yet. I am going to up grade to a better furnace in the spring. I kinda like the Charmaster due to them being made 2 1/2 hours away from here. Just wanted to see how you liked it. If I end up getting one, would you be willing to share all your secrets?
I dont know what your set up is, basement ect, I mean where you furnace will be located. I could go on and on about wood furnaces. In short, I replaced a fire chief with the charmaster. I improved my duct work, supply and return, to great extent over the fire chief. Charmaster says that the ducting is very important. All in all the charmaster is a better furnace for my situation. They come with a 2600 CFM blower and being as my furnace is in the garage and the heated air has a way to travel, the big blower helps. As I have stated before, I wish I had gone with a boiler and a heat exchanger in the main gas furnace plenum. The Charmaster has two dampers one factory installed the other you put in the smoke pipe, so there is alot of #### to play with, and it takes a bit to learn how to make it run the best. Ita good quality item and the people at charmaster have been helpfull. Do go with the domestic hot water coil, that works really good. I found out that US Stoves has come out with a EPA rated wood furnace, so I would check those out. Charmaster says that there stoves will use half the wood of others. BULLS__T. Also they say that they produce less creosote. They wont, but you have to run em hot hot hot . It will run you out unless its below 30 degrees. Ive been farting arounf with mine now for 4 months and just when I think I got everything figured out, it throws me a new curve ball. Farmer mike has had one for 20 myears and he speakes highly of his, and I guess I like mine to, if you have any question when its up and going feel free to call. 517 404 7824, see ya.

#3. Have an RSF Onyx that is ducted to the bedrooms and has a thermostat in our room. Will keep the whole house (2500 sq. ft.) around 70 degrees, and the gas central heat only comes on rarely. Run it pretty much 24/7 from the end of Nov. to April or so.

As it isn't so cold down here in Georgia all the time, I vary the wood we burn. When it's not so cold I burn a lot of poplar and sweetgum, and burn hard woods when the temps drop.

95% wood burner in and old Combo wood boiler.Only use the oil burner as back-up when we're away.Burned a whopping 100 gallons last year,and only 35 gallons so far this year.With the wood the house stays at a toasty 75-80,have to keep our bedroom door closed with a window cracked open 'cuz we like it cool in there.I average about 5-6 cords of wood a year.

About 90% of our heat comes from our Jotul insert. It does a good job keeping up with our 1400 sq. ft. ranch. There is a natural gas furnace in the basement that is set at 66 (I blame the woman for that). Burned $30 worth of gas in november and about $40 last month. Thats not bad considering the clothes dryer, water heater, and stove all run off ng. Next house won't have an insert, after running this one for a few years I think a free standing stove is a better option.

We heat 1900 sq ft, 95% of the time with a 36" Fireplace Xtrordinair.
The most the oil furnace will have to run is 7.5 hrs a week, and we have not hit that amount yet.
I guess we are more than a "3", but not quite a "1".

I installed a wood insert into a 5200 sq ft colonial. the downstairs has a very open floor plan that i heat only with wood the bedrooms i heat with oil for now and burned 72 gallons so far. i am installing a gas fireplace into the master bedroom which has a twenty five ft ceiling so i think i might be able to make it through next winter on 100 gallons of oil for the kids room....i hate oil

heating with wood on evenings and weekends. running through my supply a little faster than i'd like, so i've slowed it down a bit. heating 2700sf. fireplace xtrodinaire 36 elite

Went from a Crown Royal to a Heatmaster SS OWB a couple weeks ago as part of a warranty replacement. Long story there. I don't care to ever have any kind of a wood burner in my house again My Dad and Grandma both have Heatmors.

#6 -100 % wood heat with propane central heat back-up,2800 sq.’ +/- just installed a Shaver 165 OWB, also heating my hot water.

I figure that I’m saving about $300.00-$400.00 a month burning wood instead of the propane.

Hoping to convert my electric dryer this coming spring.

2. Central Boiler. Electric boiler backup has been off for 3 years now, along with electric water heater. We pay the Saudis with chainsaw gas money though (actually the gas here comes from Alaska).

Also we heat our water here with solar in summer months as well, so its more like 90% OWB and 10% solar when the OWB is off in summer.

Using two Jotul Oslos on the first floor of a 5500 sq ft Victorian farmhouse in Western Mass. This morning it is -1 F and both stoves are wide open and the oil heat is still on in the master bedroom zone. I guess that would classify me as partially wood heat.

Regards

Hugenpoet

Latest posts

Back