Who here likes Homelites? (homelite bash fest on another forum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at HD the other day looking at saws (trying to find an Echo CS-44) and every Homelite saw they had there said, "Made In China" on it.
Your Homelite may very well be made in the USA, but Homelite is now Chinese-owned and made in China.

So???

Never said the current Homelites weren't made in China. You said you'd never own a Homelite because of the Chinese connection (I'm paraphrasing). I'd wager that 98%+ of the Homelites that have ever been made were manufactured in North America (mostly in the US, with some made in Canada).

And Homelite isn't "Chinese-owned". Like many other consumer goods you'll find at Home Depot, they are manufatured in China for a US or European company (Last I heard it was the same holding group that ownes Ryobi. Probably changed hands again). Who cares about box-store consumer grade throw-away saws from any manufacturer? I doubt a CS-44 will be around cutting firewood (with it's original P/C) in 44 years like my Homelites are! :D

Since you'd never own a Homelite...if you happen accross a cheap/free SXL925, XP1050, XP2100S, 750, or any other old magnesium-cased Homelite, please pass it on to me for disposal. Wouldn't want you to be burdened with an inferior saw!

OK. I've given this one enough whacks... :deadhorse:

Last edited:
So???

Never said the current Homelites weren't made in China. You said you'd never own a Homelite because of the Chinese connection (I'm paraphrasing). I'd wager that 98%+ of the Homelites that have ever been made were manufactured in North America (mostly in the US, with some made in Canada).

And Homelite isn't "Chinese-owned". Like many other consumer goods you'll find at Home Depot, they are manufatured in China for a US or European company (Last I heard it was the same holding group that ownes Ryobi. Probably changed hands again). Who cares about box-store consumer grade throw-away saws from any manufacturer? I doubt a CS-44 will be around cutting firewood (with it's original P/C) in 44 years like my Homelites are! :D

Since you'd never own a Homelite...if you happen accross a cheap/free SXL925, XP1050, XP2100S, 750, or any other old magnesium-cased Homelite, please pass it on to me for disposal. Wouldn't want you to be burdened with an inferior saw!

OK. I've given this one enough whacks... :deadhorse:
You might wanna check your facts, Homelite is Chinese owned:
http://www.homelite.com/about_us
TTI is a world-class leader in quality consumer and professional products marketed to the home improvement and construction industries. An unrelenting strategic focus on powerful brands, innovative products and exceptional people drives our success.

TTI’s powerful brand portfolio includes Milwaukee®, AEG® and Ryobi® power tools and accessories, Ryobi® and Homelite® outdoor products, and Hoover®, Dirt Devil® and Vax® floor care appliances. Our products are distributed through major home centers and retailers, full-line tool distributors and other channels worldwide.

Our culture of innovation, firm commitment to R&D and extensive customer insight ensure our leading brands and high-quality products meet the specific needs of the customers, consumers and professionals that we serve and deliver long-term value to our shareholders.

TTI is listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (HKEx: 669) and maintains a Level 1 American Depositary Receipt (ADR) program (ADR: TTNDY).
Listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange yet they arent Chinese-owned??? Whatever you gotta tell yourself.
BTW, if I ever come across a cheap/free Homelite anything, I'll throw it in the trash where it belongs.
Heres TTI's webpage: http://www.ttigroup.com/en/home
Kinda interesting how one of the co-owners is Chinese and how they list their profits in Chinese.
Looks to me like you're the one getting whacked this time.

Last edited:
the whippersnapper can keep to his point of view, we know what the real Homelites are.
PDR_0658-1.jpg

Look up "Beating a Dead Horse" on google to get an understanding...

You might wanna check your facts, Homelite is Chinese owned:
http://www.homelite.com/about_us

Listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange yet they arent Chinese-owned??? Whatever you gotta tell yourself.
BTW, if I ever come across a cheap/free Homelite anything, I'll throw it in the trash where it belongs.
Heres TTI's webpage: http://www.ttigroup.com/en/home
Kinda interesting how one of the co-owners is Chinese and how they list their profits in Chinese.
Looks to me like you're the one getting whacked this time.

Wow...

Guess somebody's maturity stopped developing when the last real Homelite rolled off the line (1994, which puts him at 14 as mentioned before).

Didn't say you were getting whacked...was refering to the 'dead horse' emoticon I put in my post....

I do stand corrected on the Chinese ownership. I was mistaken. Didn't have anything to do with "anything I gotta tell myself". Of course that was the most minor, unimportant part of the whole discussion. We DON'T CARE where the new Homelite chainsaws are made. We DON'T shop at HD for our chainsaws here...

We were trying, without success, (hence the "beating a dead horse" reference --- which apparantly was lost on somebody) to get through to the text-message generation that most Homelites (the non box-store throw-aways) were made in the US.

Guess you showed me. :clap:

If you're dumb enough to trashcan a collectable (see how much money old power equipment goes for on fleabay) old chainsaw just to spite folks you'll never meet, then you're realy the smart one here!!!:monkey:

This is pointless...I'm BEATING A DEAD HORSE (NOT Octane or anybody else) here. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Does anyone know...

My grandfather had this old saw, that I think was a Homelite, sittin in his garage when I was real young about 30 years ago, and the saw was real old at that time and it had a tomato juice can like thing on the top of it, which I think must have been the gas tank. My dad and I were talkin about this awhile back and he remembered my gp out in the back forty cuttin with the old beast when he was younger.

Does anyone know if this could have been a Homie and what model it would have been?

My grandfather had this old saw, that I think was a Homelite, sittin in his garage when I was real young about 30 years ago, and the saw was real old at that time and it had a tomato juice can like thing on the top of it, which I think must have been the gas tank. My dad and I were talkin about this awhile back and he remembered my gp out in the back forty cuttin with the old beast when he was younger.

Does anyone know if this could have been a Homie and what model it would have been?

Only tin (steel) tank Homelite that imediately comes to mind is a model 500. That was a low cost version of a zip-5.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8f8ce52759eb3a9c88256b06000d3b88?OpenDocument

Gotta give props to the old Homelites. My SXL-AO will pull a 20" with a sharp full comp chain through anything I need cut, right up to two full passes with the bar. Still gotta get my 360 running just to compare the two, but I have to beleive the SXL has a slight edge in power. I think mine has the reed pyramid injtake that was mentioned earlier, it's a later model red SXL.

I think its interesting how saw design has evolved since the 50's with the vertical cylinders on saws like the 5-20 and 500, to a laying-down cylinder on the SXL's and a lot of the Macs, then in the 70's it was angles upwards on Stihls like the 031 and 041, now it is back to a vertical cylinder on most modern saws.