Who here likes Homelites? (homelite bash fest on another forum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We never noticed!!!!!!!!!!!

I think my Signature explains whether or not I like the Homelites ;)

After all with their invisions and advances they were well known as the KING OF VINTAGE SAWS and they are pretty much responsible for why saws are so nice today...

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

i like them just bought another tonight

I just picked up an old blue xl tonight for real cheap, running condition unknow though, even not knowing that the price was right.

Yea I read that corvette thread where Roscoe's c3's Said
"HoMo Lites, are for Homo Owners" Hmmmmmmm Wonder if he is bragging ?

All my saws are old Homelites. Homelite, and Mac were the last American saws. They still sound better than anything made today.

homey bashing

I,ll put a 750 up against any 880 that some joe paid almost 2000 clams!!! for.

I got a newer homelite that i modded the muffler on...Other than the clutch now slippin it kicks arse.Im happy with it and for what i paid was probably one of my best investments.(make my groundie use it so he stays away from my climbing saw)

I have to kinda wonder if the original poster over there in 'Vette country is really an engineer. I mean, if you're smart enough to make your way through college and get a degree, you'd think a guy would be smart enough to figure out that you get pretty much what you pay for.

For my money, the guy is an idjit, one of the "entitlement class" kids, the folks that have no connection at all to their grandparents, the folks who worked and toiled and slaved and did without so that thier kids got a little better shake out of life. Grandma and grandpa are getting paid back by a generation of slugs screaming "me...ME...MEEEEEEE!".

Let the dumbash snivel and whine. We all know better.

One guy that'd not take too kindly to the "HoMo" comments...

The toughest man I know is a 55 year old 5'07" 160Lbs rancher/tree cutter/heavy equipment operator/jack-of-all-trades who probably owns over 100 Homelites (and that's just the complete saws). He has just about every model from the old gear drives through the XL2s. He's been taking down many of the big Eucalyptus trees we get on the central/northern CA coast over the past 30+ years, including one that was over 18'-6" at the base! He does tree removal and sells firewood (hauled in a '47 2-ton Chevy truck) to many of the campgrounds in the area. He was in some Homelite dealer posters and calendars in the '70s (still has a couple). One pic in particular shows him holding a 750 with a 65" Cannon bar in front of that 18.5' stump. His partner was on the other side with another 750 sporting a 43" Homelite bar. There's a sizeable gap between bar tips!!!

The 'little saw' work is mostly handled with XL2s, XL12s, Super XLs, and a couple of 360s. Bucking of the bigger stuff is usualy handled with XL925s, C5/7/9s, and 1050s. The Super Whiz 66s and 80s still get some action in the wood lot as well (mostly for ripping). For felling the big sticks he has an 1130G, a couple of 2100s and some 750s.

This guy has gotten calls from Homelite dealers (when there still were Homelite dealers) looking for parts! He's amassed an impressive load of NOS parts from old dealers, as well as many parts saws. 'New' saws (whole and parts) show up on a regular basis because people know he "still runs that old heavy stuff". I can spend hours going through his saw barn looking at all the saws and parts (including an NOS 750!!!).

Since I'm a gearhead and only cut firewood for personal use I really dig all this old magnesium. I used to pay my bills by working on saws, but even that was years ago. If I was a pro and was using saws for a living (haven't ran a saw for $$$ since just outa high school) I'd be more of a "Modern Light/Fast Pro Saws or NOTHING" kind of guy. Myself I only have one running AV saw, and that's an 031AV! I don't know how my friend can run all those heavy, loud (no ear protection either) non-AV saws day in and day out, but he does, and he's made of iron...I don't know if that's how he handles these old beasts or because he uses them! I do know that he barely puts up with the "AV-Crap" in the 360, 650, and 750 saws he runs. "damn air boots!!!" :chainsaw:

He 'mods' some of his saws by modding the mufflers and installing pyramid reed blocks into his 'older' C-series saws. He also scratch-built a couple of beastly splitters using a Continental I4 and a Chevy stove-bolt I6. A processor is a slow moving long term project for him...

If my friend ever saw the guys that sold out Homelite (and those that screwed up Allis-Chalmers, but that's another story) he'd gut 'em and use their blood as bar lube!

There was some confusion about "different Super XL's" in an earlier post. There are indeed two different 'XL' families with nothing in common between them but the name. Interestingly, Homelite has used the engines from both families in many different pieces of power equipment such as augers, generators, water pumps, brush cutters, etc (and for that matter has done the same since the Wiz/Zip family).

Super XL (legendary old 3.55ci all mag saw):

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...47f8f0b8e0bc41ef88256c260048d87a?OpenDocument

Super XL2 (rugged, reliable little 1.6ci top handle saw). Some of the guys here call this saw family "Bic" in relation to the cheap-but-reliable cig. lighters. This engine was also used in the Water Bug pump as well as many brush cutters.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...cbf404a06b5865d088256c26004e7e91?OpenDocument

I'll try to scare up some pics of my friends 'working collection' and post them up.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the XL12 series, from the ol'Blue to the newer red version was probably the most popular saw ever built and sold. At one time it seemed everybody had one and now days when you go to an old farm auction you can find one there. It will have a varnished gas tank and gumed up carb, bad fuel line, and it won't be pretty to look at. but once I get them home and do some minor repair work they are throwing chips in about 20 minutes. They are not as fast as todays saws and weigh to much, but one thing I do miss on todays saws that most of the old ones have is a manual oiler. I still have the habit of reaching up with my thumb to push the oiler button when running a saw today and it's been 20 years since I have had to. A chain can never have to much oil. Anything after Textron, I don't consider it a Homelite, but if you tie the rope just right, they do make one fine boat anchor, wheel chalk, door stop, etc.

Last edited:
I asked on another post if Homelite made different size Super XL Automatic's. My father's is a mid to late 1970's saw. Red with an aluminum colored (not painted) handle. My friends father has the same saw as my father. Both of these saws have 16 inch bars. These two SXL's cut a little slower then my 021. My 029 flat out destroys them. So are there different size SXL's? Should they cut faster then my 021? I had my father's saw tuned up and it didn't really make any difference. I'm not bashing these saws. My father's saw starts every time, if you don't run it for a year and go out to start it, it fires right up. Maybe there is something wrong with them. I would definitely have my father's saw fixed if you guys think there is something wrong with it. It's in GREAT shape..........like the rest of my dads stuff is! ;)
Anyone want to help me out here? :help:

Well now I brought back 3 homelites a month ago from my dads house. sxl925:bowdown: xl924w and a VI 123... Sat for 15+ years the 925 and 123 had holes ate through the tanks. The 924 rotted the gas line off but still had some fuel like substance in the tank... as a matter of fact there wasn't a speck of black hose on the in tank filter (was just rattling around in the bottom of the tank when I drained the fuel.... ). Like the hose just melted off. Epoxied the tanks on the 2 with holes and spent an hour or so on each... Spent the most time trying to get a good fuel line for the 924. Now they all run great. lots of power.. Start easy cut like mad. even the little 123 cuts great. I know its not possible but the bigger saws almost cut better than my 394 husky. Or my expectations were so low that it seemed like it. At any rate there is no way in hell that my huskys or stihls would run so well after so long with so little work. :deadhorse: Ok thats my 2 cents. :givebeer: BTW the 924 after the cleanup was in killer shape.. Was probably the thick layer of oil all over the thing.

394xp
350 husky
61 husky
sxl925
xl924w
VI123
cheesy macs and poulans

Rather than comparing the old Homelites to todays modern saws, how about comparing them to what they competed against back when they were new.

Then there would be very little "bashing", since they would likely come out on top.

I just restored an early blue XL12. Thing looks brand new, and pretty much runs new. It would be silly to compare it to my 2156 Jonsered, but in any comparison to whatever else was out there at the time, it would do very well.

Rather than comparing the old Homelites to todays modern saws, how about comparing them to what they competed against back when they were new.

Sounds to me like the folks on the Corvette forum were comparing the new Homelites to Stihl and Husky. Several of them touted Stihl as the only saw that was worth a hoot. They should probably stick to talking about Vettes.:D

I wish I had a nickel for every tank of gas I ran thru an old HomeHeavy xl925. It wasn't even my saw, but my partner in the woods insisted I use it. He had a huge pile of old xl-12's, a few 924's and who knows what else. (Keep in mind this was in the 1970's). Whole lotta wood got cut by those heavy metal monsters!

Great memories, but I'm afraid you'd be hard pressed to get me to lift one of those old dogs now in lieu of one of my modern saws.

I asked on another post if Homelite made different size Super XL Automatic's. My father's is a mid to late 1970's saw. Red with an aluminum colored (not painted) handle. My friends father has the same saw as my father. Both of these saws have 16 inch bars. These two SXL's cut a little slower then my 021. My 029 flat out destroys them. So are there different size SXL's? Should they cut faster then my 021? I had my father's saw tuned up and it didn't really make any difference. I'm not bashing these saws. My father's saw starts every time, if you don't run it for a year and go out to start it, it fires right up. Maybe there is something wrong with them. I would definitely have my father's saw fixed if you guys think there is something wrong with it. It's in GREAT shape..........like the rest of my dads stuff is!

Anyone want to help me out here? :help:

Sorry but I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. You talk about your dad's saw being in great shape, then ask if there's something 'wrong' with it that needs fixing. Keep in mind that these are not high RPM saws, so there's not gonna be a lot of chain speed (and therefore cutting speed). You never mention whether these saws bog down when cutting or show any other signs of lack of power. Are the chains sharp?

Look at these links and tell me which saw your dad has. Some are much smaller in displacement than even your 021. All are much older. To me it sounds like there's nothing 'wrong' with your dad's saw.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ce0f71a23c6c52da88256c26004cc301?OpenDocument

A 'new model' XL. Also (and more commonly) known as an XL2. 1.6ci and pretty well taxed when equipped with a 16" bar. Aluminum handle that looks silver once the paint wears off.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...599a10777002057f88256c260047d374?OpenDocument

That's a Super2, or Super XL2. Despite the 'super' name it's a little 1.9ci saw, and part of the 'new' XL family. That's an aluminum handle under the rubber overwrap. Once the overwrap rots/is cut off then you have bare aluminum underneath. Notice that this model has two throttle triggers on the long handle, allowing use as both a top handle and a rear handle saw. Jack of all trades, ace of none...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...89a8b77c7953e87f88256c26004d84b9?OpenDocument

XL-1AO. 2.5ci. A good saw but not a stellar performer.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...a17d735d551f0f1e88256b78005f6a7b?OpenDocument

The legendary XL12 as mentioned by others. 3.3ci. Strong but not fast. Check out the red saw in the picture.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...47f8f0b8e0bc41ef88256c260048d87a?OpenDocument

The Super XL, also known as the SuperXL12. A 3.55ci improved version of the XL12. Later ones had the pyramid reed block which boosted high-RPM power. Still not a speed demon though...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...6ec65b1aab247f7d88256c260048e629?OpenDocument

A rare saw that is kind of a cross between a Super XL and an XL925. Pyramid reed block, wrap around handle, and still 3.55ci.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...29f7cc7d4279fc0988256c260014ff02?OpenDocument

Sorry, I got carried away on the collector's site. I doubt your dad's saw looks like this as it is the mighty Super 2100 (2100-S) and is 7.0ci of pure unadulterated eye-candy for an old Homelite freak like myself. Put that bar on your 021 and see which saw wins! The gear drive version (3100G) could handily pull the same length bar with 1/2" chain! Granted, the new high-reving high CC supersaws put out by Stihl and Husky will cut big timber faster, but that's like comparing a new ZO6 Corvette to an L88. Apples and oranges (and I know which one I'd rather have). Take that Corvette 'HoMo Bashing' forum!!.

Eccentric;

I think I have this down, but could you fill me in on the pyramid reed valve?

What I see on the newer XL12's is a block with the pyramid shaped reed valve, that has the carb sitting farther back. It also comes out with the carb when you rebuild it.

The earlier ones have the carb sitting right up against the housing, with a verticle reed valve.

Have I got that right? Also, what does this do for the RPM's and about when did this change take place?

So at this "other" site Im a member at, a gentleman had a bad experience with a Newer Homelite Timberman.

Which is understandable, because it is utter crap..

Heh. A Timberman 45 was my first chainsaw. If not for this site, I'd have never known that Homelite had made some good saws, too.