Who is nuts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can add is I hope the city folk stay in the city. We don't need them out here in the boonies changing everything they don't like.

Don't come up north, there is nothing up here.:)

All I can add is I hope the city folk stay in the city. We don't need them out here in the boonies changing everything they don't like.

I hear that!!!! Got one up road from me nailin posted signs on property he does'nt even own!! Of course he heats his wittle house with oil, and has watched me wack a 40" plus oak at the butt right on the property line. I told him the saw is family.....Strange he does'nt wanna visit? :D

i started a new job a few months back....mostly because i was bored (and retired) but, now that the weather is slowly changing and the temps are rising, i'm beginning to get the itch again. i love being outside in the summer and this job puts a damper on that....so, i might be quitting soon.

Got one up road from me nailin posted signs on property he does'nt even own!! :D

Got one like that too. I don't have a problem with posting but when you put one on a tree that is so obviously not on your proporty (cause the pin is right there) then I do have a problem with that. That happend twice with the same tree. The third time the tree was gonna come down -it didn't get that far, too bad.

I hear that!!!! Got one up road from me nailin posted signs on property he does'nt even own!! Of course he heats his wittle house with oil, and has watched me wack a 40" plus oak at the butt right on the property line. I told him the saw is family.....Strange he does'nt wanna visit? :D

i cant figue out why posting is the first priority when these people are here five days a year. and they're all "green" with their third home.

I think we can all agree you are not nuts. We, here, on this forum all think similarly. We all have our stories of our methods of self sufficiently that we practice to save money, live closer to the land, and in a sustainable manner and we are all proud of it. Most people have been so far removed from nature that they are scared of it(and truly don't understand how it works). We also all have our stories of the "crazy" people who live near us that just don't get it. My neighbor pays their $660 gas bill each month but still makes fun of me because we always have split wood, rounds, and logs sitting in various places around my yard. They just don't get it. And maybe they never will. I feel sorry for them.

I would have to agree with a lot of people here on the topic. Where I live you've got all the "trendy" yuppies coming out from the Twin Cities and suburbs out here to "rough it" in the rural areas in their cookie-cutter $200,000+ townhouses in their cookie-cutter cul-de-sac subdivisons on the outskirts of town or out of town. Then they want all the ammaminaties they had the cities and no atvs, snowmoblies, hunting, woodcutting/logging, etc. Then complain about farms being "smelly and eyesores" and about having to drive their Lexus hybrids over all that mud and manure in the spring...and then want NO noise what so ever, thinking that it's "quiet" all the time out here. And proceed to talk down to us on how we're "backwards" or "should be doing things". Well, I enjoy being outside. I enjoy being different. I don't mind hunting, less meat we have to buy. I wish we still had a garden too. I wish we could heat with wood again. I don't mind some noise. I own my trucks for reasons other than a status symbol. Same goes for my chainsaws. There not there in my garage to impress my neighbors during a block party and only used twice a year. I don't care about farms being "smelly". If it wasn't for them, the yuppies wouldn't have food or the dairy products for their lattes! (unless their veggetrians) I need to get off the soapbox....:angrysoapbox:....just my thoughts.

Edit: Oh, one other thing. My sister (who wants to live in the city) thinks I'm weird for joining this site with all the other "chainsaw people". No, I'm not weird. I joined up here because we all share simlar interests and there is a lot of helpful people here to get help and anwsers from on needs or questions I may have.

Last edited:
I think the only person I would accept telling me that I need to be more 'green' would be someone who lives in the woods in a small shack and survives on what they grow, catch, and gather. No electricity, gas, or any technological convenience they didn't build out of sticks, bones etc. Living and relying on the easy lifestyle afforded by society means you are a part of the environmental destruction and criticizing someone for not 'being green' is an example of people in glass houses throwing stones. Great thread and posts, I agree it seems to me that many so called environmentalists are nothing more than annoying hipocrites.

I work in an office with a bunch of folks who rarely go outside or do anything for themselves. I notice that they all seem to talk about the environment and how mankind is destroying it. I recently started telling them they must go outside for a total of just 6 hours a week in order to be able talk about the environment.

They think I am a nut because I burn wood, plant new trees for future wood, take my family hiking, fishing and camping, get 30% of my vegetables and fruit from my little 2 acres here on the edge of the megalopolis and I compost everything. Who is nuts?

Sorry a little venting.

I have some friends from the greater Boston area (up the road on the I95 corridor). As far as I know, they don't think I'm nuts but find me a little quaint with the old farmhouse "up north" heated primarily by an antique cast iron stove which we also use for cooking and baking. Although being able to differentiate various types of scat or knowing the difference between subspecies of maple pushes the envelope I guess. :)

As far as some of the other comments are concerned, if you take a longer view, it should be realized that the fishing in the East River was spectacular when the first settlers arrived 400 years ago. And the hunting was quite good on Harvard Yard right about the same time.

So I guess there's some wisdom in what Novemberwolf is suggesting. :cheers:

We have a government 'beast' whose idea of preservation is to rob the founding members of society to bailout one of it's most corrupted sectors to the tune of TRILLIONS.

The invention of the 'Cwhoreporation' is what really put us on the fast track to hell in a foreign slave made waxed cardboard handbasket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pin8fbdGV9Y

And who runs the corporations of today.....?

It's gonna get worse before it suddenly gets a whole lot better.

"I will bring to ruin, those ruining the earth" - God

TS

We have a government 'beast' whose idea of preservation is to rob the founding members of society to bailout one of it's most corrupted sectors to the tune of TRILLIONS.

The invention of the 'Cwhoreporation' is what really put us on the fast track to hell in a foreign slave made waxed cardboard handbasket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pin8fbdGV9Y

And who runs the corporations of today.....?

It's gonna get worse before it suddenly gets a whole lot better.

"I will bring to ruin, those ruining the earth" - God

TS

Based on this post, I'm unable to tell if you think the original poster is "nuts" for heating with wood, planting trees, and enjoying the outdoors.

Based on this post, I'm unable to tell if you think the original poster is "nuts" for heating with wood, planting trees, and enjoying the outdoors.

Well, speaking as an arborist of many years who burns wood, I am certainly willing to be forgiven for making the errant assumption that such a declaration was superfluous.

Also, and if you'll please forgive me, I believe that to compartmentalize the very important issue of environmental problems, without benefit of casting light on their true causes and effects, is at the very least, a waste of resources in itself.

May the Creator of the Great outdoors bless you, fellow students, in Yeshua, Christ and Savior,

TS

Last edited:
Well, speaking as an arborist of many years who burns wood, I am certainly willing to be forgiven for making the errant assumption that such a declaration was superfluous.

Also, and if you'll please forgive me, I believe that to compartmentalize the very important issue of environmental problems, without benefit of casting light on their true causes and effects, is at the very least, a waste of resources in itself.

May the Creator of the Great outdoors bless you, fellow students, in Yeshua, Christ and Savior,

TS

Thanks for the clarification. There is a separate forum for political discussion on this site. I participate in discussions down there but - as the son of a barber - try to heed the advice of avoiding religion and politics up here in the on-topic forums.

Sorry if I came across as glib. To paraphrase the Book of Ecclesiastes, "to everything there is a forum."

No personal offense taken.

To paraphrase the Book of Ecclesiastes, "to everything there is a forum.

Yes, perhaps you're right.

Maybe PolyTicks and God should have no relevance to a public discussion about our shared environment.

Again, please forgive me, I often wax enthusiastic when looking forward to One putting the other in their place.

TS

City folk movin to the country can make for some entertainment. Had a lady move out in our neck of the woods plant a little garden and put a 2 foot chicken wire fence around it. we asked her what the fence was for. She said so rabbits wouldnt get into her garden. We told her the Elk could care less about the fence and will eat a heck of a lot more than any rabbits could. She lasted about 9 months moved back to town. We still laugh about that today.

City folk movin to the country can make for some entertainment. Had a lady move out in our neck of the woods plant a little garden and put a 2 foot chicken wire fence around it. we asked her what the fence was for. She said so rabbits wouldnt get into her garden. We told her the Elk could care less about the fence and will eat a heck of a lot more than any rabbits could. She lasted about 9 months moved back to town. We still laugh about that today.

Thats pretty funny. It reminded me of my neighbors when they put up a few bird feeders in their yard so they could watch the birds. What they didn't know was it attracted the black bears and their bird feeders got torn down.

Some other good entertainment in the country is to go down to the boat launch and watch the weekend warriors put their boats in the water. It can be pretty amusing sometimes.:)

Lol, the bears ripped our birdfeeder down last year a few times. My dad got a game cam so we could get some pictures but of course after that the feeder hasn't been touched.

Last edited:
Thats pretty funny. It reminded me of my neighbors when they put up a few bird feeders in their yard so they could watch the birds. What they didn't know was it attracted the black bears and their bird feeders got torn down.

Some other good entertainment in the country is to go down to the boat launch and watch the weekend warriors put their boats in the water. It can be pretty amusing sometimes.:)

LOL!!!

Nothing like a Fudgie stuck on the ramp, with thier 50K SUV slipping and thier sinking boat that's off the trailer, for humble!!!

The only good thing about 'em is they have no clue as to the value of a Buck! LOL!

I sold a roll of duct tape to one for 10 bucks. His idea, not mine.:ices_rofl:

Another gave me 50 bucks for fixing his "loose" prop. He never heard of a shear pin, and didn't even wince when I used a skid staple...just happy to be buzzing around lake Michigan. LOL!!!:jester:

It's Illegal as hell, but as a kid on the piers, I sold more than one Redhorse Sucker to a Fudgie telling them it was a "Red trout".

Speaking of them, they are due back in a few weeks...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back in college I rented an older farm house-- 7 acres, small orchard, small barn, horses at the back fence, 3 fireplaces (we burned hardwood pallets from a local business that practically paid me to haul them off, but that's a story for another thread), the works... it was pretty terrific digs.

My roomie taught Sunday school in an inner-city church. He had the kids over one Sunday afternoon. They had a blast, running amok, marveling at our bizarre-to-them rural life. Eventually, though, they all wanted to know why we lived out in the country-- one even asked if we did b/c it's all we could afford!
We tried to describe the satisfaction of simpler life, but we were speaking a foreign language, apparently. They all agreed they'd never live out there b/c "if something went down, nobody would be around."
We tried explaining that the most awful thing that ever "went down" was the raccoons occasionally getting into the trash ...precisely b/c nobody was around. That answer was in a foreign language too, they would not be dissuaded.

And that's fine by me. I'm ok w/ being "nuts.":dizzy:

-Eric.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back