Who is nuts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Scrouge. Are you a member on HuntingPA.com ? If not, I think you'd like it.

Wood Scrouge. Are you a member on HuntingPA.com ? If not, I think you'd like it.

I'll check it out, only been hunting a few times but my boy has been showing interest, so I better get up to speed. I enjoy trout fishing in PAs many world class streams.

I just wanted to say this web site is an oasis for me as I sit here under fluorescent lights surrounded by guys who have wardrobes that cost more then my truck.

Is it your conclusion that man is not destroying the environment?

Yes.
"Now for something completely different" ( M. Python ). Didn't think you'd get this kind of reaction TC ?
From a cosmic perspective TC, Man has always used the physical environment for survival, in the past more than the present. e.g. Remember your class in "slash and burn" agriculture ? Not so long ago, world cultures destroyed their physical environment with the only tool they had : fire. The romanticized Native Americans burnt millions of acres for deer forage grounds. No choppers or jumpers to fight those out of control burns. Until the mid 20th C. most of the temperate forests were close to extinction from overuse. Now, there is more wooded land than during the Depression here at least.
In conclusion to your rhetorical question: yes, man is not destroying anything. It is a modern form of survival with all the benefits and liabilities.

Yes.
"Now for something completely different" ( M. Python ). Didn't think you'd get this kind of reaction TC ?
From a cosmic perspective TC, Man has always used the physical environment for survival, in the past more than the present. e.g. Remember your class in "slash and burn" agriculture ? Not so long ago, world cultures destroyed their physical environment with the only tool they had : fire. The romanticized Native Americans burnt millions of acres for deer forage grounds. No choppers or jumpers to fight those out of control burns. Until the mid 20th C. most of the temperate forests were close to extinction from overuse. Now, there is more wooded land than during the Depression here at least.
In conclusion to your rhetorical question: yes, man is not destroying anything. It is a modern form of survival with all the benefits and liabilities.

'butcher, if you haven't read it already, you may wish to read William Cronon's seminal work on the subject. Very relevant to our region of America.

http://www.amst.umd.edu/Research/cultland/annotations/Cronon6.htm

Cronon, William. Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England.

In the preface, Cronon states the book is an “ecological history of New England.” In order to reveal this history, the interrelations between the populations of New England (i.e. Native Americans, colonists, as well as wildlife) must be described.

Using ecological and historical sources, Cronon describes these relationships, reminding us that the pre-colonial ecosystem was a result of a cumulative sequence of ecological processes and historical events [viii]. He then describes the ways different populations interacted with the environment. These differences were not only due to the population’s vision of nature as a commodity (or not), but also due to their varying views of land and property ownership. Native Americans practiced mobility, exploiting the seasonal diversity of the land [37], while colonists were sedentary, firmly believing in bounding land (via fences). Cronon depicts the effects of these beliefs upon nature and concludes with the ecological changes resulting in the compelled sedentary life of Native Americans. Throughout the book explicit relations between animal and plant species and man are shown, such as that of the beaver and its disappearance, various deforestation and fertilization methods, and the import of weeds from Europe. One can see the relationships between nature and man, man and man, nature and nature are intertwined, forever influencing one another. [J. Hembree]

Ah very good question, I guess our existence here does have an impact on the environment the amount is up for debate. However, the point of the post was to vent about folks who seemly have passionate beliefs on the environment, but do little to improve it and have never (rarely) enjoyed it.

+1 on the last sentence

I work in an office with a bunch of folks who rarely go outside or do anything for themselves. I notice that they all seem to talk about the environment and how mankind is destroying it. I recently started telling them they must go outside for a total of just 6 hours a week in order to be able talk about the environment.

They think I am a nut because I burn wood, plant new trees for future wood, take my family hiking, fishing and camping, get 30% of my vegetables and fruit from my little 2 acres here on the edge of the megalopolis and I compost everything. Who is nuts?

Sorry a little venting.

I have been dealing with the public for 25+ years, I learned this thing........I am NUTS dealing with them:dizzy:

Today, I pulled out my 5 lb dead blow hammer to collect a bill that a customer is behind on. I did that because that is what they would respect, WHY?? cause I could and that is what they would respond to.

I need therapy to deal with the public:dizzy:

I have been dealing with the public for 25+ years, I learned this thing........I am NUTS dealing with them:dizzy:

Today, I pulled out my 5 lb dead blow hammer to collect a bill that a customer is behind on. I did that because that is what they would respect, WHY?? cause I could and that is what they would respond to.

I need therapy to deal with the public:dizzy:

No, Dr. FeelGood prescribes Valium, excellent regular sex, and.............

a different career. :cheers:

The bill is in the mail.

I haven't heard anybody use the term "Fudgie" since I worked a summer washing dishes on Mackinac Island in 1963.

LOL!!!!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Our regional specific acronymn for them might offend some good folks here.

"Fudgie" is still the nice name though, and it fits.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back