Who makes a 8 Way Log Splitter or larger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8-way wedge ?

I build a firewood processor with a 14-way wedge
Firewood processor Vlieland.wmv - YouTube
Cutting blades made off Hardox 400 16mm ( 5/8")
At this moment it will split trees with a diameter of 45 cm or 17.7"
Infeed lengt max 3.5 meter
Cutted log lengt adjusable between 25 and 50 cm (10-20")
Splitted log 11x11 cm
Drawing is avaiable in Sketch-up

Just send a mail to [email protected]

Greetings,

Frans van Baaren

I build a firewood processor with a 14-way wedge
Firewood processor Vlieland.wmv - YouTube
Cutting blades made off Hardox 400 16mm ( 5/8")
At this moment it will split trees with a diameter of 45 cm or 17.7"
Infeed lengt max 3.5 meter
Cutted log lengt adjusable between 25 and 50 cm (10-20")
Splitted log 11x11 cm
Drawing is avaiable in Sketch-up

Just send a mail to [email protected]

Greetings,

Frans van Baaren

That is a really nice piece of work, man! And I love your woods truck, too, what is that?

Truck firewood processr Vlieland

That is a really nice piece of work, man! And I love your woods truck, too, what is that?

Hello zogger,

The truck is based on a Suzuki Samurai.
The original axes and seconairy geerbox are original , but all is driven by an hydraulic OMP400 orbitrol motor.
High and low gear and 4-weel drive are working well, so no problemes getting into the woods.
Only the Samurai was not designed for the weight ( 1.5 ton)
Extra mainsprings on the rear axle were barely strong enough, but they will hold.
At work 3 hydraulic cilinders levels the machine , and a special designed leg takes over the weight of the lifting system.

Wow!

Hello zogger,

The truck is based on a Suzuki Samurai.
The original axes and seconairy geerbox are original , but all is driven by an hydraulic OMP400 orbitrol motor.
High and low gear and 4-weel drive are working well, so no problemes getting into the woods.
Only the Samurai was not designed for the weight ( 1.5 ton)
Extra mainsprings on the rear axle were barely strong enough, but they will hold.
At work 3 hydraulic cilinders levels the machine , and a special designed leg takes over the weight of the lifting system.

You do some really good work! Do you have any other builds/constructions to show us?

You are fast , conserning time differece between the netherlands and the states,
I've made pictures of almost every stage of the build.
There are more than 100.
I try to upload some of them so you can see some details.

Yes more pics please, nice work

More pics

Here are some more pics.
I designed allmost the complete machine in google sketch-up , so the plans are available ( free )
It took almost 9 months to build it out of nothing.
there are still some small problems , but for this winter it will do.
Changes : pump driven lubrication system for the saw
Autocycle for the ram.

Here are some more pics.
I designed allmost the complete machine in google sketch-up , so the plans are available ( free )
It took almost 9 months to build it out of nothing.
there are still some small problems , but for this winter it will do.
Changes : pump driven lubrication system for the saw
Autocycle for the ram.

Well, you do amazing work. I wish my fabbing skills were even a fraction of yours. And good for you for "open sourcing" and sharing your plans.

Its no rocket science to build such machine.
i build all kind of machinery for a hobby sinds i was a child, but they grow bigger and bigger.
I am lucky to have a friend with a nice machine workshop , that i can use for free( over 25 years ).
Its good to share idees , so everyone has exess to them , so the big companys no they are not allone !
I don't build them for the profit , just becouse i can do it and to keep firewood as cheap as possible , not just for me.
These forums spread a lot of helpful information ( for me aswell )

Its no rocket science to build such machine.
i build all kind of machinery for a hobby sinds i was a child, but they grow bigger and bigger.
I am lucky to have a friend with a nice machine workshop , that i can use for free( over 25 years ).
Its good to share idees , so everyone has exess to them , so the big companys no they are not allone !
I don't build them for the profit , just becouse i can do it and to keep firewood as cheap as possible , not just for me.
These forums spread a lot of helpful information ( for me aswell )

You got it, same philosophy I have as well, share knowledge.

Myself more, in the past, just woodworking and fixing busted stuff. Not a lot of built from scratch, although I was one of the first users/builders of what are now known as "mountain bikes", back in the 70s. I had a bike shop then, what I wanted, a fat tire, low geared 10 speed bike for off road use, didn't exist in the market so I built one in my winter slow time. Also some tools, one I had made fifty of and sold (because that was the machine shop minimum, I just wanted a few myself) now they are out there all over in the tradeshow industry, a tool that you can use by hand or put into a drill/driver and is used for tightening or loosening wingnuts really fast. Exhibits use zillions of wingnuts.

Not much in the way of a machine shop here for me, I have a hammer, drill, some files and a hacksaw.....plus no money for parts anyway. I scrimp and save to get parts for my trucks and saws and mowers all the time. And the only way I can even afford that stuff is we have good gardens, so I save at the grocery store a lot.

And I think..am pretty well convinced..times are going to be getting a lot tougher for most people by midsummer this year.

Anyway, don't want to slide more off topic, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your pics and information with us!

Wood truck

View attachment 216182View attachment 216183View attachment 216184View attachment 216185Well Zogger , i started in a bike shop aswell but now i an an engineer on a tugboat.
About the wood truck , i didn't read your question good.
If you mean my wood transpotation vehicle : its an Bucher Transporter 2400 (swiss alpine tractor 1978)
Some modifications are made on the back , sa a kipper and a 1500kg/m loading crane but the frame is standard.
36 Hp BMC diesel engine ,4 geers low , 4 geer high , and the same in reverse , speed : 32 Km/h ( 20 mile )
4 weel drive Diferential lock Front and rear axel.
Pto drive (540 rpm) and a 3 ton winch
No springs , but a hinge in the middle for optial contact on the soil.
Extremely strong

The first 2 pics are with the old crane and bad tyers

Last edited:
:rock: very cool and very well done :clap:
The truck and the splitter. Is the truck Bucher similar to a unimog? I have seen a couple of them, but the bucher seems to be much smaller and very well suited to the woods, again thanks and very cool

:rock: very cool and very well done :clap:
The truck and the splitter. Is the truck Bucher similar to a unimog? I have seen a couple of them, but the bucher seems to be much smaller and very well suited to the woods, again thanks and very cool

Its completely different from a Unimog.
Just 1.6 meters wide .(Standard single wheels)
No suspention and gravity point much lower.
Bucher transporter was made them until 1995 , now its Bucher-Schörling making cleaning vehicles.
The only thing similar to a Unimog is the extreme price.
View attachment 216341View attachment 216342View attachment 216343

Latest posts

Back