Who makes the best Lineman pliers and Diagonal cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good set of lineman pliers would serve you well. I have a 7.5" set of Klein's and an 8.5" set of Channellocks and I'm confident you'd be well served with either brand. The younger guys I work with run Knipex stuff and I wouldn't be afraid to endorse their products either.

30 years ago no one competed with Klein for lineman’s, but these days there are some good options. The Klein are still good but I like knipex for most of their cutting tools. Knipex are harder and will chip if you do too much horsing around on them or twisting. Klein are pretty tough but softer. Channel Lock are really good now, too but I don’t have any real experience with their lineman’s.

35 years a lineman for Cl&P - retired 18 years now, still have the same Klein lineman's pliers in my tool pouch - #1 in my opinion.
I never had a pair last me more than a few years. Always ended up cutting into something hot and ended up beading them up. That was just from carelessness though but being an electrician in the 80’s was a lot different. Lol

Let me guess you are tying up chain link fencing? The tie wire is thick but isn't it fairly soft?
I use smaller bolt cutters on high-tensile 9ga wire, it was painful trying to use anything else I had to cut it.

I recently took down a bunch of chain link fence, half of it used some fat aluminum wire for tying up, it felt like playdough compared to steel.

For those cutting fence wire nipping pliers are meant for it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-7-in-Nipping-Pliers-48-22-6407/206636905

My favorite linesman’s pliers are Craftsman professional series. I don’t think they are still made. When they were, they were made in the USA.

2nd choice are Klein J213-9NE still made and in the USA.

For diagonal cutters, I like the “plain old” black handle Craftsman brand.

I agree with others who think that personal preference matters.

35 years a lineman for Cl&P - retired 18 years now, still have the same Klein lineman's pliers in my tool pouch - #1 in my opinion.
What do you guys use to cut old 7200 volt lines put in in the 1940's? My nephew in-law is a lineman so I guess should ask him,,,,,, :omg:

For those cutting fence wire nipping pliers are meant for it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-7-in-Nipping-Pliers-48-22-6407/206636905

My favorite linesman’s pliers are Craftsman professional series. I don’t think they are still made. When they were, they were made in the USA.

2nd choice are Klein J213-9NE still made and in the USA.

For diagonal cutters, I like the “plain old” black handle Craftsman brand.

I agree with others who think that personal preference matters.

I am not a fan of end nippers. They are hard to handle and painfully slow but of course sometimes do have a spot.

What do you guys use to cut old 7200 volt lines put in in the 1940's? My nephew in-law is a lineman so I guess should ask him,,,,,, :omg:
Depended on the wire Bill - You could cut up to #2 copper with those Klein pliers, bigger than that like 2/0 or 4/0 you had to go to bolt cutters or ratchet wire cutter if you needed a nice clean cut for an automatic splice. The aluminum was all ACSR, which means aluminum conductor steel reinforced - you had to use bolt cutters on it.

Back