Who makes the MOST Efficient OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its probably a bit late for you to design your house around a masonary heater, but one of my friends did a couple years ago. They have a straw bale house with concrete slab foundation and floor and a passive solar design. They burn about 2 cords a year.
Usually they do a burn once every 2 days depending on the temperature outside and how sunny it is. With full sunny days they don't have to have a fire at all even at 30-40F.

That sounds like the basic idea of a Russian fireplace. I have friends with one down by Crater Lake. They cut their wood consumption by 2/3 with that thing. Burn a small hot fire, and let the heat radiate out into the house all day. They said that they built one in their house in Montana and cut their wood use from 20 cords a year to about 7.

CENTRAL BOILER all the way.Had mine for years with NO PROBLEMS.Other people I know with other brands have had minor problems.CB has 1 moving part---the damper.Seems to be the simplest on the market.I have the middle size one----they claim up to 72 hrs of burn time but realistically 24 hrs.I fill it once aday when I get home from work and then check it about 8hrs later.

Deadman

I Built a new house and have had a Woodmaster since the day I moved in 6 years ago. I love it! But if you are looking for efficiency go buy a state of the art propane furnace. None of these things are efficient. Half of your wood goes up the stack. Personally I couldn't care less. I'll cut some more wood and put soem fuel guy out of business. I heat my garage floor, basement floor, wood and tile areas of my house. The house is 3300 sq ft. Forget about all the crap you read and the salemen tell you. They are not efficient but they are great to have.

If I did not have my own wood ,I probably would not have one except for maybe a woodstove in the house for emergency use when the power goes out.But for the amount of work I do I feel it is worth it.It is easier to work up a little sweat than to write a $1000.00 check to the oil man.....

I enjoy making firewood, so its no big deal to me.

Its just a great reason to keep all my toys.....I need the Truck to get to the land and haul the tractor, need the tractor to load the wood, need the trailer to haul the tractor, need the saws to cut, need extra garage to store everything..................Its a vicious cycle! :)

I have an AHS multifuel boiler ( i wanted to burn coal ) but i looked really hard at their gasification boiler. IMO, it is the best one out there. I will allow for bigger pieces of wood than the Tarm and is cheaper and, again in my opinion, it is better built.
My co worker bought the gasification boiler and he just loves it. check it out.

http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/woodboilers.htm

I have an AHS multifuel boiler ( i wanted to burn coal ) but i looked really hard at their gasification boiler. IMO, it is the best one out there. I will allow for bigger pieces of wood than the Tarm and is cheaper and, again in my opinion, it is better built.
My co worker bought the gasification boiler and he just loves it. check it out.

http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/woodboilers.htm

Do you burn coal in your AHS

Hardy Wood Boiler

I am in the my second year with my Hardy OWB.# I don't sell these and have no allegiance to Hardy, so I will just give everyone the facts so you can use my experience to make an informed decision.#I live in Western New York and own a 1 year old 2700 square foot 2 story, well insulated home, with 2x6 walls, and many (30) Anderson dual pane windows.# The house has cathedral ceilings in the living room and and foyer, and 9 ft ceilings in the downstairs, 8 ft ceilings upstairs.# I bought the Hardy when I built the house.# I have never heated a winter season with propane, so I don't know how much it would cost to heat if I had to buy propane (currently $2 gallon).# I do know last year I burned 25 face cord.# I own 10 acres of woods, so I pulled out about 10 face cord, and purchased 15 (at $65 per face cord, seasoned and delivered)# Bringing my outlay for heat for that season at $975 + a lot of my time.# I heat the house and domestic hot water.# My propane bill is almost eliminated during the winter.# I estimate for a winter season on propane alone I would be spending around $2,200.# I keep the house between 70 and 72 degrees.#The Hardy is located 150 ft from my house, in a 12x24 un-insulated steel shed.# The PEX lines are buried 4' beneath the surface, in 4" PVC conduit.# I did not buy the insulated lines because of the expense (roughly $10/ft).# I have not measured the heat loss from the stove to the furnace yet, but expect it to be minimal.# The water is hot enough to burn your hand at the stove, and hot enough to burn your hand at the furnace.# I will submit another post with the temperature drop in the future.# Last year I loaded it 75% full 2X per day, at 6AM and 9PM.# #This year if the temps are above 32F I have been loading it once (packed completely full) per day at night usually 7PM.# The fire is usually almost out, but going enough to fire itself once filled.# On the weekends I load it 2 to three times, but only a few logs at a time.# The more often you can load it the less wood you will burn.# By load it I mean just a few pieces to keep the fire going, not a full load.#After 1 year, I am happy with the unit.# I looked at the Hardy and the CB, I went with the Hardy, because of the Stainless Steel and lower price.# I also know the rep personally and felt more comfortable buying from him.# Is there a better burner out there?# Probably, but so far I like the Hardy.# I just had the domestic water pump fail on this unit, replacement cost is $250.# I am not at all happy about that.# My rep told me there was a 1 year warranty, but I think we will be talking about that more in the next few days.# Has anyone else had a problem with Taco Cartridge pumps failing?#Smoke is not a problem where I live, as the stove is at least 400ft from our downwind neighbor.# These things do smoke a lot, but only when they are being fired.# Loading it is probably a health hazard for me, as the shed quickly fills with smoke.# I usually run in and out holding my breath and catching some fresh air outside.# Anyone with ideas on how to cheaply vent this would be greatly appreciated.# I have a few ideas I am going to try this weekend.

The PEX lines are buried 4' beneath the surface, in 4" PVC conduit.# I did not buy the insulated lines because of the expense (roughly $10/ft).# I have not measured the heat loss from the stove to the furnace yet, but expect it to be minimal.

Has anyone else had a problem with Taco Cartridge pumps failing?

I'm glad you are not having any heat loss problems, You must have a low water table there.

Yes the taco pumps are not the best IMO, I also had one go bad on me boiling the stove. No damage was done but I replaced it with a B&G PL36. It was just over a year old.

Have any pictures of your set up? :cheers:

How much are these gasification units? If a standard OWB runs 8-10k installed how much are one of the high efficiency ones, 15k?

Not sure about now but my buddy bought the AHS " Woodgun" gasification boiler and he loves it. I think he paid somewhere around $8,500 but he installed it his self.

You definately want a wood gassification type boiler if you looking for the most efficiency. I'd look at Garn or Tarm units. Both are good in their way. The Garn is in it's own building, the Tarm is an indoor actual boiler. I'm sure you could set it up outdoors too. Check out the sites for both and any other wood gassification units. :cheers:

Other good gasifier brands to look at are - Econoburn, Eko, Woodgun (for downdraft type) and Greenfire, Seton, Greenwood (already mentioned here... some have complained about their customer service though...) for refractory mass type gasifiers. The refractory type generally take bigger wood than downdraft type, but also may not be quite as efficient. The downdraft type definitely lends itself to having hotwater storage, but it isn't a necessity and many people wait one or a few years after buying their boiler to put in heat storage.

Much more information on http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewforum/21/

I'm getting ready to build a house and I am looking to purchase an OWB in roughely 6 months. I am wondering who makes the most efficient OWB?
I'll be heating a newly constructed house (well insulated) in Northern Wisconsin. The house will be roughely 2,000 square feet, and I also plan on heating my 3 stall garage (in-floor), and possibly in the future will add on another garage and MIGHT heat that.

I'll gladly spend more Money on a good quality boiler NOW, so I don't have to replace it in the near future, and also so it doesn't just burn a mountain of wood.

So what manufacturers do you recommend, or any special features to look for?

Thanks in advance!

I built a new house (3300 sq ft) and planned all along to heat with an outdoor boiler. I bought the 2nd from the largest Woodmaster and have been very happy. I heat my garage (3 car) in-floor, I heat my basement and wood floor and tiled area (in-floor also), have heat exchangers in two forced air furnaces and heat my potable water. The thing works very well. As for efficiency, well that's another deal. Mine isn't all that efficient. I'm pretty sure that you won't find one that is. Get ready to cut wood. If you are not prepared to cut 20-25 face cords (6 or 7 cords) stick with propane or fuel oil. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Latest posts

Back