Who parbuckles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
starterlogg

starterlogg

ArboristSite Lurker
I just got the BIG O.K. from a farmer to remove the last of logs I cut down I cut down in winter, dragging them on the trailer is slower the rolling them over parbuckling but the chain or strap is alway too long or too short, I'm doing something wrong "wife is not there to tell me what" so some hints or discriptions would help , thanks

Speed

Speed

ArboristSite Operative
I do, but I have no pictures. Great way to load without a loader, as skidding from end picks up dirt along length of log. There are some good videos on YouTube. I don't know if you are using a winch, truck or tractor, but search "ox logging, cross haul" will give you a good idea of what to do for ropes/chains. There is another guy loading a f800 with a winch, pretty slick setup for winching.

Speed

Speed

ArboristSite Operative
Dad and grandpa used to do it with logs, turns out it works great for firewood, also. Especially since I found that I, too, am too cheap to buy a loader. I just wish Dad still had his Percherons. Its easier with animals, as you don't have to climb on and off the tractor. And, a winch is way too slow for my liking.

Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I wouldn't wanna try a full load like that

View attachment 301114

I was loading this almost daily last year. Considered parbuckles, ended up with a antique tractor instead.

A question, to slightly hijack the thread. Has anyone ever had experience or seen the pto loading arrangement described as:

PTO shaft from truck (2 ton, 16' set up with bungs) drives the pinon of a differential. Cable is wound around a drum on one side, and the brake on the other side is setup on a lever with a rope attached. The truck has a strong upright welded behind the cab where there is a arm about 8 foot long that can swivel out to load logs. Cable runs out the arm and you hoist the logs with the differential by applying the brake. This is how they were doing it before the advent of hydraulic loaders. He showed me pics of a old chevy setup like this, and the incredible load of logs on the truck. Said it runs pretty fast. Load it in less than a hour.

I have a old two ton Ford out here, and am considering trying to build this arrangement. Not a "safe" method, I know. but faster. That trailer would take me 3 hours to load with the old tractor.

origionalrebel

origionalrebel

ArboristSite Operative
View attachment 301114

I was loading this almost daily last year. Considered parbuckles, ended up with a antique tractor instead.

A question, to slightly hijack the thread. Has anyone ever had experience or seen the pto loading arrangement described as:

PTO shaft from truck (2 ton, 16' set up with bungs) drives the pinon of a differential. Cable is wound around a drum on one side, and the brake on the other side is setup on a lever with a rope attached. The truck has a strong upright welded behind the cab where there is a arm about 8 foot long that can swivel out to load logs. Cable runs out the arm and you hoist the logs with the differential by applying the brake. This is how they were doing it before the advent of hydraulic loaders. He showed me pics of a old chevy setup like this, and the incredible load of logs on the truck. Said it runs pretty fast. Load it in less than a hour.

I have a old two ton Ford out here, and am considering trying to build this arrangement. Not a "safe" method, I know. but faster. That trailer would take me 3 hours to load with the old tractor.

that's the way the old pulpwood trucks were set up around here back in the day when they hauled 8ft sticks loaded crosswise of the truck. now they don't even use chainsaws.

Rudolf73

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just got the BIG O.K. from a farmer to remove the last of logs I cut down I cut down in winter, dragging them on the trailer is slower the rolling them over parbuckling but the chain or strap is alway too long or too short, I'm doing something wrong "wife is not there to tell me what" so some hints or discriptions would help , thanks

That made me chuckle :msp_biggrin: but yeah I totally understand :msp_unsure:

Here is a pretty handy trailer I came across on the 'tube a little while ago. May seem a bit slow at times but saves busting your back over some heavy logs.

[video=youtube;Nli3C6sh5XA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nli3C6sh5XA[/video]

Latest posts