Who Uses Their Log Splitter Vertical?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at some log splitters that tilt to vertical. What I am trying to do is spare my back from lifting some of these heavy rounds I cut.

Anyone using their log splitter in the vertical position? How well does it work? Would I be better off getting a splitter with a log lift and just split horizontal?

Any tips, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

I absolutely do! 32" solid beech rounds 18-20" long - best of luck lifting that up! My back starts hurting again just thinking about that! I slipped a disc and pinched the psyiatic (sp?) nerve in Jan by doing just that, lifting heavy wood for 2 days and I was in pretty good shape (bad technique I later found out)......I love the vertical position option (no jokes, I know) THe hydraulic lift will cost some $$$$

I also use my splitter in vertical mode, and the constant bending over is murder on the back. I started using my hookeroon to maneuver the logs into place and that helped quite a bit, but still quarter them and then finish them in horizontal.

Vertical on the big stuff-which is not that common here in west central Minnesota. Took down a 26" elm and split it all vertically-hard on the back. 99% of the time we're splitting ash horizontally.

Vertical is the only wa to split

I usually work with at least one buddy, sometimes more. Usually one person will be on their knees in front of the splitter in vertical configuration. We will have a piece of carpet, foam, knee pads, etc for that person. Another person fetches rounds and stages them for the guy running the splitter. Sometimes we'll use the mini excavator with a thumb to move the big rounds to the splitter.

We alternate between fetching and splitting. We have worked 48"+ hardwood rounds with our 35T Husky with the mini handling the pieces until they are worked down to a manageable size. With four people-one splitter, one fetcher, one on the mini and one heaving wood into the elevator, we can split a lot of wood in a hurry.

The problem I have found with the vertical is that the wedge keeps getting stuck in the wood rounds and you have to beat the wood off the wedge. I like the wedge on the side that it is being pushed against.

vertical

WHen I borrow my Dad's splitter I always run it vertical. Horizontal is just too much lifting for me.

I have a vertical/horizontal, and I have found that production really slows down when it comes to swinging the beam down vertical.I have found it far faster to park the splitter right up against the tail of the trailer and roll the rounds right on to the splitter.If the rounds are too big for that, noodling is still far faster and easier on the back then using the vertical mode.

Vertical does get old after a while.Like mentioned before horizontal with some type of lift is MUCH easier on the back as long as the beam sits at a comfortable height.

Yep, I gotta agree. The only time I flip mine up to the vertical position is to quarter big pieces. As soon as they are small enough to handle its back to horizontal. I built my splitter and have but 1 big complaint, I should have added a log lift instead of making it horiz/vert capable. My next one will be a stationary horizontal with a log lift.

Yep, I gotta agree. The only time I flip mine up to the vertical position is to quarter big pieces. As soon as they are small enough to handle its back to horizontal. I built my splitter and have but 1 big complaint, I should have added a log lift instead of making it horiz/vert capable. My next one will be a stationary horizontal with a log lift.[/QUOTE]

=====

You can make it do both, and still have a lift and work/catch table...

Yep, I gotta agree. The only time I flip mine up to the vertical position is to quarter big pieces. As soon as they are small enough to handle its back to horizontal. I built my splitter and have but 1 big complaint, I should have added a log lift instead of making it horiz/vert capable. My next one will be a stationary horizontal with a log lift.[/QUOTE]

=====

You can make it do both, and still have a lift and work/catch table...

I doubt it. Picking up a 200+ pound chunk with a log lift would be a problem unless the splitter was hitched to a tractor or truck. I live in town, don't own a tractor and don't hook my truck to the splitter. The more available space around me the better. Don't want anything else in the way.

I doubt it. Picking up a 200+ pound chunk with a log lift would be a problem unless the splitter was hitched to a tractor or truck. I live in town, don't own a tractor and don't hook my truck to the splitter. The more available space around me the better. Don't want anything else in the way.

I built a table for mine and it will support my 250lb butt without any out-riggers or being hitched to anything.

I've used a vert/horz Huskee 35ton. Vert position is hell on you. Big rounds are hard to handle laying flat on the ground trying to move them around under the splitting wedge. Two guys are mandatory using vert, one to kneel down to run it and another to fetch rounds. Otherwise, its just too much work bending down every round then getting up to gather more. IMO, its much easier to noodle the rounds down to managable quarters then split them horizontally. I dont own a splitter, most of my wood is split by hand. Hard crotches and knotty stuff gets saved for borrowed splitter. I sell about 80 face cords a year, <15% is mechanically split. Its always funny when a customer askes what kind of splitter we have. We just puff up and say, you're lookin at 'em.

I have a Northern Splitter (horizontal ONLY) with a Timberwolf 4 way wedge....I have split 50-100 cords a year (give or take)....

I recently fixed a horizontal/vertical for a customer....my impression....

AWKWARD!!!

Wouldn't own one....

I quit using mine vertically, after I got my tractor with a loader.:) I added a spot up close to the tongue and hang a 100lb of weights from my weight bench, so it don't flip back. Or I'll quarter'em up with the saw first.

Horizontal only 4 me . This past sunday was 4 full cord in 4 hrs and that included stopping for breakfast . My height is adjustable so I adjust it to a comfortable working height .
Timberwolf TW3HD , 4 and 6 way head. log lift and delivery table.

I divide up the logs into two stacks--big and small diameter. The smaller logs I split horizontally. Then I swing it up and split the big mamas that I cannot lift very easily.

That works for me and I can do it all by myself. Nobody seems to want to help me. After all, spltting logs is work, regardless of how you do it. Half the people work and the other half do not. The half that do work have to work in order to support both themselves and the half that don't work. :bang:

Latest posts

Back