Who Uses Their Log Splitter Vertical?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split all my wood horisontal and lately I have been quartering the big ones up with the saw,getting a little older and don't want to screw up my back thats still good.<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VlMDwCjT-vo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VlMDwCjT-vo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>Had this vid of my new Dolly 7900 making its first cut on a small round of oak.

2nqfz2p.jpg
it would take a lone time with a chain saw:dizzy: thears 70 cords here

For me.... for those pieces that are borderline on whether to use the splitter in H or V.... I find the vertical to be easier on my back....granted I position the splitter in the center of all the rounds....I can almost reach each round while kneeling at the splitter......I'm sure that opinion will change over time and noodling will become a preferred method.....right now though, for me, I feel less stress in my lower back this way.

I made a carry all type platform for my 8-n that is 24"wide x50" long it uses a Harbor Freight 12vdc winch to raise/lower it.

I roll the big rounds down the trailer gate to the lift and raise it to the splitter.

Before I made that I would set the splitter in the vert. position and sit on a round while splitting,it worked ok but all that getting up and down stuff started wearing on my lower back.

Whenever my wife would come out to help,the 1st round she would split would be my seat :monkey: and then she would end up all hunched over while splitting?

The last load she helped me with,was the first time she has seen the lift on the tractor,she says it was way better then the old way.

I dont

Well I dont because I cant but the deal I got I couldnt resist. I was going back and forth between the american and the timberwolf. After several days of indecision I finally decided on the American 25hh. I was set on the 5.5 Honda with 13 gpm pump. Well As I was about to go out the door for the dealer I decided to take one last look on Craigs List. Wouldnt you guess I see one listed not far from home (1.5 hour drive). It was an 25H model a few years old but with 8 hp Honda and 16gpm pump. The seller was asking $775. Called him up, he still had it so I took a ride out. It was the low model which I am not fond of but a few mods to the height and welding the 1/4" nuts on the push plate it will be awesome. The splitter came with the 4 way wedge and the wedge backer, about $300 in options. As it sits the splitter today would sell from somewhere around $2500-$2800 by my calculations. Runs awesome and splits like a champ. The deal was so good I made a half hearted attempt at haggling. Went like this... ME: In the interest of haggling will you take $700 ($775 asking price). HIM: I was hoping for $750. ME: Deal.

splitter.JPG

It was a good week for American splitters

Stihl-o-matic, I did the same thing last week, was about to go down to Sears to order a swisher, checked CL and found a AM24H in Winsted. I only got him down to $800, but it had the 4 way and the 13 gph pump.
Where in CT are you?

Greg H

Well I dont because I cant but the deal I got I couldnt resist. I was going back and forth between the american and the timberwolf. After several days of indecision I finally decided on the American 25hh. I was set on the 5.5 Honda with 13 gpm pump. Well As I was about to go out the door for the dealer I decided to take one last look on Craigs List. Wouldnt you guess I see one listed not far from home (1.5 hour drive). It was an 25H model a few years old but with 8 hp Honda and 16gpm pump. The seller was asking $775. Called him up, he still had it so I took a ride out. It was the low model which I am not fond of but a few mods to the height and welding the 1/4" nuts on the push plate it will be awesome. The splitter came with the 4 way wedge and the wedge backer, about $300 in options. As it sits the splitter today would sell from somewhere around $2500-$2800 by my calculations. Runs awesome and splits like a champ. The deal was so good I made a half hearted attempt at haggling. Went like this... ME: In the interest of haggling will you take $700 ($775 asking price). HIM: I was hoping for $750. ME: Deal.

That is one sweeeeet deal! :clap:

Now if we can just teach you to resize your pictures..... :buttkick:

:D

:cheers:

Split a Big Round Today...

... at least Big by my standards. I extracted 42 wood stove logs from that round. It was work, but I loved producing them all with my log splitter in the vertical position and I did it by myself.

Somehow, I just couldn't see lifting that monster onto the I-beam in the horizontal and wrestling with it from there. Does anybody blame me?

i never split vertical.

mostly because i hate doing it.only time my back ever popped.laid on the ground for a good ten or fifteen minutes after trying to move a big round into the splitter.

i will never do it again.

i suggest you buy a big Husqvarna and rip them down.no sense going vertical that I can see.
When I bought a splitter,I made sure it was only horizontal.

The problem I have found with the vertical is that the wedge keeps getting stuck in the wood rounds and you have to beat the wood off the wedge. I like the wedge on the side that it is being pushed against.

Most of the good splitters have some littler wood stripper tabs welded to the side of the beam to remove the wood if it is stuck.

Most of the good splitters have some littler wood stripper tabs welded to the side of the beam to remove the wood if it is stuck.

I must have missed that. :dizzy: It was a rental, before I bought one. But I would also agree with most of you that verticals are hard on the back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back