who warms up their saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see people go wide open into the wood immediately after starting a saw and knowing what this does to a two stroke it makes me cringe. How many of you do this and who lets their saw warm up before cutting?

3 Minute Countdown

I warm them up...simply count out 180 seconds as it idles and I go about my business.

I wait just long enough to get some heat into the piston/cylinder, then I let her rip.

You WARM UP FELLERS are the reason for GLOBAL WARMING :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:

Scott

i warm up by blipin the saw:biggrinbounce2: my 460 husky is a stuburin cuss too get the chain flipin around the bar, it is my own fault keepin it snug hate loose chains. my 260 pro just starts and i get too cuttin no need too blip unless i am cuttin sapy pitchy types of woods too keep the oil flowin:greenchainsaw: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Wood4heat
It's 92 degrees out. I'm not using any saws today.
Allways warm up your saw and never let them run when low on gas.

Huskeys Kick......................

+1
I warm up all my saws before I start cutting.
How much is up to the user.
For me If I get a good throttle responce, I'm ready to cut.

When the saw is running out of gas (IMO) would be more detrimental.

I warm them up too.

I guess it's a practice from my ultralight flying days. I seen an in-flight cold seizure and it's not a good thing. Even if it doesn't seize, it can't be doing the top end any good.

Of course, we had CHT gauges, but for saws, several minutes idling and a thumb on the fins test is good enough.

(never had a seizure on my twin Solo powered plane, but I did have a carb icing engine out once)

I have cold siezed water cooled engines

I know they are more sensitive to a hot piston growing faster than the water cooled sleeve. But yeah I warm my saw up a few seconds before loading it up in a cut.

Walk slow to where i'm cutting with saw at idle watch the cows and moose fart because they are the cause of global warming , usually by then the saw responds well dig in and go. The mysawmyrules comes from the guys that I cut with borrowing my saws to cut there wood and getting balled out for not warming up. To which they get the mantra of my saw my rules if you don't like it put it back in the truck.

Latest posts

Back