Whoops!! Saw vs. Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Trimmer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guess who won?

Background: They left this 2 month old 346xp in the chute and went to lunch. When they got back, they fired up the chipper, got ready to chip and ...

attachment.php

That is absolutely AWESOME!!! I have alwys wanted to see/hear what that would sound like. Was there a fire from the gas?

Who had the sad task of going through the chips to find all those little pieces?

I've seen that done with a metal 2 gal gas can-bad, and a stack of 4 24" traffic cones-worse. The cones went 1/2 through a drum chipper, talk about seriously stuck!

Running a saw through one would su(k bigtime.
-Ralph

BostonBull said:
Who had the sad task of going through the chips to find all those little pieces?

The owner. He said he would have been pi$$ed if it weren't "one of the coolest things I've ever seen". It was one of those "just as I turned around" things. He got to see the whole thing and said the chipper didn't even flinch; it was just LOUD. After new knives and bolts, it was back to business as usual.

All in all it was a $965 lesson, hopefully learned.

TT

I'd get some glue and make a mosaic to frame and hang on the office wall. Lookit all the pretty colors!

Never had a saw go through........I did have a mentally challenged employee run the winch cable in though:cry: .........He doesn't work here anymore.:bang:

Wow, that is actually pretty darn funny. Kinda like seeing someone fall down and laughing after you know they are a right.

I would not use that chipper until you had the disc inspected..... I remember about 7 years ago a crew working for the Care of Trees had a disc break in two while in operation...... they said it sounded like a bomb went off! If I recall correctly one piece (60% of the pie) was thrown 30 or 40'. The other piece was over 60'.... One of the fellas was a new groundman.... "he never came back"....just walked off the job..scared the holy crap out of them....I believe it was a brush bandit. They (brush bandit) claim that a metal object weakend the disc in the area of the knives and that It was just a matter of time before catastrophic failure.

The chipper looked like it was hit by a bomb also........absolutely ripped to shreds....they were extremely lucky nobody got killed.

The 12X is a drum chipper. He took it to the dealer and they told him what was needed for it to be safe again.

They were chipping again by the next morning.

TT

back when woodsman first came out my machine had those disposable knives in it. my ground man heard it wizz by his head as it broke and came flying out.

i also was doing a bunch of work on my chipper once, replaceing clutch changeing filters blades etc. i forgot i removed the bolts from the anvil to flip and started the machine and engaged the clutch. talk about a racket.....it blew the anvil right through the chute.

thats a perfect example of how terrible a woodsman chips. a bandit or morbark would have made much finer chips.

Back