Who's still burning??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still burnin...34 yesterday morning. Hopefully this weekend I can shut her down. Good thing is I haven't touched next years stash.

Got oil delivered today. Got 211 gallons on the bargain contract price of $2.61. Without the contract, price would had been $4.46. Oil company thought I should of burned 730 gallons for the winter. With the insert only burned a click over 500. Glad I got that insert.

Your oil man is as happy as you that you are a wood burner. He either didn't have to cover the cost differential if he didn't hedge your contract, or could resell your unused oil at a profit if he did buy a hedge.

We built a fire last night. It was a bit chilly, with a combination of wind and showers. Felt like late Oct. and not a week out from Memorial Day. :confused:

We burn with a cookstove and heated up a grocery store pizza for supper. Ditto on the junk wood. Mostly I was burning the bark that's been falling off the stuff I'm splitting for next winter. Dries fast and its just as easy to toss it in the stove as it is to bring to the dump.

With talk of mid-30s for the next few nights here in central NH, we'll be burning for the near future. I'll proably sweep the barn floor and burn all the wood chips that are a byproduct of a winter's worth of kindlin splittin, and toss in a few punky pieces to serve as the substance of my fuel. Trying not to cannabalize next year's wood pile for ridiculous late season burning (just scoured some seasoned on the stump red oak, likely dead for +/- 5 yrs and ready to go).

Though it is nice not having to fire up the gas range when suppertime comes 'round.:clap:

Last Indoor Fire?

I'm thinking that this morning's indoor woodstove firing might be the last of the season (mostly). Supposed to FINALLY warm up this week towards 80 F.

Now I'll move my burning to my outdoor woodstove to heat water on. Last fall I built a special woodshed just for this water heater and filled it up with short chunks of split balsam fir. Enough for 4-5 years! On another thread I told how this simple outdoor water heater cut my propane useage so that a tank lasted for 32 mouths instead of 14 months between fillups.

Around here there airn't no "last" fire, it's merely an indoor fire or an outdoor fire.

Will have to make a fire tonight 43f now. Just a few day's ago had the air conditioning running, it was 86f. =metric +6c today and last Sat was +30:dizzy:

Back down to the low 40s here tonight. I turned the house thermostat back on and filled the boiler tonight. Gone from pith wood burning to het water only to house heating again. Late season chill. I think I will leave the OWB on this year until they put us under fire restriction. Maybe it will rain all summer here this year. Never know in the PNW.

As of 2 days ago I moved my wood-burning operations outside to my wood fired water heater. Cleaned my house chimney yesterday. Looked crusty (dry & flaky) and got 2.75 gallons of residue out of a 20 foot chimney. Good to go for next winter!

30 F. here last night (May 26). Fire back inside this morning. Will it continue this way into June?

well, somewhere on this thread I claimed victory over winter. The war is not yet over. I had a fire last night and am still burning as of noon today, may 27. when will it end!!???:dizzy:

well, somewhere on this thread I claimed victory over winter. The war is not yet over. I had a fire last night and am still burning as of noon today, may 27. when will it end!!???:dizzy:

Had the chimney sweep come last Friday and everything is clean and ready for next fall. So I'm done regardless of what Mother Nature may do in the next week or two.

We're getting a freeze tonight - there WILL be a fire in the furnace tomorrow - and maybe the cookstove, too (I have a guest from France and he's cold all the time). (No French jokes, please - unless they're really good.)

Last edited:
I declared victory about two weeks ago although I cheated and put the gas furnace on a few times to take the chill off. I looks like it is really over this time the last couple of days have been perfect around here.

We're getting a freeze tonight - there WILL be a fire in the furnace tomorrow - and maybe the cookstove, too (I have a guest from France and he's cold all the time). (No French jokes, please - unless they're really good.)
Not a french joke, but was in Paris last summer. I was with my fiance and her best friend who lives in Paris, was are guide. I was having a beer at a cafe on a steep hill side road when I said how do they get up here in winter?She looked at me and laughed,and said this is not Canada and if we get 3cm of snow it stops traffic!
Oh yes I will be burning wood in the morning as the forecast calls for +4c for the morning but +18c for the day. Mornings are still cool and it is almost June.

Last edited:
30s again last night but no frost on the garden. I debated making the fire inside or outside this morning, then saw that it was 58 F. in the kitchen, and build the fire inside. Last time?

Latest posts

Back