Why are Stihls regarded as the "best"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are Stihls regarded as the "best"?

BECAUSE MCCULLOCH AND HOMELITE DON"T MAKE PRO SAWS ANYMORE!!:confident:

fit and finish eh??? you may want to use a better term IMO. I have seen Dolmar and Solo and they have the best fit and finish over Husky and Stihl. But while they are great saws they are a little lacking in small areas. Stihl air filtration on some saws will kill them here if not carefully watched and attened to (more so than the others) Stihls AV can leave a bit to be desired. Stihls own cylinders on their pro saws have shown to be below par of late with regards to finish etc. Yes they work but no where as good as the early 066 stuff.

I will give Stihl this, they have the best business practice and model of the lot. Im not saying its the absolute best way to do it, but they are IMO doing it better than the others hands down. What I dont get is, the USA would be one of if not the biggest markets, and the bone heads at Solo, Dolmar and Husky only need to copy what is right in front of them to get a bigger market share. Imagine how good all saws could be if: Solo and Dolmar actually had good dealers with great support all over the country and the R&D guys took the imput from pro users seriously. If the pros are using a brand, that will flow into the hands of the retail/homeonwer market.

only down side is we wouldnt be able to buy saws and parts online.....but i could live with that.

btw I own all Husky saws and Stihl blower and line trimmer. I would happily own Solo and Dolmar. I dont have a problem with Stihl's quality but I just dont like the balance and feel of them. Thats just a personal thing.

They make decent products. They have the largest dealer support network. They have aggressive advertising. This doesn't mean they're the best in all categories and every class of saws. It just means they know what they're doing and have done it well long enough to earn trust. Staying at the top is easier than getting to the top.

If they keep putting out low quality gutless saws like the MS170 staying at the top won't be easy, ask Polaris what happens when quality take a dive. At least Stihl makes good pro saws. Steve

I didn't know Stihl was the best.

I thought Husqvarna was.

Still do.

That is often the case, but not always.

Many brands make some very good models - but also some that is not - the brand name alone tells you next to nothing! :wink2:

Go team stihl!!

The ms200t, ms440 and fs250r are great tools and well worth owning. If you need something else, you can probably do better with another brand. Stihl could be a whole lot more user friendly company if they would just sell parts online. Chasing parts at the dealer is a fools game.

Like a Harley dealer, I can command MSRP on anything with a STIHL logo on it and not have any whining.

I've run a few stihls a 038AV a 036 PRO and a 084 and was never impressed with the power to weight ratio. Just seemed to heavy for what they were. I have become a Dolmar man, but do value the light weight Huskies!:msp_smile:;)

I drive by 2 stihl dealers on the way to work there is another not fare from me I like both husky and stihl they both. Have pros and cons the nearest husky dealer is way out of my way and its a big box store that doesn't impress me and they don't carry the pro model saws. My 2 cents

StihlHusky.jpg

Back