Why Are the New Strato type Saws Heavier?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar3

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody have any real explanation why all these new saws are so heavy??

Depends on the models you look at. 562xp is about the same as the 262xp. 550xp is lighter than the 346xp. New designs. 372xt is heavier than old 372, trying to retrofit a current design. Depends on what they're doing.

Do you have specific models or is that a blanket statement?

Yeah, it would depend on what saws your are talking about. The RedMax GZ4000 did not gain much over the G3800.

I guess in general you have a slightly taller piston, an extra air valve/throttle plate and some more complex transfer runners. Doesn't seem like it should add much weight.

Also, what defines "so heavy" is subjective. I'm not sure I've ever heard so many he-men whine and cry over a pound or so before.

Airbags, GPS, ABS, heated DVD players, adjustable seats, power windows/locks/suspension..blah blah

Well, you get the idea, more complicated, more mass there, gets heavier.

It seems like the Stihl saws have gained weight. An 044 was 13lbs new 441CM is 14.6 thats a big jump. I saw a thread about a new 60cc dolmar it was 13lbs same as a MS362. How much extra could the carb weigh? I don't get it.

Basically all the first gen ones got fatter. The saws are physically wider in a lot of cases. Not sure if this is due to transfers etc and/or a lack of modification of the standard way of building and situating things but basically the powerheads are physically larger, hence the extra weight.

Everyone's first generation strato saws were pretty fat. 575, stihl 441, 362. 261 gained weight but i think by most measures it's an improvement over the sort of weight gain to power gain that was seen with the 362.

The latest huskies coming through are actually neck and neck with what the old saws were.

Nobody wants a boat anchor but at the end of the day construction materials being equal, more weight is more material, and more material in the right places isn't always a bad thing.

That's the other half--everyone wants a 7 hp, 70 cc saw that weigh's 10 lbs...you think a saw like that is gonna last?

576 and 372

They do that so, in a few years when sales start to wane, they can shave a few ounces off and claim......."New and improved and lighter than ever!".

Mike

It seems like the Stihl saws have gained weight. An 044 was 13lbs new 441CM is 14.6 thats a big jump. I saw a thread about a new 60cc dolmar it was 13lbs same as a MS362. How much extra could the carb weigh? I don't get it.

The 044 was never 13 lbs:

original.jpg

The 441 is closer to 15lbs:

original.jpg

The Dolmar is only 13 lbs so far on paper. I haven't seen it on a scale. But Dolmar also claimed the 7900 was 13.6 lbs, which was an outright lie. It basically weighs the same as an 046 mag(and I thought my old 046mag had more torque, too):

original.jpg

original.jpg

On the face of it, the weight differences are neither here nor there.

So the specs are fudged a bit eh. I saw a thread with a 372xp and a 441cm and they both weighed in at 20lbs with a 20inch bar and chain. I ran my new saw for its first load of wood and the weight wore me out but im sure ill get used to it.

What's the wet weight for an equal run time? If fuel economy improvements are significant the strato saws could be lighter than those with conventional 2-strokes.

What's the wet weight for an equal run time? If fuel economy improvements are significant the strato saws could be lighter than those with conventional 2-strokes.
A good point. Also, it would make more sense to consider it in terms of percentage of weight of a fueled saw with a bar and chain. Otherwise it makes the difference seem more significant than it may be.

Too much technology in an effort to conform to EPA regs.

If the EPA was nonexistent we would probably be running saws that weighed less and produced more power than their non strato predecessors.
And use more fuel.

Back