Why chainsaw guide bar has a hole near the tip?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sum Ting Wong !
Ummm... Some bars have a grease hole on the end to make lubrication of the nose sprocket easier. However, if you are talking about the side that is under the clutch cover when attached to the saw, it is so the oil can flow onto the chain. pretty much all Stihl bars except for 3007 003 0101 which is only compatible with the GTA 26.

Slight change of angle here but I was building a full scribe log cabin at the Millennium out of some quite large poplar. My father had planted them for the match industry back in 1960 as there we grants and all the experts were showing graphs going up at 45 degrees of the amount of people smoking and needing matches by the year 2000. Father said I would be rich, but the Millennium came and those that had not packed up smoking used butane lighters, so I had all these large poplars looking for a home
A chance conversation with one of your countrymen from Oregon came up with the story of a poplar log Church that was 120 years old,’ So I went on a full scribe course in Devon UK and we built it from about 40 trees
I then had to bore cut the doors and windows, but it was difficult to keep it accurate on the inside where I could not see what was going on
So I welded up a small frame with two handles coming out at about 30 degrees and fixed it to then end of the bar via the hole which is the subject of this thread.
To protect the man on the inside I welded a substantial metal plate bent to the shape of the bar tip to protect against broken chain or flying debris
The final part was of course to have a third man watching and communicating any trouble to me.
Of course I had to be accurate (or lucky!) with the first plunge then we could fixed the fabrication on the end.
The result was it worked perfectlyB09998C7-61A3-4511-80F7-633441E3A323.jpeg7E158769-EBD1-488D-BD42-B05139D0ADE5.jpeg73E184EE-B807-47BE-9F7C-209C6BDDD15C.jpeg3A8036A3-FFF3-4707-9CAD-7F585E72C2D0.jpeg18E00827-04B1-4C0C-8505-B12F3C281EA4.jpeg

Slight change of angle here but I was building a full scribe log cabin at the Millennium out of some quite large poplar. My father had planted them for the match industry back in 1960 as there we grants and all the experts were showing graphs going up at 45 degrees of the amount of people smoking and needing matches by the year 2000. Father said I would be rich, but the Millennium came and those that had not packed up smoking used butane lighters, so I had all these large poplars looking for a home
A chance conversation with one of your countrymen from Oregon came up with the story of a poplar log Church that was 120 years old,’ So I went on a full scribe course in Devon UK and we built it from about 40 trees
I then had to bore cut the doors and windows, but it was difficult to keep it accurate on the inside where I could not see what was going on
So I welded up a small frame with two handles coming out at about 30 degrees and fixed it to then end of the bar via the hole which is the subject of this thread.
To protect the man on the inside I welded a substantial metal plate bent to the shape of the bar tip to protect against broken chain or flying debris
The final part was of course to have a third man watching and communicating any trouble to me.
Of course I had to be accurate (or lucky!) with the first plunge then we could fixed the fabrication on the end.
The result was it worked perfectly
Don't know what looks nicer, the cabin or the car. Congratulations, sir.

Don't know what looks nicer, the cabin or the car. Congratulations, sir.
Thanks, proud of both. 120 was bought new by my uncle in 1952. He had three daughters who between them had eight daughters. So uncle gave it to me on the condition that they all go to the Church in it on their Wedding Day
Two so far, six more to go!

Thanks, proud of both. 120 was bought new by my uncle in 1952. He had three daughters who between them had eight daughters. So uncle gave it to me on the condition that they all go to the Church in it on their Wedding Day
Two so far, six more to go!
Of course the car has the most beautiful backstory ever. Cheers!

The result was it worked perfectlyView attachment 1064662View attachment 1064663View attachment 1064664View attachment 1064665View attachment 1064666
Is there a way to rotate pictures after they have been uploaded? I am afraid that the cabin doorway is upside down!

Latest posts

Back