John Deere CS36 chainsaw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiWhiz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a John Deere CS36 chainsaw that runs well but when I have the correct tension on the chain after a few revolutions the chain will lock up. I loosen the chain until is turns freely then it will lock up again. I am curious if it is because the inner guide bar plate is missing. I can not find the part as they seem to be obsolete.

That missing inner guide plate may be the culprit. Without that, the metal-on-metal contact creates friction as the chain spins around the tip. That explains why the chain tightens up after running freely in the beginning.

Before replacing the whole bar, I'd suggest placing a smooth, thin piece of plastic or wood as a makeshift plate. Just to see if reducing the contact points helps the chain spin freely. If a DIY substitute still doesn't do the trick, then replacing it with a complete bar/plate would be needed. But maybe a simple fill-in piece will get it moving smoothly again.

Not enough oil getting to the chain will cause overheating and that will cause the chain to bind.Check to see if the chain is hot when it stops. If you put a plate between the bar and the pad make certain it has a slot in the correct location to let bar oil to the chain.

I have a John Deere CS36 chainsaw that runs well but when I have the correct tension on the chain after a few revolutions the chain will lock up. I loosen the chain until is turns freely then it will lock up again. I am curious if it is because the inner guide bar plate is missing. I can not find the part as they seem to be obsolete.
Picture of clutch

Attachments

• IMG_20240124_180650696.jpg
    IMG_20240124_180650696.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240124_180554926.jpg
    IMG_20240124_180554926.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I bought a nice little cs400 ECHO for $30 at a yard sale. Owner said he put a new bar and chain on it but it wouldn't turn the chain. Looked just like yours. I put a new sprocket on, used it pretty near a year then sold the saw for $165 or thereabouts.
Check the bottom of your chain for damage and make sure the bar rails aren't sloppy or damaged and or the bar tip sprocket isn't wore down, sloppy or stiff.. You can compare to new,post good pictures here, or somebody local might be able to assist u. A new chain or 2 and sprocket at the same time is a good practice. They wear the same together and roll with less resistance and chain stretch . A stretched chain also will climb high on a new sprocket wearing it prematurely . Every thing else can run and work perfect, without a sharp chain and efficient drive system its not a very effective way to cut wood so don't pinch penny's when it comes to those parts.

I believe that is an Efco saw in J.D. green. Possibly Echo. Should be a twin in another color . I would think you could buy OEM or OEM quality for about a third less or buy a rim sprocket system for that much. I thought someone on this site fairly recent said they were an Efco dealer and could get parts or perhaps someone that sells Oregon could get what u need a little more reasonable. If u had someone local would save on shipping.
I found the info below copied from a post in another forum about the cs 36:

This is an Efco 936/40 in John Deere colours.

I got a new drive sprocket and the chainsaw works perfectly now, thanks everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Back