Why do Amateurs think they know best???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In general, the most arrogant/cocky/over-confident fallers I've encountered are the ones that tear up their saws/bars and make big messes. The best fallers I've worked with have all been easy going guys who didn't talk themselves up, ever. Seems like a pattern that doesn't break.

I like to keep the super-saws away from my strip...I'll saw with those "slow" older guys.

I'm no pro logger, but I think you did the right thing. When you dealing with stubborn or foolish people, often the best thing to do kindly speak your peace and walk away.

In general, the most arrogant/cocky/over-confident fallers I've encountered are the ones that tear up their saws/bars and make big messes. The best fallers I've worked with have all been easy going guys who didn't talk themselves up, ever. Seems like a pattern that doesn't break.

I like to keep the super-saws away from my strip...I'll saw with those "slow" older guys.

Yup...there's a reason they got older. Some guys don't.

I'm a know-it-all amateur and I found this post very offensive! I am, however, most definitely old and slow:biggrin:

Well I'm still alive and know when to walk away.

I was a full time faller but can't do it full time now as my elbows are shot but I still cut mainly for myself and to help out folks when they need it

No harm done. Stick around, this is a pretty good place. Where do you work when you're working?

Here in the Highlands and in NC and VA when I'm stateside......I'm married to a Virginia belle sorry bout the post it came over wrong me thinks .......just don't like folks being hurt due to folkjs doing things that avoidable

Stick around, I wasn't knocking on you, just adding my bit to something that a lot of us encounter on the job.

Here in the Highlands and in NC and VA when I'm stateside......I'm married to a Virginia belle sorry bout the post it came over wrong me thinks .......just don't like folks being hurt due to folkjs doing things that avoidable

Scottish Highlands?

When you watch someone work, that is highly skilled and comfortable with the job, it appears to be easy, leading the ignorant to believe anyone should be able to just get to it. They need to watch a Snelling video.

Because they read up on it at log your ground.com. You were the hands on part.

When you watch someone work, that is highly skilled and comfortable with the job, it appears to be easy, leading the ignorant to believe anyone should be able to just get to it. They need to watch a Snelling video.

The one where he drops the tree on his head? Thanks brother, you now owe me for one complete keyboard/monitor coffee spray removal. :msp_biggrin:

You boys are very bad.

Nope, without a forester present, how can you ever figure out how to get a tree on the ground? Then out of the woods? :D Paint and flagging, paint and flagging...

Well I never have that problem maybe because I charge for treework:) I do however have those that ask 100 questions lol and try to answer before I do. On a few instances I had to put cones out with a sign no home owners allowed beyond this point lol. I really don't mind them watching as long at its at a distance determined by myself as safe!

people can be dense . run in to folks getting in the way now and then , at the last city park job eventhough the park was closed and well marked they would pop up at the worst poss moment. had to have the police down there once. on residential jobs if they get in the way to much i'll just shut down and tell them if they don't stay out of the way we will pull out and they will be billed for the time there and travel and they can hire some one else. that works so far.

You boys are very bad.

Nope, without a forester present........

If we could only cut, skid, load and haul when the forester was present we'd be starting late, working 'til mid afternoon, and going home early.

No, that isn't quite right...we'd also be shutting down for awhile in the middle of the day while the forester was out "checking things". "Checking things" usually means they're having a nap in a shady quiet spot somewhere. :msp_biggrin:

If we could only cut, skid, load and haul when the forester was present we'd be starting late, working 'til mid afternoon, and going home early.

No, that isn't quite right...we'd also be shutting down for awhile in the middle of the day while the forester was out "checking things". "Checking things" usually means they're having a nap in a shady quiet spot somewhere. :msp_biggrin:

I call it, Checking Stuff. And sometimes they are late because they've beat the crew up to the unit but then have to move the pickup because the Faller Gods:bowdown: need to park in that exact spot just because they can. They are late because the Donettos shipment hadn't arrived at the minimart on time. :D

Then the forester has to go find another parking place and by that time, there are none left. So, she's either got to park 5 miles down the road, or get out the saw and cut out a spot and that makes her tired and in need of that nap.

There!

I sincerely enjoy... being asked a question, and before I finish giving my answer being told I'm completely wrong :buttkick: Makes it hard to edumacate people when they already believe they know everything, I'm learning to walk away and let them struggle or hurt themselves... maybe after a little while I'll come back and show them how I would have done it... Assuming they want to listen.

As long as im not working in the adk park dont have to worry about foresters. The worst where the hos when i did storm work for the powercompany. Some one allways wanted to complain or tell you how to do it. Simple fix start up 70cc plus saw and just let it "warm up" for a while. If the were real jerks we would pack up and leave. Tell the line guys to put them on last.

Back