Why do so many slam the MS290 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up an 029 Super, and in the little I've worked on it, it's pretty plasticy to me. I am not sure how I feel about the clam shell design, and not sure if it can be modified in any way, other than muffler. And maybe that is just fine on them, I am not sure. The crankcase looks like it's the same as the MS290, which must be plastic. I'm not sure I like that...but...

It does seem Stihl in quality, and they seem durable.

I'm going to lend this to a buddy who cuts his own firewood that he gets from a tree service buddy of his. It is usually in rounds or sections, and he cuts it and splits it by hand. 2 wood stoves in a small house built around 1900 so it's pretty old (with an era-addition).

He uses a Homelite, not sure what model, but it's a 40cc-45cc saw that he got from a big box store. I think the 029 Super will be a big improvement for him. I want to sharpen the blade, but would like to muffler mod it, remove the limiters, and re-tune it before I give it to him.

Clam shell motors like the 334/335/336/338/339 ..............

Last edited:
Clam shell motors like the 334/335/336/338/339
Hey, don't forget the 336, don't wanna leave any out...I have one of those! ;)

That little saw runs nice for me. That little ugly ducklin' leaves a smile on my face...:)

But what does that mean, can you not port the saws at all? Can the exhaust and/or intake still be opened up? Or do they just not respond well? Seems that some of the clamshells have been modified, possibly the RedMax stratos???

In this case "great" means "overweight underpowered plastic carpal tunnel mashine", but we don't have that problem here, as it isn't offered for sale.......:sucks:
I am a bit vibe sensitive in my older years lol That's my only complaint about the 290 it has way more vibes than a 455 husky or 2159 But then Stihl never made a smooth saw other than the 441 or 361 the rest suck in that department,No better than a Mac with Anti vibe.
My hands would tingle for hours after only cutting a Cord of wood with old Rigid handle saw's. I could cut all day with my 2550 as it has a great anti vibe . But different Stroke for different Folks. I have a tendency to run the saw until I have a truck and trailer load, And only stopping to refuel, some my take a break. The wight of the saw is much less than lifting that round of firewood into the back of a truck or trailer.Or like I do now just switch saw's when one runs out of fuel.

In this case "great" means "Heavyweight powerful plastic wood eating mashine", but we regretable don't have that model here, as it isn't offered for sale.......:cry:

Niko,

I could send you one.

Your buddy,

ole joat

I have been here for a while and have done a lot of reading and not much posting. Anyway, I have read a lot of slamming of the MS290, and I don't really know why. I have a 290 with a 20" bar and have really been happy with it. I mostly have been cutting oak, maple, locust, cherry, and recently cut up a walnut tree that fell over. I am a landowner, not a professional, and althought the saw doesn't get used every day for hours, it gets it fair share of use and I have had no problems and I feel it has plenty of power for the kind of wood I cut. So far this year I have cut up about 10 cord or firewood and done a lot of clearing and cleanup around the property. I really do enjoy this site and have gotten a lot of information from it and a few laughs too. :clap:

Todd

:agree2:

I used my 290 for about 7-8 years before I toasted the piston. That happened before I found this site and If I knew then what I know now, no doubt I would have replaced an impulse line or fuel line etc. and resolved the problem before frying the piston and would still be running her.

With that said, the 290 for me was a fine saw for a great price. With an 18inch bar often buried in oak, it did the job well. Especially with a fresh chain...quite enjoyable to run.

There are those who have to mod & improve every saw they own and get that extra 2-3 seconds out of every cut and there are guys like you and me who want/ need a good reliable saw that is easy to run and maintain. Neither is better than the other. IMHO

Rob

Spacey,

Yep. I remember 3 years ago when Niko received an early Christmas gift.

Space, you're stihl on my list. I need a few hints, so please help ole santajoat.

ole joat

Rock out about 10 chains and then drop them off at Tommy's while he's a lunch with a note saying you'll be back at 4. That's as good a Christmas present as any. :)

029S and 039 work fine for me

I do not cut much wood, mainly for charity, so when I started into this venture I decided to wait until 2 weeks after an ice storm and find a barely used saw for a good price. Got an 029 Super that had seen 3 tanks of gas. It is fine, but not as much power as I wanted when I started sawing bigger stuff.

So I decided to try and find an 039 / 390, which many on this forum will know is the same size and weight saw, just more displacement. Picked one up last spring from Craigs List. It had seen more use, but seemed to be fine. Didn't get to sink it in anything big until yesterday, when we started cutting again. It's going to be about all I'll need. Granted, the 361/362 would be a bit more power, more torque, and more comfortable, but I doubt I'll ever wear out my 039, and I do not experience the vibration issues simply because I don't cut that much, and then only every couple of Saturdays.

I'd really like a 460, but it weighs even more, and the 039 seems to have sufficient power for my needs with a 20" bar. I was pleasantly surprised Saturday with what I had.

If I had the funds, I would have bought a better saw. But I don't make a nickel doing this; I'm just having fun helping people keep warm.

290 bashing...

New guy here.

I've got an 029 super that I've had for over ten years.
It has been a very good saw for me.

I'm a homeowner/weekend warrior
I cut about 8-10 cords of firewood annually.

No mods, and no plans to.

I had a bit of a vexing oiling issue, but finally took the pump out and disgorged a nice sized "booger" of congealed oil from the cirulatory system.
(I'm guessing that may have been from mixing stihls' "eco vegetable type oil" with standard petro based oil and age. I haven't tried it on cutting a log yet, but I think I've got it solved. Seems to oil just fine now. We'll see

Sharp chains make all the difference.

My 2 cents...

Rock out about 10 chains and then drop them off at Tommy's while he's a lunch with a note saying you'll be back at 4. That's as good a Christmas present as any. :)

That was low,GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I don't wish you any bad luck but when you do go to hell I hope you land right on the devils pitchfork balls first,GRR

Latest posts

Back