Why do the chainsaw gods frown upon me so?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurrealCortex

Reaction score
All right here is the problem…
My Husqvarna 338xpt has been running beautifully up until a few days ago. When last I shut it down it was running great. Then I pull it out one day and it simply will not start.
I tried all the usual things, checked for spark, got it. Checked and cleaned all the filters (air, fuel), cleaned the carb, poured a teaspoon of gas directly into the cylinder, nothing.
I got a brand new sparkplug, gapped it to .02 inches (.5 mm) put it in and still nothing. Then out of desperation I pulled the cord while holding the trigger down to keep the carb wide open. This worked! It ran for a little while, and idled. It smoked at first around the exhaust but I attributed this to spilled fuel. It ran until I shut it off. I replaced the bar and the air filter and went to start it again, but now the same thing; it won’t start.
I removed the air filter again and tried it with the carb open and the trigger down, to repeat the conditions from before but still nothing.
I removed the brand new plug to examine it and it is covered with specks of carbon or possibly unburned oil, not sure?
I am always very careful of what type of fuel I use. I only use Sunoco now because last summer I destroyed a couple of very nice Stihl saws due to the high ethanol content in other station’s fuel. I always measure out my oil very carefully and shake the can thoroughly before refueling. Also I did notice that the exhaust and the carb seemed to spit unburned fuel after pulling away at it for awhile. Is this cause for concern or is it normal after attempting to start it for so long? Do you think I need to replace the valves? the cylinder doesn't appear scored, but not sure? Why does this keep happening to me? I seem to keep breaking saws and I thought I knew what the problem was but now I just wonder if it’s because I have somehow incurred the wrath of the gods…

SurrealCortex said:
My Husqvarna 338xpt has been running beautifully up until a few days ago. When last I shut it down it was running great. Then I pull it out one day and it simply will not start.
I tried all the usual things, checked for spark, got it. Checked and cleaned all the filters (air, fuel), cleaned the carb, poured a teaspoon of gas directly into the cylinder, nothing.
I got a brand new sparkplug, gapped it to .02 inches (.5 mm) put it in and still nothing. Then out of desperation I pulled the cord while holding the trigger down to keep the carb wide open. This worked! It ran for a little while, and idled. It smoked at first around the exhaust but I attributed this to spilled fuel. It ran until I shut it off. I replaced the bar and the air filter and went to start it again, but now the same thing; it won’t start.
I removed the air filter again and tried it with the carb open and the trigger down, to repeat the conditions from before but still nothing.
I removed the brand new plug to examine it and it is covered with specks of carbon or possibly unburned oil, not sure?
I am always very careful of what type of fuel I use. I only use Sunoco now because last summer I destroyed a couple of very nice Stihl saws due to the high ethanol content in other station’s fuel. I always measure out my oil very carefully and shake the can thoroughly before refueling. Also I did notice that the exhaust and the carb seemed to spit unburned fuel after pulling away at it for awhile. Is this cause for concern or is it normal after attempting to start it for so long? Do you think I need to replace the valves? the cylinder doesn't appear scored, but not sure? Why does this keep happening to me? I seem to keep breaking saws and I thought I knew what the problem was but now I just wonder if it’s because I have somehow incurred the wrath of the gods…

Sounds like you possibly have some dirt under your needle valve allowing gas to run on into your engine after you cut it off. I say this because you say it started only as you held the throttle wide open. Doing that allows alot of air in the cylinder, more than mix. That big pile of smoke you saw when it started was merely the cylinder clearing out all the mix that ran in the bottom of it from the last time you cut it off. Clean that carb needle valve and most likely your problem will ceased....

SurrealCortex said:
like thall said it sounds like a fuel problem, doesn't take much to booger up those little carbs. if you take your carb apart be careful you don't lose the little spring under the lever which you need to take out and give the hole a shot of carb cleaner. go for it.

sugarbush said:
like thall said it sounds like a fuel problem, doesn't take much to booger up those little carbs. if you take your carb apart be careful you don't lose the little spring under the lever which you need to take out and give the hole a shot of carb cleaner. go for it.

Hey Sugar ole Space replied to our fun the other nite, took it all in fun and good stride durn it. He didn't give me any schit so I guess you and me are gonna have to buy some fertilizer after all, just can't count on anything anymore, durnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn it,hahahaha

THALL10326 said:
Hey Sugar ole Space replied to our fun the other nite, took it all in fun and good stride durn it. He didn't give me any schit so I guess you and me are gonna have to buy some fertilizer after all, just can't count on anything anymore, durnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn it,hahahaha
that's ok, he probably coudn't get the load here on time anyway. I'll be planting potato's on good friday, that's in about two week's. say did you ask space if he had another eye.......... somewhere?

sugarbush said:
that's ok, he probably coudn't get the load here on time anyway. I'll be planting potato's on good friday, that's in about two week's. say did you ask space if he had another eye.......... somewhere?

Naaaaaaaa I didn't ask that one eyed sucker where his utter eye was. In fact he was making fun about it. He seemed to get a kick out of you and me yaking bout him. What kind of mators ya gonna be planting, I like better boys in this area, they do pretty good, tant no schit.............

THALL10326 said:
Naaaaaaaa I didn't ask that one eyed sucker where his utter eye was. In fact he was making fun about it. He seemed to get a kick out of you and me yaking bout him. What kind of mators ya gonna be planting, I like better boys in this area, they do pretty good, tant no schit.............
better boys are good, so are super fantastic which is what we planted last year. along with cherry tomato's. do you put a garden in? if not i've got plenty of room and can till up a spot for ya, but you'll have to weed it yourself.

sugarbush said:
better boys are good, so are super fantastic which is what we planted last year. along with cherry tomato's. do you put a garden in? if not i've got plenty of room and can till up a spot for ya, but you'll have to weed it yourself.

Fantastics are what my pop plants, he likes those alot. He's 81 and puts out two big gardens every year. Do I put a garden ya say, whatcha talking bout, hell yesem I put out a garden. Mine sorts sits near the road here. Last year I got a fine from the police for one of my mators. It got so big it fell of the vine and rolled out in the road and smacked a cop car in the door, 3 grand worth of damaged. Since the ole cop liked mator sandwiches he only fined me 2 bucks for not having a loaf of Wonder bread nearby,haha......

THALL10326 said:
Fantastics are what my pop plants, he likes those alot. He's 81 and puts out two big gardens every year. Do I put a garden ya say, whatcha talking bout, hell yesem I put out a garden. Mine sorts sits near the road here. Last year I got a fine from the police for one of my mators. It got so big it fell of the vine and rolled out in the road and smacked a cop car in the door, 3 grand worth of damaged. Since the ole cop liked mator sandwiches he only fined me 2 bucks for not having a loaf of Wonder bread nearby,haha......
I'm speechless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sugarbush said:
I'm speechless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha, thought ya would like that. Just so ya know only part of that story was a bunch of bull, look at my garden site, it is near the road. Pay no mind to that lil ole saw sitting there, thats one of my "smaller ones" Sugar, check out the garden spot.

THALL10326 said:
hahahaha, thought ya would like that. Just so ya know only part of that story was a bunch of bull, look at my garden site, it is near the road. Pay no mind to that lil ole saw sitting there, thats one of my "smaller ones" Sugar, check out the garden spot.

Durn it, no pic. Its over at the 051 For Milling Post Sugar, go take a look at it. I can't get it to come up here for some reason..

THALL10326 said:
I can't see all the way to virgina there's a bush in the way.

sugarbush said:
I can't see all the way to virgina there's a bush in the way.

Point out the bush Sugar, I'll grab a saw and rid that thing out the way,haha.

Latest posts

Back