why do wood cookies burn so slow?""???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot more to do with it than wether it's wet of dry wood. Wet wood just has more rules that need to be followed for success and wet cookies would be a no for me. Dry cookie chunks piled up over some dry but a limited source of spruce branches still starts out considerably slower although the fire has all the components for success it still labours without a strong heart base.
Why? The wood is dry, the fire is packed tight enough, it's stacked up so it has lots of initiative, lots of crevices to go between quickly but it takes its sweet time?
1) It's due to the majority of the surface area is of end grain.
2) there is no 'fines' like broken fibers (slivers), curves and bark to ignite quickly and in return would make the fire climb quickly. How high it climbs is determined by the incentive you give it. Higher means hotter.
Having said all that, the bigger the cookie the less crevices, the less side grain and cures.

Out side with green wood you may start with a dry base but the more green wood you have to burn the less dry you need. Just needs to be stacked tight. You are relying on the bark and fines .I starts out superficial but with enough it leads to a hot spot.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-makes-someone-a-logger.307622/ one fire is sloppy and not very high but has lots of dry in the one end. Lots of rules,
The tipi fire was 6 smaller green pines that I fell limbed and bucked
and the helper and I flipped the logs end for end and set a blaze in about a half hour. That's just the bark burning.
It was the first day working with him. A good worker but he only worked clean up with the feller buncher sites on day rate. Bottom line I wasn't watching what he was doing on his side and the one side was heavy. fire fell over before it got a hot spot and I believe it would have gone out so I ended up cutting it in as the flames died quickly.

There is a lot more to do with it than wether it's wet of try wood. Wet wood just has more rules that need to be followed for success and wet cookies would be a no for me. Dry cookie chunks piled up over some dry but a limited source of spruce branches still starts out considerably slower although the fire has all the components for success it still labours without a strong heart base.
Why? The wood is dry, the fire is packed tight enough, it's stacked up so it has lots of initiative, lots of crevices to go between quickly but it takes its sweet time?
2) there is no 'fines' like broken fibers (slivers), curves and bark to ignite quickly and in return would make the fire climb quickly. How high it climbs is determined by the incentive you give it. Higher means hotter.
Having said all that, the bigger the cookie the less crevices, the less side grain and cures.

Out side with green wood you may start with a dry base but the more green wood you have to burn the less dry you need. Just needs to be stacked tight. You are relying on the bark and fines .I starts out superficial but with enough it leads to a hot spot.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-makes-someone-a-logger.307622/ one fire is sloppy and not very high but has lots of dry in the one end. Lots of rules,
and the helper and I flipped the logs end for end and set a blaze in about a half hour. That's just the bark burning.
It was the first day working with him. A good worker but he only worked clean up with the feller buncher sites on day rate. Bottom line I wasn't watching what he was doing on his side and the one side was heavy. fire fell over before it got a hot spot and I believe it would have gone out so I ended up cutting it in as the flames died quickly.

it was over 8 month old oak..

It was dry about 8 months old just a fast fire for the kids to do smores....i was just shocked how much slower its burned then the split wood my wife bought at depot.....i think it would be great in a smoker broken up in chunks once it did burn the coals would have been perfect for cooking.....

I had a bunch of chunks and cookies from 3-4 years ago, didn't burn with a hoot compared to regular wood.

Since cookies look like a flying saucer I think it has something to do with aliens.

There is a lot more to do with it than wether it's wet of try wood. Wet wood just has more rules that need to be followed for success and wet cookies would be a no for me. Dry cookie chunks piled up over some dry but a limited source of spruce branches still starts out considerably slower although the fire has all the components for success it still labours without a strong heart base.

TLDR!

Now isn't that the beauty of the Internet.

I, as others can do some healthy journaling, videos, ect and we as individuals can take it or leave it.
In fact, I only post possibly about 30℅ of my long posts.
I'm pretty sure I haven't learnt a dang thing about porting saws since I got here.

In a nut shell:
I said; end grain bad! bark good!

If it is red oak, the open pores are probably letting much of the heat go right through instead of raising the temp of the wood. The "chimney effect" could also result in a certain amount of cooling, rather than heating the wood.
it's not specific to red oak or wet vs dry wood.
It's end grain vs burning the cross section

Latest posts

Back