Why do you care about chainsaw dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I see lots of threads about getting a dealer that they like when buying a chainsaw. I am curious why. How often do you bring your saw in? For me it would just be warranty problems. Is there that many? I have only bought two. I bought them at hardware stores, and had to teach myself features and assemble. Little annoying. But not a big thing.

I blow it out. Change air filter and plug. Oil sprocket on tip. Sharpern my own chain. Though I am sure a pro could do a lot better , I am just a self taught hack.

I am not a pro. So not overly worried about tuning for speed. Curious cause I like to screw with things though. I have read they come rich from factory for break in. I leave mine that way. I have maxed out my oiler. I don't go through enough to worry about cost.

Is this for pros who have them rebuilt because they get so many hours? I am thinking probably not an issue for me. Though I would put a new piston in and re-ring.

I have never cleaned my carb. I wouldn't be afraid to, bit a of a gear head. Just haven't noticed anything. I realize things degrade over time, and we don't notice them.

Is this something more for high end saws? Am I neglecting my saws?

I am just a hack with 40 acres, who likes to cut wood for heating, clean up and making trails. Looking to treat myself to a new saw in the $500 range.

I like to support local business. But other then sale,s of whatever I am buying, and parts, I don't go back.

The warranty doesn't mean very much when the person looking at your saw doesn't much about it. As much as I like Stihl's sales philosophy, it has holes. Very few hardware stores are go OPE (outdoor power equipment), and they wind up farming out the repair to the real OPE shops. I guess that's better than buying a Husqvarna from Lowe's or Home Depot, because they're not going to know what's going on. The other thing is the OPE's sell what they know is going to work, they don't inventory every saw in the manufacturer's line because some of the just aren't good. Yet another thing that the GOOD OPE's are doing is setting the saw up properly before it walks out the door, you think a hardware store or Lowe's knows the first thing about tuning a chainsaw? Lot's of reasons. If an OPE or saw shop sees your face and recognizes you as a patron, they'll take care of you where the others won't.

Pro saws will stand up much better than a homeowner saw if you're looking for maximum longevity. Stihl, Husky/Jred, Echo, Dolmar. Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge, what do you like? Don't go skimpy cutting firewood for heat, 6occ or even a 70cc's to get through some big hardwood if you need to.

Not a pro either. I bought my first chainsaw from a hardware store almost 40 years ago. I knew nothing about maintaining a saw beyond mix ratio - I used used motor oil for bar lube and outboard motor oil for mix. Didn't even own a file. Dealer sharpened my chain and made repeated repairs to my recoil. When I noticed they had replaced a machine screw in the block with a sheet metal screw, I was done. Shortly thereafter, I bought a new saw which has only been to the saw shop once because I couldn't figure out how to remove the carb. I had many saws since and only one has been to the shop as I thought they could tune it better than me, but with a $70 bill - never again. That said I still value my local saw shop. Bars, chains, mix, wedges, tools, bar nuts and other miscellaneous stuff, including trade-in saws. If I ever buy a new saw again, it will more than likely come from a local shop. The real moral to my story is buy a quality saw and the trips to the shop will be few. And a local saw shop offers value with its inventory of needed stuff.

Ron

How often you bring your saws in? I don't. Have I been lucky that they have not failed? Neglecting maintence? I prefer to do things myself. Read up. Which is what brought me here.

The last hardware store had small engine shop, it was just closed after 5 or 6 when I went in. I am looking to just mail order my next one, so I can get the model I want and price. If it fails, I will be sending it back manufacturer I am guessing. Same with firearms. I have two other saws, plus I don't make my living with a saw.

But I am really curious, how and why you bring your saws in.

What I am getting at is why do you even go back to the dealer? Are the saws breaking down, or are you have them maintain them for you?

The hardware store, I bought my Stihl from, did have a small engine shop. I just went after hours. I was ordering some parts for it from a dealer closer to me, and did learn some stuff I didn't know. Probably should have read the manual better. They closed though.

I will probably mail order next say, get the exact model I want, not what they happen to have, and shop for the price. If it fails under warranty I will have to ship it to manufacturer, same as I have done with guns. I don't make my living with my saw. So it bugs me, but I got other saws to use.

I like to read up an learn, and do it myself, which is what I came here.

I see your a new member, welcome. A lot of people here, myself included consider themselves chainsaw addicts. I collect saws, fix saws for myself and others, buy and sell on occasion, and make money with saws. I order most of my parts from the dealer, and I feel comfortable asking them technical questions if the need arises. It's my understanding that stihl does not fix pricing i.e. The better the dealer knows you the better deal you get. They are also great at supplying NLA parts from junk or abandoned saws. Some may even sell used saws that aren't worth being fixed or come in on trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two dealers near by...I like them they know me...here he comes another bone he's fixing up...but no always...one shop I walk right into the shop and and totally bypass the counter and the sign that says no customers beyond this point....sometimes I need there tech help and sometimes they have a question for me cause I work on engines for a living too....it is a social thing for me and a resource but I live in a community and am part of it I live in the country sort of but prob not as rural as parts of the up...its a complicated answer to a very simple question...but I don't really want to be a island of my own but relate to folks and see where there at too....prices it evens out you might pay full on some plastic thing for a pile of junk your fixing for the neighbor across the hill...but few weeks later the owner might say hay ck this out its yours if ya want it just buy the parts form me to fix it....on dealer never bought a saw from them other 3 in the last 15 yrs..not a big money maker but they don't seem to mind...

happy trails
the can

Sometimes I just want to order the saw, and have it arrive in a few days. Granted the time I take heewing and hawing over it, a local dealer could order it. I usually anguish over the purchase, read up, sometimes walk away cause so many choices, to come back in a few months or year. Once I make it up, I want it. Sometimes enjoy going shop to shop looking for what I want. Sometimes I don't.

I think I am going to splurge on Husky 545, which is expensive to me for a saw.

I have had to replace rope and recoil spring, but that is because I bought it from hardware store, and didn't know what easy start was. Took me awhile to learn what compression release was on the other saw. A good saw shop would be good for that. But I'd probably just walk in, pay and walk out anyways.

On various topics, I kept finding myself on this site. I never registered, because I thought it was for pros. But see there are some land owners just cutting wood. Hope I don't bug the pros. I know what it is like from various forums, to see the same question over and over again.

Harley dealers give you free hot dogs, I am told.

I was worried people were buying junk saws.

I have found different dealers have quoted me different prices on work and one dealer actually offered me to let me use there shop and tools for the time and effort it takes to helping them clean it up before closing. Another time when I needed a certain parts for a well worn tool which I had no issue with fixing using a good used part to save some money that shop manager went into the back after I asked him if he had any of the parts I needed that would work or if that part is one I would have any luck finding used for cheap and came out with the part which he sold me at below 95% below what it would cost new. That dealer unfortunately isn't very good at taking parts orders over the phone but with most everything else I have had come up they have done there best to save me as much money as I could possibly hope for. When the shaft got bent on my stihl weedeater they pulled a good one from there boneyard for me an charged me less than a buck. There are things that they fall short with but after the help that I have received there I check to see what they would want for parts before ordering thru ebay now. I will never turn down the part or parts I am needing at a price like that and who would? When I needed a muffler for a cheap poulan chainsaw they handed me a box of dead poulans that had probably 20 saws in it and said take it home look thru and take only the parts you are missing or in need of then return it and there are several more of these poulan parts saws boxes to look thru. If you want the box the price is based on scrap metal prices. Another dealer I have been to wouldn't even consider letting me have a used part and usually says I would be better just buying a whole new one from them and they will even throw in a free hat with any new stihl tool I buy there. I haven't bought any new tools there and probably won't either. One day I asked them about if they had any used stihl straight shaft weedeaters I could put a old FS75 motor on and they said that they don't ever come across parts for that item ever. Then they started trying to sell me a lawn mower for over a thousand dollars when I don't much of a lawn and already have two mowers I don't use but a few times a year which he should have already known since he sold me two different replacement mower air filters and primers together within a month prior.

An buying a replacement air filter at the dealer usually cost about half what the same item would run on ebay and no money is due until I pick up what I ordered. One time it took me two months to pick up a part which there normal policy is 3 weeks max time and it was still there an they were very understanding about the delay.

Some of my experiences:

Good dealer: young guy walks into the shop, says his old Jonsered chainsaw won't run right. Dealer pulls out a screwdriver at the counter, removes the spark arrestor, and fires it right up. Tells the guy that he can clean the screen or leave it off if he wants. Asks $5 for the 'repair'. I asked the dealer how he knew what was wrong right away. Said, he 'could tell'.

Good dealer: tells me that it is not worth it for him to repair an MS250 that was heavily damaged, compared to the value of the saw, and his shop repair rate. But talks me through the repair (total disassembly and rebuild), after I find a donor saw, and buy some parts from him.

Good dealer: guy walks into the shop with a busted off powerhead on his brush trimmer. Looks to me like he dropped it. Counter woman says that he must have tried running it with a damaged blade, which he admits. I ask her if there was a STIHL service bulletin which taught her this. She said, "No, just seen a few like this". Shows me how the broken plastic collar is more melted than cracked, due to shaft vibration.

Bad dealer: brought in a worn out rim sprocket to match for replacement. Counter woman asks, "What is that?"

Bad dealer: large retailer did not have common parts (rim sprocket, chain adjuster assembly) for one of their most popular saws (MS460), which put that saw out of commission for a few days.

Philbert

I've never had someone else work on a saw for me. I've owned maybe 10 total saws, only 2 were new. And i've fixed a few for friends. So, dealers are not important to me in that regard.
But, walking into a dealer to order a few minor parts, and getting a knowledgeable counter guy that acts like he wants the business is refreshing. That's who to buy saws from.
On the other hand, when the counter guy acts like you are wasting their time, and gives you the "dumb question" look, it really sucks.

I've gotton saws in straight from a dealer that were tuned so rich you'd think the choke was on and so lean they were turning 15000+ rpm. Chains just sharpened at dealers the wouldn't cut with no hook angle at all. I'm sure somewhere there is a good dealer but not around here. Steve

I was told by a master tech that they are set lean from factory to meet epa reg
Good point. So much stuff is coming this way now. In the past, I don't think I read my plugs. Just changed periodically.

I was discussing saws with someone who cuts a bit ad has some good saws. He mixes richer. I may do that. While I don't want a dog, speed isn't a huge issue for me, since I am not trying to make money.

I do see the addiction to saws. There are lots of applications, and while one saw does work for lots stuff, it can be nice to have one that is better for the task. I have an old Husky I have been meaning to repair. I also see the point in developing a relationship with a dealer. Though will probably order my next saw online, cause I want it.

Latest posts

Back